Book Club #1 This Time Next Year

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I didnt enjoy it at all. Story was weirdly paced and mostly bored me. It was a bit of a slog for me to read tbh but thats not unexpected as it was not my genre at all. I didn't really care for the main character and just never felt invested in it.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
You have been tasked with making the film adaptation of this book, who do you cast?
Omg I love this question! For some reason I pictured them as a lot younger than 30 so this is a tricky one for me. Leila just made me think of Louise Pentland’s friend with green hair though

Reactions: 1
I think being a Casting Director is a dream job, great casting can add so much. It would be great to mix it up too (like when Morgan Freeman was cast as the character Red in Shawshank - who’s white and ginger in the short story)

Reactions: 3
I particularly liked the acknowledgements page at the back. It made me like the author. Read that first as usual so got off to good start.

Deffo better as a screenplay rather than a book.
Got irritated that the overheads for the business were nowhere near covered by selling 40 pies a day and so business would predictably fail. In reality it would have failed in the first two months or so. It would never have lasted 3/4 years. The lack of research in ‘running a company knowledge’ lets the book down. This stopped me enjoying the earlier part of the book. The clamping fee and the rent alone would have bankrupted them...even with part-time staff. No bank would have let the fiscal problems continue so long. They would have had to produce accounts to get the help from the charities they were approaching to help bolster them and so it goes on....Might have been a better storyline if Minnie had churned the pies out from her tiny kitchen and delivered them herself...Maybe her altruistic side could then have been developed in a different way.

Quinn would have had his phone fully charged on NYE... There was a weakish cover-up of that afterwards (use of friends phone to ring Tara) but it didn’t sit right.
The pies didn’t work at all for me. Pies in the boardroom in the City? Unlikely...Paying for thousands of them upfront? More unlikely...

Characters didn’t give me any visuals - in other words I didn’t get a clear picture of them in my head whilst I was reading. They were shadowy.
Wasn’t convinced that the reprehensible Connie would have had such a rapid personality change. However, Connie was the strongest character she created and in few words. So full marks there.
I liked the Primrose Hill and Hampstead references - she came into her own here.
Quite liked the thread she creates with NYE. Thought this was novel.

In summary;
I can see the possible richness this has to offer on screen and I like the author. One to watch. She has the ability to draw dark characters quite well.
A light read. A good diversion. I will keep the book on my bookshelf but doubt I will revisit it.

Reactions: 12
I actually imagined Emilia Clarke as Minnie! Minnie's fashion choices especially throwing random stuff on, reminds me of Emilia in Me Before You when she's wearing some of her quirky outfits

Reactions: 9
I agree I would have cast Emilia Clarke as Minnie- would need a bit of eye candy for Quinn so maybe Zac Effron or Kit Harrington

i do genuinely think this will be adapted into a film - maybe by new years eve this year? if not next year cus of corona

Reactions: 2
Random but I think Jenna Fischer (Pam from the US Office) would make a good Minnie. But maybe thats just because I'm currently rewatching The Office.

Ryan Gosling as Quinn please if we're making requests 😁

40 pies a day
That was probably more far fetched than all the times they crossed paths. 5 employees, a van and east London 2020 rent prices + business rates and even with funding that business isn't going to ever get a loan to get off the ground. They were driving and dropping off a couple of pies at each place 😆

Casting Quin would be easy - handsome and vacant

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Just finished it!

I liked Minnie, but at times did find her a bit too run down, if that makes sense? Leila was a good character, as were the other workmates.

Quinn was ok, Gregg I didn't mind either.

It was a light and easy read. Won't leave a lasting impression on me, but that kind of book isn't really meant to.

That was probably more far fetched than all the times they crossed paths. 5 employees, a van and east London 2020 rent prices + business rates and even with funding that business isn't going to ever get a loan to get off the ground. They were driving and dropping off a couple of pies at each place 😆

And Minnie originally had a rented flat in Angel, I think. OK! Sure!

• Haha
It was a good read, really enjoyed it but I’ve always been a chick lit girl so this was right up my street.

Excited for book 2!

You have been tasked with making the film adaptation of this book, who do you cast?
Actually going to answer my own question 😂

Quinn I think someone like Ryan Reynolds

Minnie perhaps Margot Robbie, not conventionally beautiful but has a certain look about her

Adam Scott as Greg for the simple fact I have an unexplained hate for him

Actually going to answer my own question 😂

Quinn I think someone like Ryan Reynolds

Minnie perhaps Margot Robbie, not conventionally beautiful but has a certain look about her

Adam Scott as Greg for the simple fact I have an unexplained hate for him
Margot Robbie is one of the most conventionally beautiful people in the world! I do think she’d be good though.

Reactions: 4

Yep - didn’t stack up that it took them over 3 years to get orders for 40 pies a day. This above all else let the book down and the Editor should have spotted it...shame really. 40 pies a day is a job for one person at the most working from home and even then the profit would not have facilitated `London flat rentals.

Reactions: 4