Book Club #1 This Time Next Year

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I finished this book today. It is not the genre I would normally pick but I really enjoyed it. It was a nice light read, good escapism. 😊

Reactions: 1
One thing which makes me go "meh" about the book is simply the fact that it was obviously written In advance of last year happening, and so it felt odd to read about all the things they were doing when we know it simply couldn’t have happened. I wondered more than once why the author didn’t write it ENDING at new year 2019/20 instead of starting thee and writing in to the future
I totally agree. This was my biggest bug bear with this book. Every 2020 chapter just reminded me that it was made up because of everything that's going on. It meant I couldn't get lost in the book like I normally would. I appreciate the author did a note to say its an alternate world because of covid but it pissed me off.

I think it was as strange thing to set a book in the near future in the real world anyway. I don't mind sci-fi books set in 2040 or whatever as they are sci-fi and unrealistic anyway. But I just think it always had the risk of being out of touch with reality as covid has shown. But had covid not happened any number of things might have happened in 2020 that would have made a book set in London in 2020 look out of touch

Overall the book reaffirmed why I hate modern romantic fiction, the format is generally the same and always a happy ending.

Reactions: 7