Books #14 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has anyone read the midnight library? I just finished it and loved it! Interested to see what anyone else thought as I’ve heard mixed reviews
I read this with my bookclub and hated it but I was the only one. I just found it pretty cheesy and felt like I was being hit over the head with a sledgehammer with the message.
However there's so many people who say it helped them through a bad time so I think that can only be a great thing!

Reactions: 13
Recently read The Lovely Bones (I got it years ago but never got round to reading it) and was very disappointed after all the hype. About halfway through it just goes weird and loses all focus

Reactions: 5
I'm sure you did on the other thread but would you mind sharing your A-Z again, please.
Sure!

[v] A - ACOWAR
[v] B - THE BIRDCAGE
[v] C - CECILY
[v] D - DEACON KING KONG
[v] E - EARLY MORNING RISER
[v] F - FRENCH BRAID
[v] G - GLORY
[v] H - THE HEATWAVE
[v] I - IT ENDS AT MIDNIGHT
[ ] J - JONATHON STRANGE AND MR NORRELL
[v] K - KISMET
[v] L - LEGENDBORN
[v] M - MERCURY PICTURES PRESENTS
[v] N - NIGHT WAKING
[v] O - ONE OF THE GIRLS
[v] P - PEACH BLOSSOM SPRING
[v] Q - SIX TUDOR QUEENS - Katherine of Aragon
[v] R - REPRIEVE
[v] S - SHATTER ME
[v] T - TRANSCENDENT KINGDOM
[v] U - UPROOTED
[ ] V - OUR VIOLENT ENDS
[v] W - WE WERE NEVER HERE
[v] X - THE EX TALK
[ ] Y - YOU ME EVERYTHING
[ ] Z - ZODIAC ACADEMY

I haven't finished J as I foolishly picked a really bloody long book for it so I'm reading that in chunks between the other books. Favourites have been Peach Blossom Spring, Mercury Pictures Presents, ACOWAR and The Ex Talk. Least favourite was Kismet, I think it was a First Reads.

Reactions: 10
I read this with my bookclub and hated it but I was the only one. I just found it pretty cheesy and felt like I was being hit over the head with a sledgehammer with the message.
However there's so many people who say it helped them through a bad time so I think that can only be a great thing!
I felt exactly the same as you!

I thought it was pretty obvious how it would end and anyone who didnt figure it out needs to go and read any fable/fairytale or anything else with a moral as I thought it was pretty clear the message is be grateful for what you have

Reactions: 12
Sure!

[v] A - ACOWAR
[v] B - THE BIRDCAGE
[v] C - CECILY
[v] D - DEACON KING KONG
[v] E - EARLY MORNING RISER
[v] F - FRENCH BRAID
[v] G - GLORY
[v] H - THE HEATWAVE
[v] I - IT ENDS AT MIDNIGHT
[ ] J - JONATHON STRANGE AND MR NORRELL
[v] K - KISMET
[v] L - LEGENDBORN
[v] M - MERCURY PICTURES PRESENTS
[v] N - NIGHT WAKING
[v] O - ONE OF THE GIRLS
[v] P - PEACH BLOSSOM SPRING
[v] Q - SIX TUDOR QUEENS - Katherine of Aragon
[v] R - REPRIEVE
[v] S - SHATTER ME
[v] T - TRANSCENDENT KINGDOM
[v] U - UPROOTED
[ ] V - OUR VIOLENT ENDS
[v] W - WE WERE NEVER HERE
[v] X - THE EX TALK
[ ] Y - YOU ME EVERYTHING
[ ] Z - ZODIAC ACADEMY

I haven't finished J as I foolishly picked a really bloody long book for it so I'm reading that in chunks between the other books. Favourites have been Peach Blossom Spring, Mercury Pictures Presents, ACOWAR and The Ex Talk. Least favourite was Kismet, I think it was a First Reads.
You have some interesting books there. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: 1
I just finished Local Woman Missing! I fell asleep reading it and woke at 2am, and unable to go back to sleep, I decided to try finish the book. It is now 5am in Australia and I’ve finished it. Was unable to put it down as I just needed to know how it ended. 5* from me as I would never have guessed that ending.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I know I said it a couple of weeks back but I’m definitely reading Local Woman Missing next! It’s on my A-Z.

Then will read The Appeal after that.

I’m reading a physical book atm, Anyone But Him. It’s okay, but taking me longer to get through.

Reactions: 6
I felt exactly the same as you!

I thought it was pretty obvious how it would end and anyone who didnt figure it out needs to go and read any fable/fairytale or anything else with a moral as I thought it was pretty clear the message is be grateful for what you have

I think Sorrow and Bliss dealt with a vaguely similar topic and was way more thought provoking, engaging and nuanced (plus this biting humour the characters had was a big plus for me)

Reactions: 5
@PiesAndLattes wasn't it just brilliant! I was totally absorbed in the book, like yourself, and am almost certain that I read late into the night to find out what happened.

Forgot to add that I'm currently reading We Begin at the End.

Reactions: 2
@PiesAndLattes wasn't it just brilliant! I was totally absorbed in the book, like yourself, and am almost certain that I read late into the night to find out what happened.

Forgot to add that I'm currently reading We Begin at the End.
So brilliant! I loved how the story was told from different perspectives and from different time lines, it really helped keep me interested in the story and just wanting to know what happened next. I thought of so many different endings and possibilities throughout the book.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I only just realised we have a new thread, I thought I lost the previous one 🥲

I’ve read 10 books this year but that’s nowhere near 26! Wow. Currently making my way through Giovanni’s Room but it’s quite slow-paced.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I only just realised we have a new thread, I thought I lost the previous one 🥲

I’ve read 10 books this year but that’s nowhere near 26! Wow. Currently making my way through Giovanni’s Room but it’s quite slow-paced.
i’m starting to think we pretty much are the same person book-wise 🤣

giovanni’s room is devastating and beautifully written but full of deeply unlikeable characters. it is, essentially, james baldwin trying to work out some of his own internal struggles though which is why there are so many monologues and i guess not a huge amount of emotional payoff. he has a wonderful turn of phrase though!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I think Sorrow and Bliss dealt with a vaguely similar topic and was way more thought provoking, engaging and nuanced (plus this biting humour the characters had was a big plus for me)
Ah that’s really interesting I’ve wanted to read sorrow and bliss for a while now so I’ll deffo have to give that one a go!

Reactions: 4
Lessons in Chemistry, just finished. Don’t get the hype at all. It was a slog to finish.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Has anyone read “Alone with you in the ether”? I’ve started and struggling to understand the writing style lol. Is it worth it?

Babel is 99p today. I dont think its my thing so I won't be buying it but just incase anyone else has it on their wishlist

Reactions: 8
Babel is 99p today. I dont think its my thing so I won't be buying it but just incase anyone else has it on their wishlist
I started this after xmas but it was a bit of a chunky book so felt daunted and left it. I have been reading it in chunks between other books but it just hasn’t gripped me enough to want to read it fully. i keep trying to get into dark academia but it doesn’t really seem to be my forte

I started this after xmas but it was a bit of a chunky book so felt daunted and left it. I have been reading it in chunks between other books but it just hasn’t gripped me enough to want to read it fully. i keep trying to get into dark academia but it doesn’t really seem to be my forte
Yes it definitely didnt seem like the type of book I would enjoy but I know its popular!

I am loving The Appeal. If you had told me the format with no other info Id never have read it.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.