Books #12 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't know whether you've ever mentioned him in the previous threads but Bernard Cornwell's books just infuriate me. From the Sharpe series where all the English officers are rich, incompetent fops to the French who don't follow even the most basic military duties or tactics - to some crap I read about an English archer during the 100 years war which had the biggest deux-ex-machina I've ever read.

I have more pointless rants but I guess the bottom line is that I need to read some better quality fiction ;)

Reactions: 1
The Goodreads awards longlists are out, I have loads of the nominees on my kindle but have barely read any, so am quickly reading as many as I can to vote!

Started yesterday with The Book of Cold Cases which I LOVED, moving on now to Remarkably Bright Creatures, which I feel I will also love.

Reactions: 4
I'm having a hard time enjoying anything I read. Tried taking a break from books, tried audio books, tried easier reads or rereading my old favourites, nothing works. I'm hoping Ariadne will be a miracle solution, I love mythology retellings and a friend recommended it. I'm also looking for a festive read, maybe a whodunnit, if anyone has recommendations.

Reactions: 2
I'm having a hard time enjoying anything I read. Tried taking a break from books, tried audio books, tried easier reads or rereading my old favourites, nothing works. I'm hoping Ariadne will be a miracle solution, I love mythology retellings and a friend recommended it. I'm also looking for a festive read, maybe a whodunnit, if anyone has recommendations.
I feel the same!! Hope you like Ariadne :)

Has anyone read Do No Harm by Jack Jordan? I'm half way through and not sure if the current plot holes are going to be tied up or if I'm that invested in the characters ...

Has anyone read Do No Harm by Jack Jordan? I'm half way through and not sure if the current plot holes are going to be tied up or if I'm that invested in the characters ...
I got it based on glowing Twitter reviews. It was ok but a bit silly overall, he’s very overhyped IMO

I’ve finished two books today 🥳

Firstly Am I Guilty that @Smca53 mentioned the other day. Really enjoyed it and like you, I’d guessed part of the ending but not completely.

I’ve also been listening to The Night She Disappeared by Lisa Jewell and parts of it were so tense I felt like I was having heart palpitations 😅 both very good reads!

I’m continuing on my KU quest and have started Girl in Bed Three. Quite a short read so I’m already 25% through. It hasn’t gripped me quite as easily as the last two but I am intrigued.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I’ve finished two books today 🥳

Firstly Am I Guilty that @Smca53 mentioned the other day. Really enjoyed it and like you, I’d guessed part of the ending but not completely.

I’ve also been listening to The Night She Disappeared by Lisa Jewell and parts of it were so tense I felt like I was having heart palpitations 😅 both very good reads!

I’m continuing on my KU quest and have started Girl in Bed Three. Quite a short read so I’m already 25% through. It hasn’t gripped me quite as easily as the last two but I am intrigued.
Yay, pleased you enjoyed it, too!

I’m on a KU quest at the moment too… I’m currently about 75% through City Dark by Roger Canaff and loving it, it’s about a functioning alcoholic lawyer whose estranged mother turns up dead and his DNA is linked to the scene, and then he’s also linked to another murder, but he was blacked out for both and so can’t provide alibis. It also links back to a night in New York 40 years ago where there was a blackout and that’s when his mother left and didn’t come back. I don’t know how it all links together yet but it’s been a good read, I’ve been racing through it, hoping to finish it tonight 🙂

Sorry @nbt not sure you wanted more KU reads recommended to you 😂

• Haha
Yay, pleased you enjoyed it, too!

I’m on a KU quest at the moment too… I’m currently about 75% through City Dark by Roger Canaff and loving it, it’s about a functioning alcoholic lawyer whose estranged mother turns up dead and his DNA is linked to the scene, and then he’s also linked to another murder, but he was blacked out for both and so can’t provide alibis. It also links back to a night in New York 40 years ago where there was a blackout and that’s when his mother left and didn’t come back. I don’t know how it all links together yet but it’s been a good read, I’ve been racing through it, hoping to finish it tonight 🙂

Sorry @nbt not sure you wanted more KU reads recommended to you 😂
Hahaha I was reading this thinking, ooh this sounds really interesting and then saw your tag 😂

Can’t remember if there are normally BF deals but there’s currently the £5 free credit with a £15 spend.

ETA - I’ve just downloaded it but it’s on Audible too so it doesn’t count 😉😅

• Heart
Thanks to my reading slump i can’t finish my current book ‘little wing’- so DNF’ing so I can get back into reading again hopefully

started a flicker in the dark, has anyone read this? Please tell me it’s good 🤣 need to get my groove back

I’ve read this. Loved the first 3/4 of it but the ending ruined it

I've just finished Vladimir by Julia May Jonas. Not really sure what to make of it, to be honest.

You don't find out the narrator's name, which has felt overdone ever since Rebecca, and at times it felt as if I was reading a Booker longlist version of Fifty Shades...

Can definitely see it getting a glossy, big budget adaptation on Netflix or similar soon.

Highly recommend Christmas Wish by Lindsey Kelk for anybody who likes a quirky, empowered, romance. Also really put me in the mood for Xmas 😊

Currently reading Liars Anonymous by Marissa Finch, loving it so far. When everybody is a liar but one is also a killer and you can’t even trust the narrator. It sounds a lot but it’s so well written

Reactions: 6
Highly recommend Christmas Wish by Lindsey Kelk for anybody who likes a quirky, empowered, romance. Also really put me in the mood for Xmas 😊
Just started that 1 & i'm a fan already. Also i'm a sucker for pretty books and the Foiled Snowflakes on the cover :love:

Reactions: 3

Currently reading Liars Anonymous by Marissa Finch, loving it so far. When everybody is a liar but one is also a killer and you can’t even trust the narrator. It sounds a lot but it’s so well written
Putting Christmas Wish on my list! Thank you.x

Look at you all with your lovely wholesome xmas reads and Im reading something called 'the Christmas Toy'

Absolutely NSFW do not google this on work devices 🙈

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.