Books #14 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am loving The Appeal. If you had told me the format with no other info Id never have read it.
I was the same but kept hearing about how good it was so gave it a go, glad I did, really enjoyed it and its very fast paced which i liked.

Reactions: 2
I read this with my bookclub and hated it but I was the only one. I just found it pretty cheesy and felt like I was being hit over the head with a sledgehammer with the message.
However there's so many people who say it helped them through a bad time so I think that can only be a great thing!
This is exactly how I feel about Paulo Coelho. His books were very hyped, especially The Alchemist, but I just found it trite and New Agey.

Sure!

[v] A - ACOWAR
[v] B - THE BIRDCAGE
[v] C - CECILY
[v] D - DEACON KING KONG
[v] E - EARLY MORNING RISER
[v] F - FRENCH BRAID
[v] G - GLORY
[v] H - THE HEATWAVE
[v] I - IT ENDS AT MIDNIGHT
[ ] J - JONATHON STRANGE AND MR NORRELL
[v] K - KISMET
[v] L - LEGENDBORN
[v] M - MERCURY PICTURES PRESENTS
[v] N - NIGHT WAKING
[v] O - ONE OF THE GIRLS
[v] P - PEACH BLOSSOM SPRING
[v] Q - SIX TUDOR QUEENS - Katherine of Aragon
[v] R - REPRIEVE
[v] S - SHATTER ME
[v] T - TRANSCENDENT KINGDOM
[v] U - UPROOTED
[ ] V - OUR VIOLENT ENDS
[v] W - WE WERE NEVER HERE
[v] X - THE EX TALK
[ ] Y - YOU ME EVERYTHING
[ ] Z - ZODIAC ACADEMY

I haven't finished J as I foolishly picked a really bloody long book for it so I'm reading that in chunks between the other books. Favourites have been Peach Blossom Spring, Mercury Pictures Presents, ACOWAR and The Ex Talk. Least favourite was Kismet, I think it was a First Reads.
What did you think of Uprooted? Was that the Naomi Novik one? I read the book last year and enjoyed it, but had a problem with the relationship between main character & the wizard

What did you think of Uprooted? Was that the Naomi Novik one?
I didn't like it all that much. I found the main character really annoying and the magic system was dumb. I did like 'the wood' but agree that your spoilered point was just unnecessary.

Reactions: 1
I didn't like it all that much. I found the main character really annoying and the magic system was dumb. I did like 'the wood' but agree that your spoilered point was just unnecessary.
Yeah, the wood was my favourite character.

I’m planning a lazy afternoon of reading, hope it can get me out of my semi slump. I’m normally quite a quick reader but the last few books I’ve read have taken me over a week to finish. I just have to decide what to read now 🤔

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I’ve been to the library for the first time in a few months. I was quite refrained! I just looked for those already on my wish list. Ask Again, Yes is also my A choice and will now save a reading credit, so that’s a bonus.

7EA225A9-EC7C-43F2-AFEF-41BC76933868.jpeg

I now have 3 weeks to read these two and 3 already on my library app, as well as a couple on my kindle I’ve been telling myself I’ll start next 😅

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I’ve been to the library for the first time in a few months. I was quite refrained! I just looked for those already on my wish list. Ask Again, Yes is also my A choice and will now save a reading credit, so that’s a bonus.

View attachment 1899438

I now have 3 weeks to read these two and 3 already on my library app, as well as a couple on my kindle I’ve been telling myself I’ll start next 😅
I am partway through two on my Kindle and just picked up two from the library so I feel you.

Finally reading Carrie Soto is Back. Into it so far. I do enjoy a bit of TJR.

Reactions: 4
I am partway through two on my Kindle and just picked up two from the library so I feel you.

Finally reading Carrie Soto is Back. Into it so far. I do enjoy a bit of TJR.
I have that on reserve too, pleased to hear you’re enjoying it. I’d never have thought TJR books would have gripped me as they have done so far.

