Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Carapop

VIP Member
Oh I absolutely loved What Lies Between Us! I couldn’t put it down! One of my top books of 2021 and one of a very small selection from the last couple years that I can actually remember the plot for. It’s definitely got a thriller vibe (which I love) so if you’re not into that that’ll be why you’re not getting on with it.
I thought there must have been a reason i got it! I was clearly influenced. I’m only a third through so i am not giving up just yet. I do think it’s a case of me and not the book tbf

HoGi

VIP Member
Its definitely an uncomfortable read. I say I dont like dystopian novels but when I read them I rate them highly 🙈

Its a hit or miss book. I know as many people who liked it than who didnt.
I loved the idea of it but I found it slow and repetitive.

Dystopian novels are some of my favourites and I feel that compared to others it was a bit lacking.

vanilla cupcakes

VIP Member
Oh Hi Me (again)

I loved this book and I cannot state enough that had someone told me the premise of the book and outside of this book Id have been like nope. Ick. Disgusting. Hell no.

However the author is so good at making you become invested in the relationships 😭

Prepared to be lynched here. Hate myself for it. 🙊

I listened on audible too
Oh that’s intriguing, I’m going to start tonight!

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
Ten of my wishlist went down to 99p today!

I'm currently reading Things We Never Got Over. Not only is it awful, with the most insufferable and unfanciable MMC, but it's about eleventy thousand pages long for a romance?
I thought it was way too long too. I dont mind long books (Im gonna be reading Pucking Around this month which is 700+) but this was too long.

I do want to read the sequel but its also almost 600 pages Im sure. 😬

mindlessness

VIP Member
american football romance you say?! *makes note*

i’m reading him by elle kennedy and sarina bowman right now - which is a hockey player with fellow hockey player romance and very fun so far, for my fellow hockey ladies 🤣

(i’m reading it while also watching the stanley cup playoffs, which is an interesting combo. all hockey all the time!)
Ohh yes enjoy! Mariana Zapata also has some sports romances worth a read. She's queen of the slow-burn. Kulti (football/soccer), The Wall of Winnipeg and Me (American football), Hands Down (American football) and From Lukov with Love (ice skating). I like her books because characters from other books might pop up but they're all stand-alones and there's not an order you must read them.
---
I'm going to need to finally buy Icebreaker aren't I?
Yes. :LOL:

ToolaRoola

VIP Member
Oh my goodness you are all such good readers! I do well to finish 1 book a month 🤣

I’ve just finished reading ‘Bunny’ by Mona Awad. Has anyone else read it? Seriously WTF have I just read? I can’t tell if it was genius or terrible? I also have a few theories about it

So I figured out quite early on that Ava wasn’t real. But my theory is that Samantha is actual in a mental institution and her tutors are therapist and the bunnies are other patients or possibly nurses (since they keep giving her tablets).
I DNF'd it as just couldn't get into it but your theory is interesting, kinda makes me want to try again and think of it from your perspective.

nbt

VIP Member
I just read Impossible (or The Impossible Us, it seems to go by two names) by Sarah Lolz in the space of about 18 hours. Absolutely not my genre, even less so once some time traveling-ish bits starting happening but it was an intriguing, fun book that kept me guessing right up until the end.
Ooh this is my I choice for A-Z. I’m wondering if it was an Amazon first read?

tam

Chatty Member
Currently reading The Lamplighters. Has anyone read it? Its quite slow but theres something about the writing style which has me hooked.

123lee

yeh thats what im Doing, i have zero interest in his gang days or andy 🥱 i want to know what happened to missiles and what the code is

such a shame its so boring compared to the appeal. Now i dont know if i want to read Alperton angels 😩
I haven’t read The Appeal yet - this one put me off picking it up - is it better?

I finished The Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware today and I’ve just picked up Catch me if you can by Frank W Abagnale . . . Had this one on the shelf for years!

OhDearFords

Chatty Member
I’m currently reading The Sanatorium. The reviews weren’t great on Goodreads but I was sucked in by the setting. Should have listened 😂
I read The Sanatorium last year, it was ok… I also liked the setting! That big posh hotel with secrets in the snow…

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
Has anyone read any books from the International Booker Prize list :

Boulder by Eva Baltasar

Time Shelter by Georgi Gospodinov

The Gospel According to the New AlWorld by Maryse Condé

Whale by Cheon Myeong-kwan

Standing Heavy by Gauz

Still Born by Guadelope Nettel

I haven't read any but I have added Still Born and Boulder. They are mostly all such books, but not cheap.

LaTortuga

Does anyone have the kindle 2022 , (the basic one that's £85 on amazon) ? I'm thinking of getting one as I've accumulated a lot of ebooks after signing up to bookbub a few years ago and their 99p deals😅but I've only got a kindle fire at the minute which I use more for netflix etc and find it isn't the best for reading on, especially outdoors.

If anyone has the kindle 2022 and could tell me their thoughts it would be very much appreciated 😊

Finished The Other Woman by Sandie Jones.

It's very slow in the beginning but picks up around half way through, lots of unnecessary additional information but a twist at the end. I had however worked it out before the reveal. 2 Stars - It was fine, nothing to write home about.

Carapop

VIP Member
Am halfway through Jennifer Egan’s a Visit from the Goon Squad. Critically acclaimed. Pulitzer Prize winning. It’s… fine? Maybe it picks up in second half…

anyone read it? What am I missing?

Pinkii

VIP Member
Just Finished Eringby.

Very meh. Very unlikeable characters 3 ⭐

I usually love through the years coming of age stories but this one was lacking something.

Have started the much recommended on here ‘the most fun we ever had’- Hopefully this one will be better.

kcab0231

Chatty Member
I read the mutual friend by carter bays this week - it zips around a lot from character to character/diff viewpoints but I really enjoyed it!

It’s by the same writer as how I met your mother and can definitely tell with the style/New York setting!

ToolaRoola

VIP Member
i would be intrigued to hear your thoughts!

if you don’t finish the book before you go, i would definitely try and read some trigger warnings online. they hopefully won’t be spoilery but will help you prepare yourself.
I've seen some bits about the triggers but just avoiding anything too detailed about the play.

I have a child free weekend and just finished some intense work study so have free time this weekend to hopefully make a dent in the book.