Books #25 Reading Chats.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
PSA Charity Norman has a new book ‘coming soon’ called Home Truths. 🥳
if anyone hasn’t read The Secrets of Strangers by her I highly recommend.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I haven’t read a single thing all week, I’ve been plagued with migraines. I was just starting to get into babel but my head says nope ☹

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
Rather than reading Pratchett again, I'm looking for something else.
I've not read The Wizard of Earthsea since I was eleven; anyone remember if it is worth reading?
Or anything similar?
This isn't similar as such but I'm recommending it based on me liking Pratchett and it having a similar 'feel' (that may sound insane to some people but it had that 'climb into a different world' aspect)...
Have you read Hearts in Atlantis?

Reactions: 2
This isn't similar as such but I'm recommending it based on me liking Pratchett and it having a similar 'feel' (that may sound insane to some people but it had that 'climb into a different world' aspect)...
Have you read Hearts in Atlantis?
Yes, but now we're talking Stephen King I'm going to tell you to read either Sleeping Beauty or Fairy Tale!
Or, an absolute classic of his that a lot of people have missed out on, is The Eye of The Dragon!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Also worth checking if your library use borrowbox or libby. There will be a wait for more popular titles but it's completely free. You just won't own the audio book.
BorrowBox is amazing! Perhaps the rules vary in each library, but I can borrow up to five audiobooks at any time. The loan is for 20 days, and I can renew it twice to have the loan for 60 days.

[Edited to correct the length of each borrowing period.]

Last edited:
Still plodding through All the Light We Cannot See. It feels so very long. Is it just me? I don’t hate the book but so far I’m not sure it lives up to the hype.
I didn't love this one. The way it moves around POV so quickly made it hard for me to connect to the characters.

I'm 500 pages into The Goldfinch, only 300 pages to go... I loved the first third of the book and I love Donna Tartt's writing. But 1) she needs a freaking editor ; 2) the plot is somewhat unnecessary, it's the least interesting part of the book imo (besides the initial 'big event') ; 3) I don't care for half of the characters (but others are some of the most interesting characters I've ever read about). Not sure how I will rate that book, definitely an unusual one 🤷‍♀️
I read this last year. For the first 100 pages or so, I thought it was going to be a solid 5 star favourite. Then the wheels started to come off. I found the way she writes people of different races uncomfortable and there was some other stuff that was unchallenged. I didn't really buy the overall plot, either. I do, however, seem to be in the minority of people who didn't like it.

Reactions: 4
Yes, but now we're talking Stephen King I'm going to tell you to read either Sleeping Beauty or Fairy Tale!
Or, an absolute classic of his that a lot of people have missed out on, is The Eye of The Dragon!
I've never read any of them! I'll be honest, I've read very little Stephen King and I think I chose HIA for the cover and the blurb rather than the author. It was years ago and I borrowed it from an actual library. I just remember feeling terribly sad when it was over (does anyone else get book grief or am I just weird?). I'll add your recommendations to my list though. I'll start with EOTD.

Yeah I agree. I’m finding it hard to connect to the characters as it changes between POV and also different time periods. 😵💫
I love how everyone has different opinions haha. I really enjoyed the pacing of the characters, kept it more interesting for me.

Reactions: 5
I love how everyone has different opinions haha. I really enjoyed the pacing of the characters, kept it more interesting for me.
That’s interesting. I have warmed to Marie and her family but most of them I’m not connecting with. I’m not hating the book and I don’t want to put anyone off but for a book that’s been so hyped I don’t think it lives up to it for me.
it’s not a book I think oh I’ll pick that up of an evening, I’d rather read something else.

A court of mist and fury audiobook FINALLLY became available on libby for me so I've been hooked. I struggle reading/listening to 2 things at the once time so I'm going to try finish The Housemaids Secret before I continue with ACOMAF in my free time (exception being when I'm commuting and cleaning etc)

Reactions: 3
Finally got into BorrowBox after picking up my library card 👏 I can see the popular titles are on loan for months, so if I'm desperate to read those I'll just buy my own but for some of the lesser known stuff, I can see this being better for me than Audible. I'm cancelling the latter once this month's credit comes in.

currently reading trust by hernan diaz and honestly loving it. these kind of puzzle box, same story from different perspectives, books don’t always work for me but it’s very well done. going onto the list of pulitzer prize books i’ve actually liked (a small list).
a solid 4 stars from me to trust: the actual centre of the reveal was pretty obvious but the whole thing was very elegantly done.

i’ve spent the afternoon sheltering from the start of this storm and reading preloved by lauren bravo which i’m really liking so far. for my fellow sad girl lit enjoyers of this thread, i think this may be one you’ll enjoy (admittedly i’m not far in though).

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Got Libby and was excited to see what they had on offer - 12 audiobooks and none of them I fancy listening to. :(

I've just finished Fern Brady's book (Audiobook). I'd definitely recommend it but I also feel I need to sit quietly and think about it for a while. There's a lot in there that resonated for me.

I have 8 hours left this month on Spotify so that rules out Eye of the Dragon or Sara Cox's autobiography. I think I'll go for Denise Van Outen next (7hrs 42 mins) and then pair Rob Delaney's book with EOTD next month.

I'm so, so late to Spotify (embarrassingly so) but I feel like it could be really good for my soul. There's so much music I miss because I only have it on CD which limits it to the car and I've lost loads over the years through scratching etc. My Ipod had a fair bit on but it's nearly 14 years old and is surely likely to die soon. The added gift of audiobooks is such a draw that I might just pay after the trial expires.

Reactions: 10
I vowed to read books I wouldn't normally consider this year, and in that vein I've just finished another one.
It was really gripping and not what I was expecting. A bit of a rollercoaster at times. 😁
Gobbled it up in one day. 😋🤭
IMG_20240120_211153.jpg
IMG_20240120_211334.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.