Books #24 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Awww I wish it was me. Im v jealous. Im looking for hardbacks at a reasonable price of BT and UAY to go with my The Winners for my bookshelf.
Omg I might have to do that too ae the size of The Winners on my shelf next to my paperbacks of the others gives me anxiety. Especially as its so long it looks extra huge 😂

Or maybe ill just sell my hardback of The Winners and get a paperback. I can see myself rereading the first two but not the third, though I still need the whole set ad they have such a special place in my heart 😂 🥰

Eta: I've never heard of Abebooks before now but it has UAY for about £4 in hardback if that helps!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I’ve not read any Kristen Hannah yet but I do have The Great Alone high up on my tbr list for the new year.

Reactions: 2
I’m about 30% into Firefly Lane by Kristen Hannah and I think it’s going to be the last book of hers I read. For some reason her writing style just doesn’t work for me. I find it really basic and clunky. She doesn’t lead readers to speculate on characters or storylines, she sign posts things in the writing equivalent of big neon signs!! I feel like I’m reading a really bad YA coming of age novel.

I was one of the few (thats what it felt like anyway!) who hated The Four Winds even though the plot should have been right up my street and I’m feeling the exactly the same about this.

Apologies to anyone who’s a fan but I know I can moan in our safe little space here!
I haven't read the book of Firefly Lane but loved the TV show on Netflix 🙂
I did read one by her called 'Wild'. I picked it up at our train station book swap. It was readable and the story drew me in so worth a read, but subtle it was not. Writing was definitely very simple and bordering on cheese fest. I'd describe her as a palette cleanser author for after you read something pretty taxing or heavy

Reactions: 3
I have been pretty quiet, I sadly lost a parent this week completely out of the blue. I feel like every single book I pick up, even the smut mentions death in some way.

Ive been watching all the stupidest crap on tv that I know for sure will not mention death. Inside M&S at Christmas. Inside Costco at Christmas. Inside McVities at Christmas. Cooking shows.

Does anyone have any book recs for me? Feel like I will never read The Winners at this point 😬

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 52
I have been pretty quiet, I sadly lost a parent this week completely out of the blue. I feel like every single book I pick up, even the smut mentions death in some way.

Ive been watching all the stupidest crap on tv that I know for sure will not mention death. Inside M&S at Christmas. Inside Costco at Christmas. Inside McVities at Christmas. Cooking shows.

Does anyone have any book recs for me? Feel like I will never read The Winners at this point 😬
i am so sorry for your loss, sending you lots of hugs 💕

• Heart
Reactions: 1

So sorry for your loss, look after yourself ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 1

I'm so sorry for your loss Caffeine . Big hugs,.. I'll see if I can think of any book recs.. and when you are feeling stronger and more able to I highly recommend You are not Alone by Cariad Lloyd on the topic of grief.
---
Well look at me being a dumbass and signing up for The Winter Of Eternity by Karl Ove Knausgaard at over 700 pages. cos it was only £1.99 on Kindle . I haven't finished the first one in that series yet since I got it on Netgalley

• Heart
Reactions: 5

Ah darling I’m so sorry for your loss. I was in your shoes last year and I wouldn’t wish them on anyone. Perversely I sought out grief memoirs, I found solace in the shared experience. But if it’s comforting distraction you seek then I can totally understand that too. There is no wrong way to do this. Just look after yourself and your needs right now. Cosy comfy tv might be where it’s at for you at the moment, xxx

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Aww, lovely @Caffeine Fiend. I am so sorry for your loss. Losing a parent is so difficult and you suddenly find yourself walking an unforeseen path. You know where we all are if you need a natter. Be kind to yourself 💞

• Heart
Reactions: 8
@Caffeine Fiend So sorry to hear this, take care of yourself. ❤
This might not be for everyone, but after a bereavement a friend gave me All That Remains by Sue Black, a forensic anthropologist. I found it helpful.

• Heart

Aw I'm so sorry 💗 sending you a virtual hug! Take care of yourself.
---
I’m about 30% into Firefly Lane by Kristen Hannah and I think it’s going to be the last book of hers I read. For some reason her writing style just doesn’t work for me. I find it really basic and clunky. She doesn’t lead readers to speculate on characters or storylines, she sign posts things in the writing equivalent of big neon signs!! I feel like I’m reading a really bad YA coming of age novel.

I was one of the few (thats what it felt like anyway!) who hated The Four Winds even though the plot should have been right up my street and I’m feeling the exactly the same about this.

Apologies to anyone who’s a fan but I know I can moan in our safe little space here!
I find Kristin Hannah a bit hit and miss. I loved Firefly Lane (but hated the sequel, Fly Away), loved The Great Alone and The Nightingale. Agree with you that Four Winds was terrible it was a dnf for me. As was Winter Garden - the plot sounded right up my street but I just couldn't get into it it was so repetitive and slow.

• Heart
Reactions: 3

I'm so sorry for you loss, that's awful!

When I faced a sudden bereavement a few years ago the only things I could tolerate reading were children's/YA books that I liked when I was younger. I have no idea if this would work for anyone else, but the familiarity and simplicity of them really comforted me.

I'm sending you lots of virtual love x

• Heart
Reactions: 9

I’m so so sorry for your loss. Sending you love and you and your loved ones are in my thoughts. X

• Heart
Has anyone read The Book Thief? Years ago, I'd heard glowing recommendations from a few people (one an English teacher), but it's one of those situations where you've seen the film first and don't know if it's worth reading the book as well.

To add: I finished another death-related book last month - The First to Die at the End. It's the prequel to They Both Die at the End. (how cheerful is my tbr! 😂 ) Got to say, I preferred the latter. The prequel was very much the same book, only longer and more repetitive. There were still elements I liked, but overall I'd recommend just sticking with the first.
The Book Thief is my favourite book of all time! I read it as a late teen and it’s stuck with me ever since.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I’m so sorry for your loss @Caffeine Fiend
It’s never easy but must be particularly hard when it’s sudden and so close to Christmas. I hope you and your family are doing okay.

I know what you mean about being careful selecting books, I’m still the same years later.
Have you read The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society? Something lighthearted like that would make a nice read, or as someone else suggested some YA, maybe Judy Blume?
Take care xx

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I’m so sorry for your loss @Caffeine Fiend
It’s never easy but must be particularly hard when it’s sudden and so close to Christmas. I hope you and your family are doing okay.

I know what you mean about being careful selecting books, I’m still the same years later.
Have you read The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society? Something lighthearted like that would make a nice read, or as someone else suggested some YA, maybe Judy Blume?
Take care xx
Not to piss on your parade, and I do love The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society, but there is death in that book, including the death of a parent (don't want to spoil it for people).

Sending you a big hug @Caffeine Fiend . I'll try to think of cozy books that are light hearted.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.