Books #25 Reading Chats.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I read Penance recently and I thought it was a good book and flew through it but I didn't enjoy it if that makes any sense šŸ˜‚

I thought it could have been a bit shorter and I think with the unreliable narrator style and the ending, I wanted more closure after spending so long reading it. But I still think it was a good book and she achieved what she set out to create, more just related to my experience with it than a criticism of the book.

Reactions: 3
This isn't similar as such but I'm recommending it based on me liking Pratchett and it having a similar 'feel' (that may sound insane to some people but it had that 'climb into a different world' aspect)...
Have you read Hearts in Atlantis?
On the fantasy theme, has anyone read ''Momenticon'' or the just released ''Simul'' by Andrew Caldecott? I thought they were both brilliant! They also refer to paintings and painters I love, so its Art history as well!!
He also wrote the Rotherweird series. Where you have references to a real world, but in a fantastical kind of way.

And ''Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus?

I go through phases of finding nothing at all to enjoy reading, then find 3 books I love in short succession.

Reactions: 1
I am really liking it. I'm not a thriller reader tbf and didnt pick it up thinking it would be. I just thought Id get through it quicker šŸ¤£
I think I assumed Iā€™d be pulled into an unfolding story of different versions of what actually happened but the structure is more an examination of the perpetrators.

*reads two Strike books and expects anything crime related to be a whodunit
---
I read Penance recently and I thought it was a good book and flew through it but I didn't enjoy it if that makes any sense šŸ˜‚

I thought it could have been a bit shorter and I think with the unreliable narrator style and the ending, I wanted more closure after spending so long reading it. But I still think it was a good book and she achieved what she set out to create, more just related to my experience with it than a criticism of the book.
Ah yes! Totally agree with your spoiler comment, that sums it up for me I think!

Reactions: 2

I also read Penance recently and agree with a lot of this!

I felt the book started off quite quickly but really slowed down towards the end, possibly because dealing with each of the girls stories in turn meant the were some bits that were repetitive. Iā€™m also totally the wrong age for all of the online chat room stuff so that also felt like a bit of a chore to plough through (my problem not the authors!).

My other gripe is with the ending and the whole unreliable narrator stuff. I know there were hints that his career was flawed so that should have been a clue, but because we really only heard his perspective on these stories throughout the book, to then turn around and the very and end question the reliability of it all is really frustrating. I find ambiguous endings lazy from an authors point of view. You have created this world and these characters, as a reader I want you to tell me what happens not to have to draw my own conclusions. If a narrator is unreliable let me see that all the way through, not just as a final flourish!

these were my feelings šŸ¤£

if sheā€™d stuck the landing then it would have been close to 5 stars for me but it ran out of steam so much at the end.
I ended up on 3.75/5 because I do feel like I'll think about it for a long time after reading it, but for me the ending was very predictable, rushed and underwhelming

I felt the book started off quite quickly but really slowed down towards the end, possibly because dealing with each of the girls stories in turn meant the were some bits that were repetitive. Iā€™m also totally the wrong age for all of the online chat room stuff so that also felt like a bit of a chore to plough through (my problem not the authors!).

My other gripe is with the ending and the whole unreliable narrator stuff. I know there were hints that his career was flawed so that should have been a clue, but because we really only heard his perspective on these stories throughout the book, to then turn around and the very and end question the reliability of it all is really frustrating. I find ambiguous endings lazy from an authors point of view. You have created this world and these characters, as a reader I want you to tell me what happens not to have to draw my own conclusions. If a narrator is unreliable let me see that all the way through, not just as a final flourish!
Ah yes, some repetition but at times felt like it wasnā€™t adding anything. I was looking for the inconsistencies in the stories but probably only picked out a couple.
I do think a lot of the chat room stuff could have been cut / reduced.
Absolutely agree on the ending, thinking about it now I wanted to be shown the narrator was unreliable not told in a short interview at the end. Eg. Other articles/podcast content interspersed that put forward other narratives, even finding out something like Angelicaā€™s dad paid to have sign off/more favourable representation in her section of the book

Ah yes, some repetition but at times felt like it wasnā€™t adding anything. I was looking for the inconsistencies in the stories but probably only picked out a couple.
I do think a lot of the chat room stuff could have been cut / reduced.
Absolutely agree on the ending, thinking about it now I wanted to be shown the narrator was unreliable not told in a short interview at the end. Eg. Other articles/podcast content interspersed that put forward other narratives, even finding out something like Angelicaā€™s dad paid to have sign off/more favourable representation in her section of the book
Totally agree with both of you!

