Books! #2 What are you reading, recommendations & reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just finished The Arrangement by Miranda Rijks - I thoroughly enjoyed it! There’s a big twist reveal at the end and I literally gasped and shrieked out loud as I read it - so much so my husband thought I’d got bad news in a text! It’s definitely not the best book I’ve ever read in terms of complexity but it kept me hooked all the way through which hasn’t happened with a few of my recent reads. It’s a real easy read and I’d highly recommend - 5 out of 5!
I've just downloaded it as I get it on Kindle Unlimited.

Thank you 🙂

Reactions: 4
image.jpg
2/3’s of the way through and it’s hard to put down. First book that made mad me cry too 😢

Reactions: 2
Finished Rachel’s Holiday by Marian Keyes. Probably one of the best books I’ve read in quite a long time. Absolutely loved it and I loved all the characters which was unusual🤣 the ending was great too 💗

Get a life, Chloe Brown by Talia Hibbert is next. Trying to get through the last few bits I have on my kindle which I’ve never read 😂 gotten through 3 books in the last 2 weeks though so I’m on a roll at the minute. I go through phases where I don’t stop reading or i won’t read for months. Making the most of this whilst it lasts😂

• Heart
Finished Rachel’s Holiday by Marian Keyes. Probably one of the best books I’ve read in quite a long time. Absolutely loved it and I loved all the characters which was unusual🤣 the ending was great too 💗

Get a life, Chloe Brown by Talia Hibbert is next. Trying to get through the last few bits I have on my kindle which I’ve never read 😂 gotten through 3 books in the last 2 weeks though so I’m on a roll at the minute. I go through phases where I don’t stop reading or i won’t read for months. Making the most of this whilst it lasts😂
I really enjoyed get a life Chloe brown....she’s written 2 others as a series but I’ve not read them yet x

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I really enjoyed get a life Chloe brown....she’s written 2 others as a series but I’ve not read them yet x
Yes I saw there were more in the series!! Will defo have a look at them if I enjoy this one. Never read anything by this author before!

I randomly just remembered a book I read years ago that I absolutely loved. Joanne Harris Five quarters of the Orange.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
I've just downloaded it as I get it on Kindle Unlimited.

Thank you 🙂
Me too. When I saw @Katykatykaty talk about it the other day I searched it (firstly to make sure I hadn’t already bought it and it was sitting there unread 🤦‍♀️) then saw it was free on prime reading! Just need to finish People Like Her first...

Love this thread ❤

• Heart
I really need to get my reading mojo back. I read 100 books both in 2019 and 2020 and so far this year I’ve finished 2 books and I’m pushing myself through another. I fell pregnant in December and my sickness has been intense from the start and I’m only now only getting a small bit in the morning before it passes. Also been so tired. Reading has just been hard to do. I really miss it but finding it hard to get back into the swing of things.

Any tips on getting back to it? Especially with pregnancy and then a newborn? I’m hoping I can still read a bit when baby comes because it’s like my one thing I really enjoy. (And I work in a library, kinda my job lol)

• Heart
I really need to get my reading mojo back. I read 100 books both in 2019 and 2020 and so far this year I’ve finished 2 books and I’m pushing myself through another. I fell pregnant in December and my sickness has been intense from the start and I’m only now only getting a small bit in the morning before it passes. Also been so tired. Reading has just been hard to do. I really miss it but finding it hard to get back into the swing of things.

Any tips on getting back to it? Especially with pregnancy and then a newborn? I’m hoping I can still read a bit when baby comes because it’s like my one thing I really enjoy. (And I work in a library, kinda my job lol)
I’ve never read as much before as I do now that I use the Kindle app on my phone. Instead of mindlessly scrolling through social media or the news etc, I make sure I open the Kindle app instead. It fills in all those random pockets of time - waiting for the kettle to boil, on the loo, while my son settles to sleep (thank god for dark mode!) etc. I only read a handful of books last year but this I’m part way through my 15th all thanks to the Kindle app.

Reactions: 8

Maybe try rereading a book you love? Or have you tried audiobooks? Can "read" while cleaning or cooking etc.

Otherwise what genres do you like and we might be able to recommend something we have liked that you haven't read yet? Although that might be teaching you to suck eggs as you work in a library so sorry if it comes across like that 😊

Reactions: 3
I don’t know why but I’ve loved the past few books I’ve read- sure I’m in for a spell of dodgy ones but all these I flew through.