Reactions: 3
So glad I’ve found this thread!!!! 🥰
Like a lot of people I’m trying to get back into reading this year, I do genuinely love it but am also addicted to my phone lol so trying to get back into old habits & reduce my screen time. So far I’ve read 5 books this year (not great but a start!) including Second Place by Rachel Cusk - I enjoyed it but I’m certain I’m not smart enough to fully appreciate it

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Just finished Carrie Soto Is Back. I think I’m going against the grain by saying it wasn’t really my thing. Too much tennis for me, not enough actual story.

Continuing my A-Z challenge, need a D book next…

I have that on reserve too, pleased to hear you’re enjoying it. I’d never have thought TJR books would have gripped me as they have done so far.
Same! In my head she sort of fell into the same bracket as CoHo and Emily Henry as they are all 'booktok stars' but TJR, in my opinion, is in an entirely different league.

I haven't understood the hype with CoHo or Emily Henry but I find TJR's books so immersive and I love how different they are (from rock and roll to tennis) despite being inherently 'her' with vivid, engaging characters and editing storylines. Not to mention characters overlapping across books.

• Heart
Just finished Carrie Soto Is Back. I think I’m going against the grain by saying it wasn’t really my thing. Too much tennis for me, not enough actual story.

Continuing my A-Z challenge, need a D book next…
i felt the same about carrie soto. sport is hard to write and i kinda got the vibe that tjr wasn’t really that into the tennis so i have no idea why she chose to make her central character a tennis player. she didn’t seem to click with the sport at all.

agree with the post above that tjr is a solid cut above coho but my one and only issue with her is that she never seems to trust the reader. this was really evident with evelyn hugo imo, i was always very aware of her presence as a writer telling me what i should be thinking about the characters. it makes her writing no less engaging but i feel like you always know she’s “there” - which is a very unique trait i suppose but it did/does sometimes grate.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
i’m starting to think we pretty much are the same person book-wise 🤣

giovanni’s room is devastating and beautifully written but full of deeply unlikeable characters. it is, essentially, james baldwin trying to work out some of his own internal struggles though which is why there are so many monologues and i guess not a huge amount of emotional payoff. he has a wonderful turn of phrase though!
We must be haha! I think we have similar tastes. I’m about halfway through, will report back once I’ve finished it.
Lessons in Chemistry, just finished. Don’t get the hype at all. It was a slog to finish.
I read it earlier this month, it was fine but not as good I’d expected. I found the characters very annoying.

• Heart
I picked up The Unhoneymooners in a charity shop today so I’m going to make that my U for the A-Z. I’m up to about 10 books that I’m saying are going to be my next read 🤣 need to finish Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow, it’s taking me longer than I expected to get through.

Reactions: 2
I read it earlier this month, it was fine but not as good I’d expected. I found the characters very annoying.
i liked lessons in chemistry a lot but six thirty was by far the best character in it, and he wasn’t even human! the child character (mad?) in particular was too much for me, i’m sure there’s a point where she’s meant to be reading the sound and the fury at seven years old. i know believable child characters are tough to write but she did set my teeth in edge sometimes 🤣

Reactions: 5
i liked lessons in chemistry a lot but six thirty was by far the best character in it, and he wasn’t even human! the child character (mad?) in particular was too much for me, i’m sure there’s a point where she’s meant to be reading the sound and the fury at seven years old. i know believable child characters are tough to write but she did set my teeth in edge sometimes 🤣
Yes, Six Thirty’s adorable ❤ Mad was absolutely insufferable, this ‘precocious, smart aleck child‘ trope is honestly done to death, it got old soon after Salinger’s Glass family stories. Elizabeth was okay but I thought being a ‘strong woman’ was her whole personality, the author overdid it a little bit. I liked the parts that highlight workplace gender inequality though.

• Heart
Six Thirty was by far my favourite character too! 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.