Books #28

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I love the positivity on this thread ❤

Also here with a couple of audiobook recommendations, although haven't finished either yet.

The Great Post Office Scandal - obvs extra topical lately as the hearings have restarted but something that I haven't really grasped the enormity of from the news, or got round to watching the ITV drama of. Really recommend the audiobook as it is read by the author and really fascinating. It's lengthy (18 hours or so) and feels a little repetitive in the earlier bits but I think that is kind of intentional to demonstrate the number of people's stories involved and the similarities (despite the Post Office insisting at the time that it was just them and noone else was having any issues). Listening to this with my husband otherwise I'd probably have binged my way through the rest of it as I really want to hear how it plays out.

Also got most of the way through Prima Facie by Suzie Miller as I had a long drive to and from a hen do this weekend solo. Jodie Comer's narration is fantastic, and the story really sucks you in. Definite TW for sexual assault though, its quite graphically described which I found hit me harder listening to it than would be the case reading it I think.

Reactions: 10
@epl000 I have the Post Office book, I haven't read it yet though but really interested in this as it's very much along my lines of work so am fascinated as to how it went so wrong.

I'm going to listen to Prima Facie when I get my next audible credit. I thought the play was amazing.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Also got most of the way through Prima Facie by Suzie Miller as I had a long drive to and from a hen do this weekend solo. Jodie Comer's narration is fantastic, and the story really sucks you in. Definite TW for sexual assault though, it’s quite graphically described which I found hit me harder listening to it than would be the case reading it I think.
the play was so good (but emotionally devastating) - i didn’t know jodie c did the narration for the book too, now i’m intrigued. i could see it definitely being a tough listen though.

It’s funny isn’t it, I often feel like if someone asks me what I’m doing that evening and I say “oh I’m hooked on X series on Netflix” they don’t bat any eyelid. But if I was to say “reading my book” people seem judgey. I hate that reading isn’t really seen as a hobby in the way others are. If you enjoy painting or craft for instance and said that’s how you’re spending your weekend people would be impressed, if you say you’re planning to spend it reading your book people think your lonely, boring or lazy.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 27
It’s funny isn’t it, I often feel like if someone asks me what I’m doing that evening and I say “oh I’m hooked on X series on Netflix” they don’t bat any eyelid. But if I was to say “reading my book” people seem judgey. I hate that reading isn’t really seen as a hobby in the way others are. If you enjoy painting or craft for instance and said that’s how you’re spending your weekend people would be impressed, if you say you’re planning to spend it reading your book people think your lonely, boring or lazy.
i can’t imagine anything worse than binge watching shows every night to me that’s boring. Its very rare I find a series I want to do that with, last series I did that with was Schits Creek lol

at least with books I feel my brain is getting a good workout with using my imagination and dont feel like I have wasted my evening 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I don't really like watching things, find it boring and get distracted a lot. Sometimes I'll get into a show but films are usually too long and boring for me. But agree people think it's weird, I guess it also has something to do with being able to watch stuff with other people, but it's not the same for books. I don't care though, I even started telling people I'll never watch stuff they're saying I should watch 🤣 it's not gonna happen. Tbh I think watching stuff seems a lot more lazy to me then reading 😅
---
i can’t imagine anything worse than binge watching shows every night to me that’s boring. Its very rare I find a series I want to do that with, last series I did that with was Schits Creek lol

at least with books I feel my brain is getting a good workout with using my imagination and dont feel like I have wasted my evening 🤣
I love schitts creek, I can watch funny stuff like that no problem 🤣

• Heart
I don't really like watching things, find it boring and get distracted a lot. Sometimes I'll get into a show but films are usually too long and boring for me. But agree people think it's weird, I guess it also has something to do with being able to watch stuff with other people, but it's not the same for books. I don't care though, I even started telling people I'll never watch stuff they're saying I should watch 🤣 it's not gonna happen. Tbh I think watching stuff seems a lot more lazy to me then reading 😅
---

I love schitts creek, I can watch funny stuff like that no problem 🤣
I'm exactly the same. I can't watch stuff for long and don't often watch films. Even if its something I want to watch I end up scrolling on my phone and miss half of it! I never worry too much about what people think of me if I read but I suppose I've never thought of reading as lazy!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
FINALLY FINISHED A BOOK 🥳😂

having listened to none of this is true via BorrowBox, I’m a firm audiobook fan now! I found myself willing the train to be delayed so I could listen to more! I pretty much guessed the twists around the 3/4 mark but still thoroughly enjoyed it!

also, re. people thinking reading books is boring/lazy, friends/colleagues/family really don’t get mr moon and i. We live in a bed sit, no kids so it’s just me, him and our cat. I’m the bookworm, he’s the gamer so we spend most nights sitting in companionable silence, me with my head stuck in a book, him with his headphones on playing video games with the cat curled up between us and it’s bliss. 🥰 so I say screw what other people think, you do you ❤

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 30
Started Clickbait by L.C. North yesterday on audible, smashed my way through it with 90 minutes left which I managed to finished during my work commute this morning and evening... Loved it! Just as good as her last one (The Ugly Truth), I only gave it 4 stars because of some narrative decisions I didn't like but it was gripping, so well written and I devoured it!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
The whole “reading v watching films and tv as pass times” discussion is so interesting! I love doing all depending on the mood I’m in. In my mind they’re actually pretty similar activities - they’re all about consuming and enjoying stories. Sometimes I do it with images I create through my own imagination, other times someone else does that creative stuff for me.

