Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
Just read my first (ok I admit not the first of the year) Christmas book. Window Shopping by Tessa Bailey and wow this was bad. The plot was ridiculous with a woman straight out of prison getting a job as a window dresser for a high end department store because the guy running it 'fancy's her. The 'dirty' talk made me laugh out loud and overall it was a mess.

Made me really sad as I have a few Tessa Bailey books on my TBR pile and now I don't want to read them in case they are all bad.
Oh no. I have this to read too. I dont mind Tessa Bailey. Some of her books are better than others I think.

Reactions: 1

ToolaRoola

VIP Member
I lost this thread and was wondering where you all were.
Ive been so busy lately which I shouldn’t complain about but it’s totally messed up my reading time! I’ve got the new Adele Parks - Just Between Us - from the library and have to finish it by next week 😬 Has anyone read it?
I've just finished it.

I enjoyed it but was really annoyed it mentioned lockdown as it was my 3rd book in a row that did 😒 but get why they did for the storyline.

AllieBee

VIP Member
Has anyone read The Book Thief? Years ago, I'd heard glowing recommendations from a few people (one an English teacher), but it's one of those situations where you've seen the film first and don't know if it's worth reading the book as well.

To add: I finished another death-related book last month - The First to Die at the End. It's the prequel to They Both Die at the End. (how cheerful is my tbr! 😂 ) Got to say, I preferred the latter. The prequel was very much the same book, only longer and more repetitive. There were still elements I liked, but overall I'd recommend just sticking with the first.
I loved the book but haven't seen the film so not sure!

JLXRD

VIP Member
Does anyone have any good recs around Anne Boleyn? Since seeing six I am obsessed with Tudor history and would love to read a historical fiction around her story

Big_Summer_Blowout

Chatty Member
Is anyone else putting off starting certain books because they want it to count towards their 2024/January reads instead of now which is basically not proper days or time? 😂

I have a kindle book called Happy New Year which will be my book of choice, then I’ve managed to get Demon Copperhead on audio which will be my listen, because it’s 21 hours long so definitely will get me into next year!
Me... I can't start so many because they're on my A-Z for 2024.

3 days to go...

Ashlgr

Has anyone read The Book Thief? Years ago, I'd heard glowing recommendations from a few people (one an English teacher), but it's one of those situations where you've seen the film first and don't know if it's worth reading the book as well.

To add: I finished another death-related book last month - The First to Die at the End. It's the prequel to They Both Die at the End. (how cheerful is my tbr! 😂 ) Got to say, I preferred the latter. The prequel was very much the same book, only longer and more repetitive. There were still elements I liked, but overall I'd recommend just sticking with the first.
Love the book! Read it before the film and I did enjoy the film but the book is even better.

mindlessness

VIP Member
I have the other 2 in the same series to read too. Got them all on 99p monthly deals 😆
I think I've read one of the others too? but forget which! Love a 99p deal! Though the covers really annoy me. I don't love the current cartoon cover trend anyway, and am not a fan of all the hidden faces on her books :LOL:

CommentBelow

Not on the Daily Deals list, but when I checked my wishlist this morning Penance by Eliza Clark is also showing as 99p. It was on my list because of the mentions it’s had here recently so sure other people will want it at that price too!
I knew that would happen as soon as I bought the hardback 🫣
Do like a physical copy though!

dinosaursideways

I've had Slow Horses on my list since, April - gone from 42nd to 17th place. My library are moving from Libby to Borrowbox in Feb and no holds or lists will migrate, so I don't think I'll ever get it! I bought it from Amazon for 99p recently but still kept my hold 🤫
That does mean, if you treat it like trying to get Glastonbury tickets, you could be the first person to reserve it on Borrowbox 😉 I managed to listen to Slow Horses and Dead Lions on Spotify before they brought in their official audiobooks and purged all the bootlegs (but all the novellas can still be found on there for free 🤫). With the really popular books with such long waitlists it does surprise me that the libraries don't get more electronic copies!

AllieBee

VIP Member
Has anyone read any Ruth Heald books, just finished one which I really enjoyed but looking at her others they all seem to be in a similar vein, so nit sure if I want to read any more or not?

mindlessness

VIP Member
Ive got so many on my list not sure I'll get through them all.

One December Day - Rachel Marks
A Holly Jolly Ever After - Sierra Simone and Julie Murphy
Lovelight Farms - B.K Borison
How To Lose A Guy Before Christmas - AJ Pine
In a Holidaze - Christina Lauren
Confessions of a Christmasholic - Joss Wood
A Merry Little Meet Cute - Julie Murphy and Sierra Simone
One Christmas Eve - Shari Low
Wreck The Halls - Tessa Bailey
Window Shopping - Tessa Bailey
Nick and Noel's Christmas Playlist - Codi Hall
The Christmas Star - Kate Forster
All I Want For Christmas - Maggie Knox
Second Chances in New Port Stephen - TJ Alexander

Thats quite alot 😂
Thank you! Off to look them all up. I read Lovelight Farms earlier this year and remember enjoying it! Not a 5 star read but not awful either.

nbt

VIP Member
I think a Christmas themed thriller might hit the spot, has anyone read The Night Before Christmas - Alex Pine? Or recommend something similar? Happy to pay a pound or two for a kindle edition.

I did see Silent Child by Sarah A Denzil is free at the moment, not even prime borrowing. That looks interesting.
Ahem, may I direct you to the Tattle book club thread with the one and only suggestion so far that may or may not get chosen for December… 😅