Books #25 Reading Chats.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve struggled to get into anything since None of this is true. It was just so good nothing I picked up has grabbed me. I’ve started and put down 3 books 🤦🏻‍♀️ I’ve just started How to Disappear on audio and so far it’s very good
I’m also reading Nineteen Steps by Milly Bobby Brown but I’m only 20 pages in so far

Reactions: 4
There have been a few posts about a line in a book being impossible to read, because it says something like "it's a good job we got a job lot of masks"

To me that's just English but it has blown the Americans minds 🤣
Screeching tangent here. I remember reading an article that said if you wanted to hear a pretty accurate Elizabethan English accent then listen to the hillbillies from a certain area in the south. As the community is incredibly insular, they've managed to retain accents not terribly far off from the original settlers.

I'm going to Google this in case I saw it in a fever dream 🙃

Edited to add this link: https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20190623-the-us-island-that-speaks-elizabethan-english

May do some more research when I'm not being harassed by both Biscuit offspring.

The Passengers is part of his speculative fiction/thriller world so real but with a twist (I.e. the sort of thing you could see happening if AI/monitoring etc went wrong) see first screenshot.

He also has traditional psychological thrillers like keep it in the family, see second screenshot.

So if you don't like the speculative side of things you might still like his normal thrillers 😊
@Smca53 i agree with @HoGi - don’t let one book put you off. Keep it in the Family is the latest I’ve read of his and I really enjoyed it. Mind you, I absolutely loved The Passengers too 😂

I think he’s fast becoming my favourite author though. I’ve joined a book group on FB and he’s mentioned A LOT. He even posts himself sometimes, it’s great.

On a separate note, I’ve just seen this post on there that made me laugh.

View attachment 2704283
I will be reading the others that I’ve got (I think I’ve got one from each of those screenshots) but I thought I’d love The Passengers as I actually really like the speculative fiction/thriller type of thing but it was the writing style I struggled with 🙈 the characters felt two dimensional and the twists just made me roll my eyes 😅 but I will remain open minded especially as I know he gets rave reviews! I’ll maybe pick from the non-speculative fiction set for my next go at his books

Reactions: 2
Has anyone read Never Never by Colleen Hoover and Tarryn Fisher? I have just finished it this afternoon and have questions.

I've just finished Medusa by Jessie Burton. Has anyone read this? It was short but I really enjoyed the alternative perspective. I have a question about the ending for anyone who might have read it, I'll put it behind a spoiler!

Am I being dense or did she change the ending of the Perseus and the Gorgon myth by having Medusa turn him to stone? I'm certain it's different but none of the Good reads reviews mentioned it so I started doubting myself as I'm not that good on my Greek myths...!

Don't buy the book, Never Never is probably a warning sign to not pick the book up.

The ook just started, then had a middle bit, then had an ending. None of which linked together? Or did they and I missed the 'mystery' bit of it. Then the book ends with no explanation about how or why it happened, how Charlie and Silas moved on or revealed why they lost their memory in the first place. Or did they lose their memories at all? There was just nothing, or at least nothing that made any sense.

I just don't know if I missed the point of the book.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Don't buy the book, Never Never is probably a warning sign to not pick the book up.

The ook just started, then had a middle bit, then had an ending. None of which linked together? Or did they and I missed the 'mystery' bit of it. Then the book ends with no explanation about how or why it happened, how Charlie and Silas moved on or revealed why they lost their memory in the first place. Or did they lose their memories at all? There was just nothing, or at least nothing that made any sense.

I just don't know if I missed the point of the book.
Ahhhh, ok. So not a good befuddled more of like a befucked

• Haha
Reactions: 1
A tad niche but I’ve just finished Guenther Steiners book. Big f1 fan here and can’t quite believe he’s not going to be on the grid next year. I’m now starting the next young bond book - Double or Die

A tad niche but I’ve just finished Guenther Steiners book. Big f1 fan here and can’t quite believe he’s not going to be on the grid next year. I’m now starting the next young bond book - Double or Die
I'm obsessed with F1. I thought about reading Guenther's book, but wasn't sure how it would read. I read Adrian Newey's How to Build a Car last year and found it surprisingly entertaining.
---
I just finished Demon Copperhead a few days ago. I'm kind of sad it's over as I haven't found myself caring about a character in a book for such a long time. I'm so into it that I even went to listen to the author on Dax Shepard's podcast and I gave up on that podcast years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
I’ve read Don’t Let Her Stay by Nicola Sanders in two sittings this weekend. A nice simple thriller, but it really gripped me.

Reactions: 3
preloved is putting my heart through an actual BLENDER guys:

IMG_4562.jpeg

i thought this book was going to be a sweet read about charity shops omg 😭😭

• Heart
Reactions: 12
*Runs off to buy…*
i would very much recommend it so far! it has hugely surprised me and really captures the ennui of being a woman in your mid to late thirties beautifully (which i know we vibe with) 💙

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.