Books #12 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
East of Eden, John Steinbeck. It’s challenging in places but 100% worth it. I’m currently reading Commonwealth by Ann Patchett which isn’t particularly long but is has a big family saga feel to it - a story of siblings/step siblings from their childhood to where they end up as adults.

Also have to confess the first thing that came to mind when I thought long and sprawling was Jilly Cooper! 😂 Riders, Polo or The Man Who Made Husbands Jealous. Totally ridiculous and OTT but good fun!
East of Eden is an all-time fave ❤

East of Eden, John Steinbeck. It’s challenging in places but 100% worth it. I’m currently reading Commonwealth by Ann Patchett which isn’t particularly long but is has a big family saga feel to it - a story of siblings/step siblings from their childhood to where they end up as adults.

Also have to confess the first thing that came to mind when I thought long and sprawling was Jilly Cooper! 😂 Riders, Polo or The Man Who Made Husbands Jealous. Totally ridiculous and OTT but good fun!
gosh east of eden is a masterpiece - i wish i could read it again!

@queenamber - i would strongly recommend the bronze horseman by paullina simons, middlesex by jeffrey eugenides, or any human heart by william boyd for a few different sprawling sort of books. the bronze horseman is very much a romance, but it will be the best historical romance you’ll ever read. just don’t read the sequels!

also second the vote for great circle, which i loved!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
gosh east of eden is a masterpiece - i wish i could read it again!

@queenamber - i would strongly recommend the bronze horseman by paullina simons, middlesex by jeffrey eugenides, or any human heart by william boyd for a few different sprawling sort of books. the bronze horseman is very much a romance, but it will be the best historical romance you’ll ever read. just don’t read the sequels!

also second the vote for great circle, which i loved!
Oh perfect I have Middlesex and Any Human Heart on my wishlist. Thank you!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I also second Middlesex, I'd forgotten that one but it's exactly what you're after!

Is it so wrong how much I loved Riders 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I've been in a reading slump for months and it makes me so sad 🥺
I have so many good books at home that I'm dying to read but non of them seem interesting to me right now

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
I've been in a reading slump for months and it makes me so sad 🥺
I have so many good books at home that I'm dying to read but non of them seem interesting to me right now
I’m the same 😩 got ill and then it put me off reading and i’m really struggling to get back into it. Keep checking this thread though as it does usually inspire me to pick up a book.

Reactions: 7
I’m the same 😩 got ill and then it put me off reading and i’m really struggling to get back into it. Keep checking this thread though as it does usually inspire me to pick up a book.
Glad it’s not just me. I had an awesome September and devoured books in a matter of hours but October and November have been so slow for me. Even when I’ve eventually found a book I enjoy I just don’t seem to have the drive to pick it up and read. And that’s if I can even settle on one to get beyond 5-10% with in the first place.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Finished Am I Guilty? by Jackie Kabler last night (it’s on Kindle Unlimited), really enjoyed it, raced through it and even though the ending was one I’d considered, there were so many possibilities that it wasn’t like I’d guessed the obvious ending.

It was however about a baby that dies after being left in a car on a really hot day, and the book I read before that was The Herd by Emily Edwards (the Tattle book club book), which is about the anti-vax movement and focuses on the effect on vulnerable kids, so I think I need something next that’s not about children 🤦‍♀️

Reactions: 6
I ordered this yesterday. Bit more than Id usually pay for a kindle book but it has been on my list for over a year and dropped once and I missed it. It seems to have good reviews.
Ooo sounds good I just bought this too. So easily influenced by you all :ROFLMAO: where are the tattle influencer deals and partnerships for free books :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I keep saying this. I could give up my day job..

If I had enough time Id like to start a Bookstagram but I barely have time to do what needs doing. Nevermind additional things.

Also does anyone know if any of the supermarkets have Tomorrow, and Tomorrow and Tomorrow in?

I want it, I dont usually like hardbacks but its beautiful so I want it and its been on my list a while.

I listened on audio over the weekend to The Happiest Man on Earth - Eddie Jaku. It’s truly remarkable. His story is not just incredible but through telling his story he could focus on the positivity of life. It’s written beautifully, calling the reader’friend’ and emphasising how much we should live every day, lift people up and live a good life. I have read many books on the holocaust with each one has been shocking and moving in equal measure. This book however really really touched me. The audio certainly adds to the experience.

• Heart
The Eighth Life by Nina Haratischwili
I've read this and it's really interesting - taught me a lot about Russia and Georgia. I did get lost with the characters a few times, but I did finish it which I doubted that I would at the beginning, so the plot must've held my attention

Reactions: 3
Finished Am I Guilty? by Jackie Kabler last night (it’s on Kindle Unlimited), really enjoyed it, raced through it and even though the ending was one I’d considered, there were so many possibilities that it wasn’t like I’d guessed the obvious ending.
I’m supposed to be working my way through my KU reads at the moment and yet I’ve now downloaded this… it’s definitely a case of two steps forward, one step back at the moment 😐

• Heart
I’m supposed to be working my way through my KU reads at the moment and yet I’ve now downloaded this… it’s definitely a case of two steps forward, one step back at the moment 😐
I feel you 😂 I can’t wait to hear what you think of it!

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.