Books #28

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ive ordered a signed copy of Blue Sisters 😍

Got lots of lovelies coming from Waterstones in months to come.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Still really annoyed that my non book loving husband gets free Audiobooks on Spotify when I don't 😔

I've been binge reading Caroline Mitchell's books since they're on Kindle Unlimited. Have to say that she knows how to pull you into a story, and just when you think you have it figured out, she pulls numerous rabbits out of a hat and has you reeling.

Reactions: 4
I’ve finished Notes on a Scandal today - the subject was quite hard to read about. It’s been on my TBR for years so quite pleased to have this one off now.

I’ve just picked up The Whisper Man by Alex North.

Reactions: 4
I’ve started Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult. As someone with a small baby it’s very hard hitting and I’m not sure if I should carry on reading it, but if I don’t I won’t get closure. I’ve cried about 8 times already and I’m not even a quarter through 🙈

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Woohoo 4 months of half price Audible secured! 🥳 Now to browse the 2 for 1 sale. Recommendations welcome.
Ive only just had a look but see below.

Books Ive listened to and would recommend

Unnatural Causes - Dr Richard Shepherd (very interesting but he is quite an unlikeable man imo)

How To Build a Boat - Elaine Feeney (such a lovely feel good book, does have domestic violence-ish as a trigger but would liken it to Remarkably Bright Creatures, cosy listen)

Black Cake - Charmaine Wilkerson

Know My Name - Chanel Miller (trigger warning for sexual assault / depression / mental health) a must listen though imo. She is so strong.

Kim Jiyoung Born 1982 - Cho Nam - Joo (i struggled to follow this a bit on audio) quite topical if your tik tok feed is full of 4B videos at the moment.

Little Wing - Freya North.

Books Ive read and would recommend

Beartown - Fredrick Backman (duh! Might actually get the audio myself)

Queenie - Candice Carty-Williams

Bellies - Nicola Dinan (stunning, just beautiful writing. Slow and character led, wont be loved by everyone)

Books I have on my TBR or Wishlist

The Night She Disappeared - Lisa Jewell
Flatshare - Beth O'Leary
Talking At Night - Claire Daverley
The Other Half of Augusta Hope - Joanna Glen

• Heart
Woohoo 4 months of half price Audible secured! 🥳 Now to browse the 2 for 1 sale. Recommendations welcome.
I enjoyed Her Majesty’s Royal Coven by Juno Dawson. It’s narrated by Nicola Coughlan and I think she did a really good job.

I also enjoyed Boy Parts on audiobook

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I’ve currently got The Silkworm and Sweetpea sitting in my basket, but Sweetpea is on KU so I need one to replace that really as it seems a waste.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I have got all the way to mid-April and still not read a 5* book. I don't think my scoring has got any harsher. I have read some good books, but nothing 5* worthy.

15.5 months without buying a book. It feels so good to actually be going through the books I already own. I remember the joy I felt when I bought it and then feel a bit of joy that I am not buying it then. Then I feel happy knowing I haven't spent any money on it now and am making a dent in all the books I own. Not sure that makes any sense, but working through the books I own is just as good as buying books in a different way.

I recommend it!

• Heart
Reactions: 22
I have got all the way to mid-April and still not read a 5* book. I don't think my scoring has got any harsher. I have read some good books, but nothing 5* worthy.

15.5 months without buying a book. It feels so good to actually be going through the books I already own. I remember the joy I felt when I bought it and then feel a bit of joy that I am not buying it then. Then I feel happy knowing I haven't spent any money on it now and am making a dent in all the books I own. Not sure that makes any sense, but working through the books I own is just as good as buying books in a different way.

I recommend it!
I should screenshot this post to re-read when I’m stood near train station Foyles this weeek..

Maybe I should take over the coffee or dining table and transform it into a Waterstones/Foyles buy one get one half price or ‘books you’ve always meant to read’ table.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Not sure that makes any sense, but working through the books I own is just as good as buying books in a different way.
I get that! I feel a little sense of satisfaction when I can see the number of unread books on my Kindle dropping…and a on the flip side a slight sense of disappointment when I add a couple more to it. I think the call it buyers remorse! 😂

I recommend it!
I read my first 5 star since October last week. I only really got back into reading in 2021 and I have read some excellent books and I do wonder if nothing compares to them now.

Im not on a complete buying ban but Ive really slowed down on buying and trying to read the books I have and I think Ive read some great ones so far this year. I have got some library books now though which doesnt really help my TBR in any way but I figure that I'm using a resource that if we dont use we will lose and also helping my bank balance as its 3 books scrubbed off my wishlist.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Anyone else reading Piglet by Lottie hazel? I stumbled across it but really enjoying it. Probably one to avoid if you are recovering from an ED although so far it’s not explicitly about that it does involve a lot of food and talk of eating (some disordered).
I’m making it sound rubbish but I’m really enjoying the class element. Also what I loved about pineapple street. Class traitor/ class gosh out of water themes might be my new niche so if anyone has any recommendations in that area I’d be keen to hear them.

Not ignoring the recommendations from previous posts, just waiting for them to arrive at library.

Reactions: 8
Finished ‘wandering souls’

sad to say it was a disappointing read for me. Debating between 2 or 3 ⭐

It started off really strong and heartbreaking and I enjoyed the fiction mixed with facts sections however it then became really clunky to read. I didn’t enjoy the three perspectives one of them I felt I did nothing to the story. I would have liked to know more about the unnamed narrator.

as a second generation, immigrant child, I would have liked for the story to delve deeper into the issues immigrants faced when they first came to the country.

I felt like the story skipped by too quickly and we never really got to see how the main character and the siblings got to the point they did.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.