Books #24 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The Book Thief is a must read for me next year. I’m looking forward to it after reading so many positive reviews here.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Said it so many times but this thread is just wonderful 🥺

You're all such lovely people, you have no idea how touched I am by all your comments ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 28
I have been pretty quiet, I sadly lost a parent this week completely out of the blue. I feel like every single book I pick up, even the smut mentions death in some way.

Ive been watching all the stupidest crap on tv that I know for sure will not mention death. Inside M&S at Christmas. Inside Costco at Christmas. Inside McVities at Christmas. Cooking shows.

Does anyone have any book recs for me? Feel like I will never read The Winners at this point 😬
I'm so sorry for your loss. ❤

Those 'Inside' shows are great comfort TV. I also like panel shows like Would I lie to you when I need a proper escape. Ideally with comedians like Bob Mortimer with the best stories.

I can't think of a book suggestion right now but if/when I do I shall come back and post!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Those 'Inside' shows are great comfort TV. I also like panel shows like Would I lie to you when I need a proper escape. Ideally with comedians like Bob Mortimer with the best stories.
Love WILTY! Bob Mortimer is such a darling. I also love Gone Fishing with him and Paul Whitehouse even though I have zero interest in fishing.
My comfort series are Schitts Creek, Black Books, Green Wing, Still Game, Keeping Up Appearances in case you like any of them @Caffeine Fiend

Can’t think of any cheering book recommendations yet but when I do I’ll pop them on here.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
@Caffeine Fiend I’m so so sorry to hear that. There is truly no pain like it. All you can do is take each day as it comes and try and take care of yourself as much as you can. Sending love! ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I'm listening to the Good Girls Guide to Murder on Spotify, and for some reason my Spotify has started jumping around the chapters so if I'm listening to it when I'm out and about and don't notice, it either drops back 10 chapters (today went from 38 to 29) or ahead several (in the same session went from 35 to 41, completely spoiling the twist of the story). Anyone know why/how I stop that from happening?

I had it happen with a story based podcast I was listening to too, I plugged my phone into my car on the drive out and was happily playing episode 8 of 15 and then next thing you know it's playing episode 14 which has given away the plot twist.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 3
Love WILTY! Bob Mortimer is such a darling. I also love Gone Fishing with him and Paul Whitehouse even though I have zero interest in fishing.
My comfort series are Schitts Creek, Black Books, Green Wing, Still Game, Keeping Up Appearances in case you like any of them @Caffeine Fiend

Can’t think of any cheering book recommendations yet but when I do I’ll pop them on here.
So sorry to hear of your loss @Caffeine Fiend, hope you’re doing ok.

Can totally second Gone Fishing! I have zero interest in fishing but absolutely adore that programme. It’s great, cosy tv that just makes you feel nice.

I can’t think of any recommendations for books but I reckon if I was in your position I’d turn to old favourites from being much younger like Ronald Dahl or Enid Blyton - maybe something like The Twits or Famous Five!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
@Caffeine Fiend I’ve been reading The Sh!te Before Christmas. There’s no mention of death, although the main character does reconnect with her estranged mum. I’m not sure if that’d be triggering in any way, but if not it’s a festive and humorous read.

• Heart
I have been pretty quiet, I sadly lost a parent this week completely out of the blue. I feel like every single book I pick up, even the smut mentions death in some way.

Ive been watching all the stupidest crap on tv that I know for sure will not mention death. Inside M&S at Christmas. Inside Costco at Christmas. Inside McVities at Christmas. Cooking shows.

Does anyone have any book recs for me? Feel like I will never read The Winners at this point 😬
Sending my love to you and yours. I don't have any book suggestions (though I second the poster who said that they would recommend YA/childrens books, perhaps actually I could suggest some Terry Pratchett, his stories depending on the faction of Discworld you end up in can be very lighthearted and death free, though.... maybe not the ones that are actually centred around Death :/) but wanted to send my thoughts x

• Heart
@Caffeine Fiend So very sorry to hear this. I don't have any direct experience with this kind of loss but I've found colouring in books to be very helpful when my mind needs distracted. It's a good mix of focus whilst not requiring too much brain power, if you see what I mean. Amazon and The Works online store have lots of options that would easily arrive quite quickly.

Take care of yourself and I hope you have a good support network in the meatspace world too x

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Said it so many times but this thread is just wonderful 🥺

You're all such lovely people, you have no idea how touched I am by all your comments ❤
I haven’t been on here much but just saw this and had to comment, sending you so much love and strength, look after yourself, you’re in my thoughts xx

• Heart
Reactions: 8
@Caffeine Fiend I'm so so sorry for your loss and my deepest sympathies to you and your family. It may be too soon but I found Angels in my Hair by Lorna Byrne strangely comforting after I lost a parent.xx

• Heart
Not to piss on your parade, and I do love The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society, but there is death in that book, including the death of a parent
Oh God! Thank you for pointing that out, it completely slipped my mind 😢

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I'm listening to the Good Girls Guide to Murder on Spotify, and for some reason my Spotify has started jumping around the chapters so if I'm listening to it when I'm out and about and don't notice, it either drops back 10 chapters (today went from 38 to 29) or ahead several (in the same session went from 35 to 41, completely spoiling the twist of the story). Anyone know why/how I stop that from happening?

I had it happen with a story based podcast I was listening to too, I plugged my phone into my car on the drive out and was happily playing episode 8 of 15 and then next thing you know it's playing episode 14 which has given away the plot twist.
No advice on how to fix it unfortunately but this happens to me too.

Makes me very reluctant to continue using Spotify for audiobooks

So sorry for your loss 🌹❤ Sending you a lot of love.
I've experienced the same last year on New Years and I only watched shows like Too Hot To Handle for months and months 🙃

• Heart
Reactions: 7
So sorry for your loss 🌹❤ Sending you a lot of love.
I've experienced the same last year on New Years and I only watched shows like Too Hot To Handle for months and months 🙃
Yes thats what I will have to do or even comfort shows where if there is death I know its coming. I think I may start Gossip Girl again.

Ive got the radio times xmas edition so I will have a good look to see if there is anything that can be watched in that. Im sorry you had to experience it too :(

• Heart
Reactions: 12
@Caffeine Fiend sending you lots of hugs. I feel like so many books have some kind of reference to death somewhere. I'm pretty sure 'Worst Idea Ever' by Jane Fallon doesn't though and might just provide some light relief and comfort.

I finished the Three Dahlias by Katy Watson on the train into work this morning. Quite enjoyed it overall, a nice cosy murder mystery but the twist was quite predictable and it was a little slow and drawn out in places. Not bad though :) back to some seasonal trash romance next I think.

Not sure how much time I will have for reading over the next couple of weeks as it looks like we could be about to exchange contracts ready to move house early January so sadly lots of packing required. Will definitely have to listen to some audio books at the same time though.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.