Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

silkytoes

I have been trying to find the name of a book for years that I read as a youngster (probably 9ish so around 1984). And absolutely cannot find it but the information i have is so vague.

It was about a little girl from i think the carribean but could be wrong and was about her family life. It had the most lovely illustrations (though I could be imagining them 😂).

I have sent emails and made calls to try and find the name of this book but had zero luck. Anyone have any idea on how I could find it?

I had similar with another book I read when younger but managed to find that one and it wasnt as good as I remember lol (hear the children calling).

Any advice in tracking books with limited information would be great.
There's a subreddit called r/whatsthatbook that's really good at tracking these things down. They do try get some more info from you like the cover etc if you can remember it.

There was one I asked about that they couldn't find but someone shared on another thread what places they used for their searches and that really helped as I managed to find it myself on one of them. Think Google books was one but can't find the post that had the list including the one I actually used!

Reactions: 1

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
Audible have a 2 for 1 sale atm. I got American Dirt and The Perfect Wife - JP Delaney for 1 credit.

My sister the serial killer is on the 2 for 1 and a few Marion Keyes books. I listen to Audio books a lot while I work. My usual preference are non fiction but have got these 2 as recommended.

LellsBells

VIP Member
if you’re looking for raunchy, with a good story line to boot check out someone like Tasmania Perry or Tilly Bagshawe, original sin, gold diggers, Fame, scandalous, they have tons, really good plots with full on sex scenes 😂

or Louise Bagshawe’s earlier books 😂 yes that MP Louise Bagshawe 😂

I read them years back, nothing wrong with a good sex scene once it’s got something more about it.

50 shades....hard pass. Pardon the pun
I’ll check them out! Thank you ☺

Rebecca Chance is another good author for bit of scandal and sex
fab, thank you! 😊

Gamu

VIP Member
Strangely I started When We Were Friends last week after having it on my shelf for about 5 years, I've never seen anything else about her. I gave up after 50 pages as I didn't like her writing style. Does it get better?
I really liked it. I think though I was probably into it quite quickly I don't recall persevering. The only one of her books I didn't like was The Honeymoon. I normally love a travel/holiday location novel.

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
What other genres of books do you like?
I tend to prefer non fiction on audio book so memoirs are good, biographies / auto biographies, true crime. That type of things. Ive also enjoyed books like Invisible Women which was really informative and eye opening. Would really recommend that one. Unnatural Causes was good too but the author annoyed me slightly. This is going to hurt, I loved, so funny.

Ive got one about Des Nielson to listen to I got on the £3 sale. Also listened to one recently County Lines about drug dealing in the UK. The same guy also did that also has one about Brexit I fancy. Im planning on using my credit this month for 'The Five by Hallie Rubenhold, its an indepth look at Jack The Ripper victims.

HoGi

VIP Member
I tried one of his (Matt Haig's) other books - I forgot the name now, something about time? Thought it was really overhyped so it put me off this one.
Yeh I don't like overhyped books. Midnight library definitely overhyped

I can understand why people who read modern fiction/chick lit would love it as it is different to the normal boy meets girl stories

Also felt a bit preachy to me and almost like reading a fable where there is a moral to be learnt.

Regina George

VIP Member
I've used it in the past, when there's an offer, and it took me out of my comfort zone with books. A tip for those currently using it, download as many books as you like, keep your Kindle in Aeroplane mode when tour trial ends and they'll stay in your library until you reconnect and Amazon take them back.
Omg amazing tip!! I’ve currently got the free trial so definitely going to do this!

potatowaffles

Currently 62% through cilka’s journey and I think I prefer it to the tattooist. Definitely going to have to take a break and read some easy fiction after this though 😂
Just finished it, I didn’t want it to end. I really loved it!! ❤

But I also read some articles online whereby survivors were talking terribly about it. 😩

Kitt

VIP Member
Thank you but it’s not that one. I had the full set of Narnia books in a box set and this was a single book on its own - I really wish I could remember more about it. One day I’m going to find it and realise it was no where near as good my heads made it out to be the longer the search has gone on.

I’m really racking my brains and the lion may have been a wolf or a fox. There was some of witch/hag character in it and there was a race against time to get help for the boy (or the lion/wolf/fox) to get help for the thorn in his foot as it was making him ill. I’m sure the cover was either black & white or quite muted colours and showed the boy and girl through the hedge/trees. It’s driving me mad thinking of it!
Isn’t that a fable? The Lion’s Paw or The Lion and the Mouse? Could it be something based off that?

prinnygrace

VIP Member
About to start Cilka’s Journey. It’s been sat on my kindle for ages and I keep putting off reading it because I know it’ll be nowhere near as good as the tattooist. Think it’s time I get it done though 🤣

My wife and I read daily, mainly Euro Crime or UK based thrillers. Currently Matt Brolly - The Crossing - set in Weston-Super-Mare.

prinnygrace

VIP Member
I loved this book too- Cilke is a queen isn’t she!
Finished it last night. Only took me 2 evenings😂 absolutely loved it. I put off reading it for ages thinking it wouldn’t be as good as the tattooist but I enjoyed it a lot more. Loved her story. Wish it could have continued to tell more of her story after the camp.

Notworthy

VIP Member
I loved An American Marriage too. We went to Manchester for the weekend and it rained so heavily the whole bloody time. I went to Waterstones at the Arndale Centre and bought An American Marriage and read it that weekend.

Also love David Baldacci so we must have similar tastes :)
Have you read any J P Delaney books, I love those 2.

Bgr101

VIP Member
Oooooh, I love a book thread.

I've just finished The Four Winds by Kristin Hannah which was good but so bleak. I'm currently reading It's Always the Husband by Michele Campbell which is old but I saw it recommended somewhere and liked the title. It's OK so far.
All her books are mega depressing i find !.