Books #15 Reading Chats!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think most of my favourite authors have been mentioned, so I’m just going to add Beatrix Potter to the list. I have such happy memories of reading about Peter Rabbits and Mrs Tiggywinkle when I was little with my parents.
My very favourite children's author, apart from Blyton was Noel Streatfeild. I loved those books! I also used to love a series of books about a girl called Jill who had a pony, but cannot for the life of me remember who wrote them. My mum kept all her childhood books and I preferred those to anything else!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Lot of my favourites already mentioned but others that haven't been are:
Dorothy Koomson
Catherine Ryan Howard
C J Skuse
Anna-Lou Weatherley

Reactions: 3
. Just a weird depressed gal that likes stories about weird depressed gals.
ha, same! 😍

I’m struggling with the fav female author question though, with the exception of Elizabeth Strout I’m not sure there’s any instance where I’ve read more than one (maybe two) books from any one author

I must go through my five star reads and see if I can change that!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 2
I don't know if I remember this correctly, but when i was a little girl I THINK they did magazines of the Agatha Christie books and you could collect special versions with the magazine, my nan has the full collection I remember she had a bookcase full at her old house with these special copies displayed

I don't know if I remember this correctly, but when i was a little girl I THINK they did magazines of the Agatha Christie books and you could collect special versions with the magazine, my nan has the full collection I remember she had a bookcase full at her old house with these special copies displayed
Yes they did. I have a few of them still in the wrapping so I doubt I'll ever open them to read 🙈 I have them stashed away somewhere.

I think most of my favourite authors have been mentioned, so I’m just going to add Beatrix Potter to the list. I have such happy memories of reading about Peter Rabbits and Mrs Tiggywinkle when I was little with my parents.
I haven’t kept a lot of things from when I was a child but two things I have kept are two sets of Beatrix Potter books. They’re lovely little collections and I remember reading them over and over as a child. They’ve managed to survive the regular culls I do through the house getting rid of stuff as I remember how much I loved them and can’t bear to part with them. I will read them to my son one day - he loves the Peter Rabbit films (as do I!).

Harper Lee - To Kill A Mockingbird will stay with me for the rest of my life.

Go Set A Watchman, not so much.

Reactions: 7
I love the passing down of stories ❤ I remember being read to a lot as a child and it's some of my best memories.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I love the passing down of stories ❤ I remember being read to a lot as a child and it's some of my best memories.
Same here! There’s a beautiful photo of a very tiny me sitting on an elderly relative’s knee in my parents’ house and although I don’t remember it or even him, I’ve been told that every time he came over he would tell me the story of Jack and the Beanstalk and I would hang off his every word each and every time.

• Heart
I agree, one of my very earliest memories was sitting on grandads lap when i was about 2, and he was reading me a story. I clearly remember a girl in a red dress on a swing nut can't for the life of me remember the book!

• Heart
jk rowling 🖤 agatha christie, jane austen, margaret atwood, sylvia plath, charlotte bronte, ivana brlic-mazuranic (local)
some more recent ones are colleen hoover, gillian flynn, liane moriarty & paula hawkins
---
finished the housemaid's secret today! 4/5

Kristin Hannah, Jojo Moyes, Beth O'Leary, Jodi Picoult. Taylor Jenkins Reid, Cara Hunter, Val McDermid, Paige Toon - to name a few based on my 5* books on goodreads! Also Enid Blyton and Elinor Brent-Dyer who ignited my love for reading when I was a child ❤
---

As someone who has never read an Agatha Christie, which is your fave? I feel like I need to put this right! I have watched many a Poirot and Miss Marple though (and enjoyed them)
The 4.50 from Paddington is the Marple I reccommend people read first and for Poirot - Murder on the Nile! And then there were none isn't with one of her regular characters but it is also excellent. There was a recent TV adaptation of it which I loved too.

Love all these favourite women author lists! I've been staring at my shelves and honestly have so many it's hard to narrow down.

I don’t think anyone has mentioned Louise Candlish yet. She’s one of my favourites. I’m currently listening to her new one, The Only Suspect. I’m really enjoying it, it will hopefully end up being a 5 star for me.

I think I’ve guessed what’s going to happen, but I won’t drop any points for that as it’ll be a great twist if so (even if I do say so myself 😂)

Reactions: 5
Favourite female authors:
Kathy Reichs
Karin Slaughter
There’s more but I can’t think of them right now.

Reactions: 5
A lot of the female authors I like have already been mentioned but thought I would add Clare Mackintosh to the list. I’m a big fan of her books and she can write more than just a thriller.

Reactions: 6
Favourite female authors:
Kathy Reichs
Karin Slaughter
There’s more but I can’t think of them right now.
ah i forgot karin slaughter!

i'm getting back to my harry potter re-read this evening with the goblet of fire. need a break from murderous housemaids and housewives 😅

• Heart
Most of the books I read are by female authors.

Carol Wyer
Rachel Abbott
Carla Kovach
Cara Hunter
Claire McIntosh
Sheri Lowe

Just some of my favourites off the top of my head.

5 STARS! Secrets of Strangers. My thoughts under a spoiler as I know some have started reading or going to read.

omg I just finished and WTF! I’m crying, I wanted Sam to live but he had clearly overcome too much with his Mum, Dad, Robert and Nicola. I wanted him to live to see his Julia grow up 😭 Jesus Robert was an awful, manipulative man, I wanted to shake his mum through the book. Poor Sam went through so so much and Robert was just a nasty asshole.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
My very favourite children's author, apart from Blyton was Noel Streatfeild. I loved those books! I also used to love a series of books about a girl called Jill who had a pony, but cannot for the life of me remember who wrote them. My mum kept all her childhood books and I preferred those to anything else!
Oh my goodness, Noel Streatfeild! Ballet Shoes was one of my absolute favourites as a child, I may just have to order a copy as goodness knows where mine has ended up but now I really want to take a trip down memory lane and re-read it. :love:

Reactions: 1
5 STARS! Secrets of Strangers. My thoughts under a spoiler as I know some have started reading or going to read.

omg I just finished and WTF! I’m crying, I wanted Sam to live but he had clearly overcome too much with his Mum, Dad, Robert and Nicola. I wanted him to live to see his Julia grow up 😭 Jesus Robert was an awful, manipulative man, I wanted to shake his mum through the book. Poor Sam went through so so much and Robert was just a nasty asshole.
I read this a while ago and am haunted by Sam. I wanted him so badly to see her grow up. The ending had me in tears. Such a brilliant book.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.