I don’t think I’ve ever come across the view that reading is lazy before, or if I have I’ve been oblivious to it!

• Heart
Reactions: 18
The whole “reading v watching films and tv as pass times” discussion is so interesting! I love doing all depending on the mood I’m in. In my mind they’re actually pretty similar activities - they’re all about consuming and enjoying stories. Sometimes I do it with images I create through my own imagination, other times someone else does that creative stuff for me.

I don’t think I’ve ever come across the view that reading is lazy before, or if I have I’ve been oblivious to it!
me neither! i’ve only ever heard the opposite (on the rare times where people pass comment) in that people think reading takes more effort than watching tv. never heard it described as lazy, not to my face anyway 🤣

seconding everything in your post. i don’t watch a huge amount of tv really (my downtime is always always reading) but they’re the same thing (stories of a kind) consumed in different ways imo. it’s just you rely on yourself to visualise one while the other is created for you.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I've always loved reading and I remember my granny coming to look for me in the summer holidays to find me curled up reading a book quite content. She said to me "you're never on your own when you can get lost in a book." 🥰 It has always stuck with me.
I don't think of reading as lazy, but I find I prefer to read over doing housework, for example. Then I feel bad I've not done my housework and prioritised reading but I love it so I'll just live with the dust. 😂
@Caffeine Fiend I have tried setting a timer for doing my housework and that's helped as I know it's only half an hour or whatever then I can get back to reading. It also reminds me of how much you can get done in a short period of time.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
FINALLY FINISHED A BOOK 🥳😂

having listened to none of this is true via BorrowBox, I’m a firm audiobook fan now! I found myself willing the train to be delayed so I could listen to more! I pretty much guessed the twists around the 3/4 mark but still thoroughly enjoyed it!

also, re. people thinking reading books is boring/lazy, friends/colleagues/family really don’t get mr moon and i. We live in a bed sit, no kids so it’s just me, him and our cat. I’m the bookworm, he’s the gamer so we spend most nights sitting in companionable silence, me with my head stuck in a book, him with his headphones on playing video games with the cat curled up between us and it’s bliss. 🥰 so I say screw what other people think, you do you ❤
A reading partner always finds a gaming one, Im sure of it.

Mine is a gaming golden retriever and I am a blanket hag who hisses if anyone interrupts her reading. He fetches me drinks and snacks. 😆
---
I've always loved reading and I remember my granny coming to look for me in the summer holidays to find me curled up reading a book quite content. She said to me "you're never on your own when you can get lost in a book." 🥰 It has always stuck with me.
I don't think of reading as lazy, but I find I prefer to read over doing housework, for example. Then I feel bad I've not done my housework and prioritised reading but I love it so I'll just live with the dust. 😂
@Caffeine Fiend I have tried setting a timer for doing my housework and that's helped as I know it's only half an hour or whatever then I can get back to reading. It also reminds me of how much you can get done in a short period of time.
Timers for the win 🎉 I also read when I should be doing house bits. Oh well 🙈

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
A reading partner always finds a gaming one, Im sure of it.

Mine is a gaming golden retriever and I am a blanket hag who hisses if anyone interrupts her reading. He fetches me drinks and snacks. 😆
---

Timers for the win 🎉 I also read when I should be doing house bits. Oh well 🙈
I’m also married to a gamer!
We do watch TV together too but I’m usually doing something else at the same time some kind of craft (or scrolling 🫣 and regretting it).

The response I tend to get to how many books I’ve read in a year is ‘how do you find the time??’ So more of an inference that they’re too busy/work longer hours etc, actually my job is quite demanding and I often work into the evening but I think we all make time for the things we want if we can. I’m a night owl so isn’t unusual for me to read 11.00-00.30ish.

Also chiming in with the timers - I set a timer for a ‘power hour’ to get stuff done, usually that’s enough to get my in to the task and spend longer doing whatever boring thing it is.. tidying up. I need to know there’s an end point or I can’t start! Even with work, I’m so productive the 45-60 min before a call starts.
---
Oh I actually came to the thread to post this relating to my 3 book binge last week..

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Finally finished Never Lie 🤦🏻‍♀️ that was a slog
Not sure what’s next but I need a Freida break

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.