I did use Tumblr in that time but it's made me realise how innocent I was reblogging cringe quotes and pics of the Olsen twins and Lauren Conrad when there was that wholeee other side to the site that I had zero clue about šŸ˜‚

• Haha
I've just finished Medusa by Jessie Burton. Has anyone read this? It was short but I really enjoyed the alternative perspective. I have a question about the ending for anyone who might have read it, I'll put it behind a spoiler!

Am I being dense or did she change the ending of the Perseus and the Gorgon myth by having Medusa turn him to stone? I'm certain it's different but none of the Good reads reviews mentioned it so I started doubting myself as I'm not that good on my Greek myths...!
Is the book good? I enjoy Myth retellings and this one's been on my list for a bit.

About your spoiler, yes, the ending is changed. In the myth Perseus beheads Medusa. He later uses her head as a weapon.

Totally agree with both of you!

I did use Tumblr in that time but it's made me realise how innocent I was reblogging cringe quotes and pics of the Olsen twins and Lauren Conrad when there was that wholeee other side to the site that I had zero clue about šŸ˜‚
What a throwback.. now I feel like putting Laguna Beach or the Hills on! šŸ«£

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Pies have you read Love & Virtue by Diana Reid? It came out in 2021 I think? Itā€™s set at one of the residential colleges at Sydney uni and explores stuff around class, academic ambition, and rape culture. I have it waiting on my TBR so will actually get around to reading it and report back!

Also putting Crushing on my TBR!
Thanks for this, for reasons I canā€™t properly explain I love books set in Aus šŸ¦˜

I'm obsessed with F1. I thought about reading Guenther's book, but wasn't sure how it would read. I read Adrian Newey's How to Build a Car last year and found it surprisingly entertaining.
---
I just finished Demon Copperhead a few days ago. I'm kind of sad it's over as I haven't found myself caring about a character in a book for such a long time. I'm so into it that I even went to listen to the author on Dax Shepard's podcast and I gave up on that podcast years ago.
I need to pick up Adrian Neweys book - Iā€™ve read a few F1 books in the last couple of years but for some reason not that one!

I managed to read a good chunk of babel last night and Iā€™m really enjoying it!

Pies have you read Love & Virtue by Diana Reid? It came out in 2021 I think? Itā€™s set at one of the residential colleges at Sydney uni and explores stuff around class, academic ambition, and rape culture. I have it waiting on my TBR so will actually get around to reading it and report back!

Also putting Crushing on my TBR!
I have the book actually but havenā€™t read it! I did read her other book ā€œseeing other peopleā€ thatā€™s why I picked it up, I just havenā€™t gotten around to reading it yet. Please do let me know how you find it!

I have the book actually but havenā€™t read it! I did read her other book ā€œseeing other peopleā€ thatā€™s why I picked it up, I just havenā€™t gotten around to reading it yet. Please do let me know how you find it!
Oh and I forgot to say, if you donā€™t have it on your list from when I preached about it in December - Green Dot by Madeleine Grey :)

Thanks to whoever recommended Preloved, I've just started it and loving it!

• Heart
Oh and I forgot to say, if you donā€™t have it on your list from when I preached about it in December - Green Dot by Madeleine Grey :)
Iā€™m reading this just now! Finding it quite readable but not a fan of the main character so far.
---
Thanks to whoever recommended Preloved, I've just started it and loving it!
I was influenced and got this today, so much for the book buying ban šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø šŸ˜‚

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
It was finally my turn for ACOTAR on Borrowbox, which unexpectedly dragged me out of my reading slump yesterday! I have A Court of Mist and Fury on there toošŸŽ‰

Reactions: 7
Iā€™m reading this just now! Finding it quite readable but not a fan of the main character so far.
---

I was influenced and got this today, so much for the book buying ban šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø šŸ˜‚
Yes I felt the same, she was very difficult to like but the story sucked me in.

Is the book good? I enjoy Myth retellings and this one's been on my list for a bit.

About your spoiler, yes, the ending is changed. In the myth Perseus beheads Medusa. He later uses her head as a weapon.
Aha thank you.

Yes I enjoyed it, worth a read I think (but I would caveat that with this being the first myth retelling book I've read so I'm not sure how it compares to others).

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.