Dreda Say Mitchell: The Spare Room
The Trapdoor- very fast paced thrillers, lots of twists, under 300 pages,

Adam Croft- Tell Me I’m Wrong (a woman suspects her school teacher husband of murdering two young boys).

Claire McGowan- rape trigger. A woman’s best friend accuses her husband of rape at a reunion weekend.

Sister in Law- Sue Watson. At a villa in Italy a woman’s BIL turns up with the wife from help.

All really good, 5/6 under 300 pages (so even if you hate them you won’t waste your life). I think I read these in about a week- 10 days. Kindle has saved my lockdown 😂

Attachments

I don’t know why but I’ve loved the past few books I’ve read- sure I’m in for a spell of dodgy ones but all these I flew through.

Adam Croft- Tell Me I’m Wrong (a woman suspects her school teacher husband of murdering two young boys).

Claire McGowan- rape trigger. A woman’s best friend accuses her husband of rape at a reunion weekend.

Sister in Law- Sue Watson. At a villa in Italy a woman’s BIL turns up with the wife from help.

All really good, 5/6 under 300 pages (so even if you hate them you won’t waste your life). I think I read these in about a week- 10 days. Kindle has saved my lockdown 😂
Thanks - I’ve added a couple of those to my TBR list!

• Heart
Thank you for the recommendations I had the spare room and what you did already on my kindle.....really need to stop buying books and forgetting about them....I’m attempting to buy no kindle books in April!

• Haha

Hi fellow library worker! Congratulations reading so many books and on being pregnant of course. I’ve been the same, I’ve gone through periods when I just can’t seem to read but this thread has been a huge boost as there are so many recommendations. I’ve always liked reading groups and talking about books with library customers but there’s been none of that in the pandemic but the Tattle book threads and our staff online group has helped.
People on here have made some great suggestions like re-reading an old favourite and I love audio books which I listen to in the car and when cooking or doing housework. I always wind down before bed with some reading. One thing that has really boosted my reading is during lockdowns it’s just been me and my husband at home and we were eating every meal in front of the tv. After dropping food down myself once too often I suggested we revert to eating at the dining room table for lunch and dinner BUT that we allowed ourselves to read while we eat. We go for two walks a day so have plenty of time to chat and catch up. Honestly it’s made us both so happy, we are enjoying both our food and our reading so much and we can discuss our books as well.
When the baby arrives it might be hard but even if you can only set aside a short period each day to read a bit it will be a little time for you. Using a kindle might be easier than holding a book and a sleeping baby! My sister in law read a load of books during night feeds - her babies liked long leisurely feeds in the middle of the night.
This thread is so nice, I love to check in here and get inspiration for new reads. You will get your reading groove back soon I hope. Take care xx

I’ve read a few of those! Really enjoyed the Sister in Law. It transported me to somewhere hot and it didn’t end in a predictable way.

Reactions: 5

Hello! First off, the brain fog with pregnancy is real. I really suffered with my last pregnancy on furlough and handling a toddler who was unamused about not seeing his friends for months 😬 There's some great suggestions here, such as switching to the Kindle app on your phone. What worked for me as well was re-reading lots of old favourites that helped reignite my love for reading. Also I really got into crime/thrillers which helped me plough through books. Claire Askew's All The Hidden Truths is excellent - all about a college shooting in Edinburgh. The last page is one of the best endings I have ever read. Her last book Cover Your Tracks was a real page turner for me too and I read it whilst heavily pregnant.

Good luck and hurrah for library workers!

Ahh congratulations on your pregnancy hopefully your sickness and tiredness starts to ease soon.
I only really rediscovered my love for reading after having my little girl (now 3.5!) I would read my kindle whilst waiting for hospital appointments and then when she was a newborn and slept a lot I would find there was only so much daytime tv I could watch so would read instead....also found it handy having the kindle app on my phone and when we would go out and she would fall asleep in the car I could sit on the drive and read my book!

When I had my Son I used to sit on the sofa with my knees up and lean him against my legs while I read and also while I was feeding him (much easier to do when breastfeeding as you keep 1 hand free. Something you can sit them in and rock with your feet works too. We're perfectly entitled to put baby down and do something for our own pleasure.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.