Books #18 Reading Chats.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So, the paper palace! I’m delighted I persevered. I did enjoy it, but it took a while for it to hit its stride. It was beautifully written, but too long.
I don’t think Anna dying added anything to the story. There wasn’t enough Wallace, easily my favourite character. I am not sure why there’s confusion or debate re ending, maybe it’s a blue dress/gold dress situation, but to my mind she chose Peter, until she didn’t. Wallace telling her that some swims you don’t regret until you take them was to my mind her telling her daughter that she won’t know what that alternative life with Jonas would be like unless she tries. She was willing Peter to join her in the pond that morning, to make the decision final for her…when he didn’t, and Jonas was there, that was that.
I would read another of her books. Thanks to those who recommended I stick with it!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
So, the paper palace! I’m delighted I persevered. I did enjoy it, but it took a while for it to hit its stride. It was beautifully written, but too long.
I don’t think Anna dying added anything to the story. There wasn’t enough Wallace, easily my favourite character. I am not sure why there’s confusion or debate re ending, maybe it’s a blue dress/gold dress situation, but to my mind she chose Peter, until she didn’t. Wallace telling her that some swims you don’t regret until you take them was to my mind her telling her daughter that she won’t know what that alternative life with Jonas would be like unless she tries. She was willing Peter to join her in the pond that morning, to make the decision final for her…when he didn’t, and Jonas was there, that was that.
I would read another of her books. Thanks to those who recommended I stick with it!
oooo cara i’m glad you stuck with it!

i am in full agreement with you about peter tbh - i think jonas represented a part of her life she honestly wanted to move on from. i was, however, so annoyed by peter’s passivity and thought the plot was building up to some confrontation or outpouring of emotions of some kind, that never happened. i was so mad that peter didn’t want to discuss things further after the house party incident. but i absolutely believe she chose jonas in the end but peter forced her hand a little. beautifully written book but it did frustrate me!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
oooo cara i’m glad you stuck with it!

i am in full agreement with you about peter tbh - i think jonas represented a part of her life she honestly wanted to move on from. i was, however, so annoyed by peter’s passivity and thought the plot was building up to some confrontation or outpouring of emotions of some kind, that never happened. i was so mad that peter didn’t want to discuss things further after the house party incident. but i absolutely believe she chose jonas in the end but peter forced her hand a little. beautifully written book but it did frustrate me!
Agreed on all counts. I think he believed what he wanted to believe. She won’t have her happy ending either way. Always wonder what if she chose the other I think.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Ohhhh you see I saw a completely different ending Remember her love of water and how she always wondered what drowning felt like? I took it that she decided to drown herself? Maybe I read too much into it lol. So glad you finished the book, it's one of my favourites from last year.

• Heart
So glad you persevered. I thought it was a great book. Me and my coworker discussed this book a lot and we had different interpretations of the ending! I'd definitely read more of her books.

• Heart
Ohhhh you see I saw a completely different ending Remember her love of water and how she always wondered what drowning felt like? I took it that she decided to drown herself? Maybe I read too much into it lol. So glad you finished the book, it's one of my favourites from last year.
Oh gosh that didn’t even cross my mind!
I love that you went so dark! But I don’t think she could have drowned herself then if she wanted to, with Jonas observing her from the other side, he’d surely have intervened!

I did lose track of some of the characters though.I kept getting Dixon and Elle’s dad confused and their significant others.

@Booklover i think it was your impassioned endorsement that kept me reading!

I have gone very light hearted for my next read with The Friend Zone by Abby Jimenez. It’s hilariously cliché but easy reading for a sunny wkend.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Just finished ‘commonwealth’ by Ann Patchet.

think its safe to say, i’m not a fan of hers, i despised dutch house and didnt rate this book highly either

it had a lot of potential, it’s a story of a blended family which is told throughout the years.

however it was hard to tell when the present was and when it would jump to past and then back to the present, it just didnt flow very well.

also there was far too many characters, one was focused on more but we got glimpses of the other kids but not in enough depth to care about them.

3 stars from me. I didnt hate it but wouldnt really recommend either

• Sad
Reactions: 3
How to motivate myself to read the book club book when I’m the organiser - the book sounds dire

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
Rosaline Palmer Takes the Cake - Alexis Hall.

Love his books, always so pleasing, and cute, and just lovely.

This is great for Bake Off lovers because it definitely isn't set in a baking show that is suspiciously Bake Off like. 😆

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
Rosaline Palmer Takes the Cake - Alexis Hall.

Love his books, always so pleasing, and cute, and just lovely.

This is great for Bake Off lovers because it definitely isn't set in a baking show that is suspiciously Bake Off like. 😆
this book was so cute and you NEED to read the sequel asap stephen!

Reactions: 1
Just finished ‘commonwealth’ by Ann Patchet.

think its safe to say, i’m not a fan of hers, i despised dutch house and didnt rate this book highly either

it had a lot of potential, it’s a story of a blended family which is told throughout the years.

however it was hard to tell when the present was and when it would jump to past and then back to the present, it just didnt flow very well.

also there was far too many characters, one was focused on more but we got glimpses of the other kids but not in enough depth to care about them.

3 stars from me. I didnt hate it but wouldnt really recommend either
Oh no I have that in my to read. I think it was made into a film too? I can’t remember if I liked Dutch house or not but I do know it was very hyped.

Oh no I have that in my to read. I think it was made into a film too? I can’t remember if I liked Dutch house or not but I do know it was very hyped.
yeh think dutch house, i went in with such high hopes because of the hype and then hated it. couldnt stand the main character. Such a whiney grown man baby.

Commomwealth had a lot of over descriptive writing which i just don’t like all the time, and alot of the time it took away from the actual story line.

for example its getting to the interesting part of the story that you want to actually read about then patchett spends half the page describing Everything around the character from the sky to the birds to the street and the bushes and sounds 🥱

If it the focus has been on the one character it would have worked more.

Reactions: 4
dutch house (like @Pinkii says) has the most irritating main character you will ever meet in your life 🤣 his sister was no better.

i liked commonwealth but a quirk i don’t like in patchett’s writing is that her lead characters are always so passive. the plot happens around them and even when they learn things they should be angry about or something happens that should have a huge impact….. it just doesn’t. there’s never any clear resolution and it bugs me!

she and anne tyler get compared a lot, which is fair, so i would say if you like/dislike one you’re probably going to feel the same about the other.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.