Books #24 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just finished my favourite book of the year (love it when that happens in December!) The Bee Sting by Paul Murray. What a wild ride that was :oops:

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I think reading should be for fun and definitely for escapism. It’s not about numbers for me.
If I read a really good book I’ll often slow down because I don’t want it to end and then I’ll give it 24hr before starting a new book unless it’s the next one in a series.
I agree. For me the targets I started setting now are more about prioritising reading over scrolling social media as it's definitely more beneficial for me but I'm not going to speed read just to make the numbers.

Even then, if I prioritise reading over looking at my phone, I don't think I could read more that 100 books or so. I just like doing other stuff to and spend fair bit of time at the gym, so only have about 2-3h of free time in the evenings once everything is done.

what’s been everyone’s top book this year?

mine was Notes on an Execution.
Mine was Forth Wing/Iron Flame. Not because it's that amazing but it was the first book in a while that I was excited to read and got really into 😅
---
Anyone been traumatized by a book this year?
I was traumatised by how bad some books I read were if that counts? 🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
Just finished Brandon Sanderson’s secret project Frugal Wizard book. I was on a trip to London and I forgot how much reading you can get done when on public transport! I’m really pleased I’m getting back into reading. Nowhere near the numbers you guys are saying but I’m fairly certain I’ll hit my Goodreads target of 30 (1 more to go!).

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I think my focus in 2024 is more going to be about getting through some of my physical copies I’ve had for years that remain unread. Make sure I include at least 1 or 2 a month.

Also it’s dawned on me recently that the books that I have loved the most and want to keep on my bookshelf forever, I probably haven’t read again for at least. 10-15 years, maybe even more. So I think I’m also going to reread some favourites. It will be interesting to see if I still enjoy them as much as I think I did first time round.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
It's funny how we like to quantify our reading nowadays! Im still a sucker for it though 😂
This year I've read 69/50 and 26,900 pages. This thread has really motivated me this year 💓

I'm always keen to finish a book so that I can read another, it never feels like I'm reading them fast enough though!
There's too many books and not enough time 😪

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Just finished my favourite book of the year (love it when that happens in December!) The Bee Sting by Paul Murray. What a wild ride that was :oops:
I was thinking of reading this between Xmas and New Year, looks like a good one to get stuck into while I’ve for extra reading time!
---
I think my focus in 2024 is more going to be about getting through some of my physical copies I’ve had for years that remain unread. Make sure I include at least 1 or 2 a month.

Also it’s dawned on me recently that the books that I have loved the most and want to keep on my bookshelf forever, I probably haven’t read again for at least. 10-15 years, maybe even more. So I think I’m also going to reread some favourites. It will be interesting to see if I still enjoy them as much as I think I did first time round.
I was going to do another A-Z challenge but think I should prioritise a ‘24 in 2024’ and maybe complete the 23..

Reactions: 4
Yet again I have spent another year in hospital. I can read a 350ish page book in a day. I just finished a book that was 323 pages long in a day, I read 120 pages this morning, 100 over lunch, 50 ish late afternoon and then the rest just now. The Kindle usually says it will take 6hrs or so to read a regularly sized novel. There's nothing to do so you (I) just stay in bed, oh poor thing. (Anyone who gets that song lyric without a prize gets a medal!) I honestly don't have much else but to read, read, read

I am on 297 books I'd like to round it up to 300 but not sure I have any decent quick reads to fit in..

• Heart
Reactions: 25
I am happy to do the year round up questions tomorrow 🙂 obviously off work at the moment and have little else to do.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I’ve read 63 books this year.

I managed 25/26 for the alphabet challenge. I didn’t get a Z book, but will read one from my trilogy X, Y, Z, once it’s released. Just noticed my J book wasn’t showing. Mmmmmm not sure why? I read Just Got Real in February 23. So that makes 64 books.

I don’t think I’ll read another book this year, but I will listen to a few on audio.

IMG_2629.jpeg
IMG_2630.jpeg
IMG_2631.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Anyone been traumatized by a book this year?
Ethan Frome. I knew it was depressing, and it wasn't my first Wharton, but oh boy.

---

I was thinking of reading this between Xmas and New Year, looks like a good one to get stuck into while I’ve for extra reading time!
---

I was going to do another A-Z challenge but think I should prioritise a ‘24 in 2024’ and maybe complete the 23..
I'm also seven shy of completing my 23 in 23, and already working on my list for 2024 😅 I managed to read some books I'd owned for years, so counting that as a win.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Ive got £70 in Waterstones reward point things. So I am hopeful there is a hard back sale. I know generally that they are still more expensive than amazon/WH Smith but its free money isnt it.

Also I did get some bargains last year although remember the debacle with We Need To Remove This Post. Went on a 99p deal 2 days after I bought it. I got the hardback of Every Morning....... for under a fiver in the sale last year and it really is the loveliest little book. The illustrations are stunning.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Yet again I have spent another year in hospital. I can read a 350ish page book in a day. I just finished a book that was 323 pages long in a day, I read 120 pages this morning, 100 over lunch, 50 ish late afternoon and then the rest just now. The Kindle usually says it will take 6hrs or so to read a regularly sized novel. There's nothing to do so you (I) just stay in bed, oh poor thing. (Anyone who gets that song lyric without a prize gets a medal!) I honestly don't have much else but to read, read, read

I am on 297 books I'd like to round it up to 300 but not sure I have any decent quick reads to fit in..
PULP!
Had a few guesses to myself and discounted them.. the streets..nah.. corner shop..nope.. arctic monkeys.. then it appeared in my head!

Has anyone read Jarvis’ book?
---
Ive got £70 in Waterstones reward point things. So I am hopeful there is a hard back sale. I know generally that they are still more expensive than amazon/WH Smith but its free money isnt it.

Also I did get some bargains last year although remember the debacle with We Need To Remove This Post. Went on a 99p deal 2 days after I bought it. I got the hardback of Every Morning....... for under a fiver in the sale last year and it really is the loveliest little book. The illustrations are stunning.
I’ve prepped a ‘Sale’ wish list in anticipation! Too keen? Probably.. I’ve also saved my rewards for the sale!

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.