Book Club #1 This Time Next Year

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Reminded me of Bridget Jones too. Good escapism, my only dislike was Quinn being a businessman with a "tragic" past šŸ™„

Why does every successful businessman in a book or film have to have a tragic past? 50 shades of grey is another example, sometimes you can have a businessman male character without needing to create a traumatic backstory before their rise to success
Personally, I think it has to do with the theory that unsuccessful psychopaths are the ones in prison; whereas successful psychopaths are the ones in suits earning a fortune!

Reactions: 6
I really liked it. Minnie was relatable and I really liked her friends. I kept waiting for Quinn to make the connection with the dog. That was kind of weird how the fleabag dog kept being brought up but nothing came of that.
Overall I really enjoyed reading it.

I really enjoyed it. But I also do like easy reads where i can escape reality for a bit.

Minnie annoyed me a little in the beginning but came good in the end.

Like some of the others have said I too would have liked to seen a bit more development of some of the other characters especially Quinn. While you can read between the lines and come to a conclusion it would have been nice to have been addressed.. I would have also liked to have seen the relationship develop further not just getting together.. like realising they were in India at the same time, the posh restaurant at NYE several years earlier etc.

I know another author (Sophie Ranald) did other books on other characters and they intertwined in a few of her books. This answered alot of questions there and nice to see another side and development of a character. It be nice to see something similar of these characters..

I really enjoyed reading this book, it was cheesy and predictable, but I think thatā€™s whatā€™s needed right now, somewhere to escape to for a few hours.

Reactions: 5
I enjoyed it, read it in 2 days! But it was very predictable and had loads of irrelevant details in it! Loved Minnie's dad and Ian. Ians speech and Leila was so cute.
It did make me laugh when u saw it was based in 2020 with no covid then I saw the authors note at the end and I completely agree, although I do look forward to being a old lady ready about a love story based in covid times!

Reactions: 5
Minnie was insufferable in the beginning and Quinn was right to call her out on the ā€œWoe is meā€ working class chip on the shoulder. If I remember roughly those were near enough the exact words he used at one point. When she smashed the vase out of anger and seemed to think that being wealthy means you live an easy life, that really pissed me off.
Although I also found Leilaā€™s boyfriend a dick for getting involved in the pie shop dispute, it wasnā€™t his place to get involved.

Reactions: 2
Minnie was insufferable in the beginning and Quinn was right to call her out on the ā€œWoe is meā€ working class chip on the shoulder. If I remember roughly those were near enough the exact words he used at one point. When she smashed the vase out of anger and seemed to think that being wealthy means you live an easy life, that really pissed me off.
Although I also found Leilaā€™s boyfriend a dick for getting involved in the pie shop dispute, it wasnā€™t his place to get involved.
I thought she knocked over the vase accidentally. :unsure:
Bloody meno brain, think Iā€™ll have to take notes as I go along next time!šŸ˜„

Reactions: 4
I will come back for a more in-depth comment but my very quick summary.

it was good enough, not exactly a page turner that will keep you up all night, Iā€™m glad it was the first of our book club books because it was perfect for a January read,
Like the end of the Christmas chocolates that donā€™t bring much nutritional value but hit the spot šŸ˜‚

I have to say I found the start hard to get into, I think it was the joking ā€œbanterā€ with the puns, the ā€œoh Iā€™m so unlucky...seeā€dialogue, it all felt a bit YA.

I really thought ā€œJesusā€™s is this overly cheddar script gonna continueā€

But it got better!
Iā€™ve read better and Iā€™ve got sure read worse šŸ˜‚ great plot for a book for sure.

It just wasnā€™t as good as the ā€œtrendingā€ hype Iā€™d bought into

itā€™s a solid 2.8/3

The first part was quite slow, the seeds to various themes planted, with not a great deal happening. And then the other half it completely changed
YES!!!!! it limped and than tried to run šŸ˜‚

Reactions: 12
The blurb and the cover reminded me of one of the many 'modern' romance novels I'd pick out when I was staying at my Grandma's during the summer holidays when I was younger and had finished all the books I'd brought with me... and it read like one too, I found quite comforting in that respect. The kind of book I'd feel grown up reading when I was 12.

Minnie/Connie annoyed me with their massive chips on their shoulders, not a good character trait. Also the clock like others have said, why didn't he offer it in the first place when the business folded?!

I didn't know you could swim outdoors in London, so that's kinda cool! I've only been to London a handful of times so I didn't notice anything off about the London lifestyle/descriptions etc. I'm a Northern Monkey, forgive me :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, I just found it a bit meh, it was very predictable and cringey, most notably the vibrator found by airport security which was a massive eye roll. Very far fetched too which I didn't like. It is well written though, very vivid descriptions and I found the story flowed fairly well. Was semi expecting the story to end with 'and they lived happily ever after!' but it didn't of course, the ending reminded me of the final episode of Friends with Rachel 'I got off the plane!' šŸ˜‚

Yel

The London references were definitely my favourite thing about the book, even though you could tell the author had limited experience of the city.

Sitting on top of prim hill

primrosehill.jpg

Or swimming in the highgate ponds are two of my favourite places/things in London
0_life-expectancy-3.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I LOVED the book for the same reasons as everyone else, perfect escapism that I needed and really relatable likeable characters. I totally fancy Quinn

Bits that annoyed me:
- GREG. Ugh. I really thought he might be revealed to be gay. Couldnā€™t wait for him to be binned
- How IRRITATING her mum was, especially about the jinx
- How at the very ending Minnie wore that stupid outfit. Come on, unrealistic. I felt like they tried too hard to make her relatable sometimes
-How chapters werenā€™t labelled by which character they were from, would have preferred a better layout alternating with clear titles as it was slightly confusing sometimes
- Did I mention Greg? I HATED GREG LOL

Reactions: 10
It was a nice, easy read for January. I wonā€™t remember it in a few months time though.

My favourite character was Leila, but I wasnā€™t too fussed about the others.

Another poster mentioned that back in the day they shared a kiss...? That bit went totally over my head! When was that? I got the Star Wars chat reference and the bit in India with the dog.

Reactions: 1
It was a nice, easy read for January. I wonā€™t remember it in a few months time though.

My favourite character was Leila, but I wasnā€™t too fussed about the others.

Another poster mentioned that back in the day they shared a kiss...? That bit went totally over my head! When was that? I got the Star Wars chat reference and the bit in India with the dog.
so there's a part where Minnie has dyed her hair blonde, she's in the bath talking about how she's going to youth club (although apparently it was party but I must have missed that bit). When she's in the car with Quinn she references being sick there as well I think although doesn't mention any kiss at all. Quinn mentions kissing a blonde girl in one of his flashbacks but his phone rings and when he turns around she's gone. In all honesty, I didn't get the link until later on in the book cause it was the only flashback that in my mind didn't make sense. It wasn't well written imo

Reactions: 3
I couldnā€™t get into it at all. Far too choppy for my liking but if you like a cheesy story then it would suit. I wanted her to be alone, strong etc. Sadly not.

Reactions: 4
I enjoyed it as a nice easy read (I read it late last year) it wasnā€™t outstanding or anything but was just ā€œniceā€

I hated Greg with a passion too what an absolute tool-
Minnie also took a while to grow on me.

Reactions: 2
Reminds me of the Christmas themed books I normally stock up on in late December. If it was a film it would be a Netflix/Hallmark cheesy film. Not something I would choose all the time but good for when I am reading it.
Very easy read, very predictable, a bit like a mug of hot chocolate in front of a roaring fire.

I didnt actually mind the jumping around, I think I actually prefer that than a book that just runs chronologically.

The Greg character was atrocious, no sane woman would have remained friends with him once they had kicked him to the kerb

I wonder if the mental health aspects could have been covered more without it taking away from the essence of the story more

Reactions: 8