Book Club #1 This Time Next Year

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thanks to @Oohthedrama for suggesting it and everyone for voting. Our first book is

Amazon product

Please hit watch on this thread if you want to join in. This thread will be unlocked at 8pm Friday 8th January 2021!

But anyone can pop in whenever they want to, but you can't complain about spoilers so you might not want to read the thread until you've finished.

We're not exactly sure how the tattle book club will work - more of a suck it and see. Please discuss it on the other thread. I wanted to set this up while it's still 99p on Kindle. I think you can sign up for a free audiobook trial if you prefer :)

• Heart
Reactions: 103
So?! This was an easy read. Pretty enjoyable. VERY cheesy. I was proud of Minnie when she walked away from Quinn as she was an INDEPENDENT WOMAN and over it. But then of course she ended up going back to him. Girl, come on.

• Sad
Reactions: 19
The short answer is that I personally really enjoyed the book, I am a low key hopeless romantic so love stuff like this to get lost in. It was a lovely light read that couldn’t have come at a more accurate time of the year, especially given the times we are living in.

I guess the long answer is that, whilst I felt the book was light, there were some serious themes throughout, delivered in an attentive way. One thing I will say though, is that I felt like the book was in 2 halves. The first part was quite slow, the seeds to various themes planted, with not a great deal happening. And then the other half it completely changed. For example Minnies character development was great but I felt like it was from 0 to 100 quite quickly. It’s probably because of the way the chapters are structured to skip months, as a reader I felt we saw the start and the end of that development. Not the middle.
Overall, I’d recommend! Liked the main characters, apart from Greg, hes a right twit! God knows what she saw in him. Felt emosh when her dad offered to sell his clocks for her to set up the business again😢 and glad she gave Quinn a second chance, as I think that’s a major theme in the book, second chances.

Can’t wait to hear what everyone else thinks!

Reactions: 21

Yel

I liked it to start with, but nothing unexpected really happened and it played out just as you expected and got more disappointed the more I read. It needed a twist for me.

The name of the pie shop made no sense "no hard fillings".

I thought the writer was some 70 year old woman from a village that had never visited London as a few things seemed off.

Rolled my eyes most at the vibrator in customs cliche.

Best part for me was probably the ex boyfriend explaining he saw her as a compromise as it reminded me of a guy I went on a few dates with that explained what compromise with seeing me was 😆. twit.

I did like the London references. Was nice to be reminded of when it was vibrant and not the zombie land it currently is.

Reactions: 19
I'm not a big one for romance books but I did really enjoy this. It was pretty clear where it was all going like the midnight kiss and the star wars chat room but even still it kept me involved.
It made me want a best friend like Minnie and Leila as never had that!
I like how their mums became friends. It was a bit far fetched overall but a good distraction from this crazy life we are living in.

Reactions: 15
It was an easy read which was just what I needed to get back into the swing of reading after the slump last year.

A pretty predictable story but the characters were likable aside Greg. I enjoyed reading about a 2020 without any pandemic references and a happy romantic story was a balm to the reality of life right now.

I enjoyed reading about Connie warming as a character and changing my opinion of her.

Reactions: 9
I found it uplifting and a warm, easy read. It really reminded me of a screen play in that it seemed to have been written with a TV adaptation in mind in that so much would actually be better on screen (the elaborate wedding proposal, the relationship between the parents and Minnie, the frisson between the lead characters). I thought the same about 'Us' by David Nicholls and that was a good TV adaption before christmas.

Reactions: 13
Finally we can talk about it!
So idk if this is the kind of thing we're doing cause I've never done a bookclub but I'll say what I liked and then what I didn't like and I'm going to give a rating, also I can't remember who wrote it so I'll use "they" :ROFLMAO:)

It's a 6/10.

- I liked that Minnie had a lovely group of wacky friends who seemed to really have her back. I get the idea that it was done on purpose to contrast Quinn's lone wolf persona?
- Leila was a fab character and I loved her. I'd read a book about Leila's life tbh
- I liked the near misses of past New Years Eve's (was unrealistic but it was fun to read)
- I liked her strong independent woman thing she had going on when she dumped Greg and then with Quinn.
- It was quite refreshing to see a character who at 30 was a bit more realistic than what we normally see in mainstream media I think.

Dislikes: (here we go)
- it was bit to choppy for me and it didn't flow nicely. I understand that it had to be for the story but the flashbacks were written fine, it was just the choppiness of 2020 that bugged me but I think that's because of the point I'm going to make next
- It was too deep on some parts but not deep enough on others. They spent ages talking about how her business was failing, then it wasn't, then it was, then they quit the business anyway okay fine... but the emotional abuse from her previous relationship (before Greg) was just glossed over despite that (I'd imagine) having a major impact on the way Minnie is. They glossed over Connie's sudden drop in resentment as well. You had to read between the lines of why connie all of sudden became the mum and husband that her family needed and why she dropped 30 years worth of resentment and misery overnight it seems (I mean it wasn't overnight but it was in the sense that it was just dropped on us out of nowhere. There was no build up to it).
- the Leila engagement thing was kind but I don't really see why the they included the bit where Leila didn't remember saying it to Minnie? I don't know whether it was meant to be funny. I get the engagement in that Minnie wanted to give Leila that = excellent friends and I get the set up for her ending up at Quinn's mum's house in a mermaid outfit but that part just seemed bizarre.

Overall I did enjoy it but it was just too jumpy for me - but it isn't the usual type of book that I read as I normally read thrillers/detective books which tend not to be jumpy cause they can't be so that could be why.

I probably have more opinions but that's it for now :ROFLMAO:

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I really enjoyed it, nice easy read.
I must have been hormonal when I read it because I cried when Leila did the speech about Minnie at the wedding 😂
A couple of things annoyed me. As someone else mentioned above, she went from a meek little woman to bursting with confidence overnight.
I couldn’t put it down so that’s a good sign and I’d definitely recommend it 👍🏻

I really enjoyed it, nice easy read.
I must have been hormonal when I read it because I cried when Leila did the speech about Minnie at the wedding 😂
A couple of things annoyed me. As someone else mentioned above, she went from a meek little woman to bursting with confidence overnight.
I couldn’t put it down so that’s a good sign and I’d definitely recommend it 👍🏻
Yes! When she said about it happening to a Minnie Cooper! I loved how it came full circle with the name thing ❤

Reactions: 4
Enjoyed the beginning, the nightclub scene was very relatable ha!
Thought Minnie seemed a very real and likeable character.
The going away after the messy breakup made me laugh as it was exactly what I did ( and India for me too ! ) so that really took me back.
Quinn just seemed annoying to me. I was waiting for some deep dark secret ( at one point I was even speculating had the babies been switched 😂😂😂) he’d been harbouring all this time and his reasons for acting like he did seemed lame to me. Yes his mum was over bearing but still you would’ve thought he could’ve found her help for her anxiety. Apparently a bit of gardening with Minnie’s mum cured her though. Say what? 🤣
Leila’s surprise proposal was just bizarre and I skim read most of it.
Loved Minnie’s relationships with her friends and all their different characters.
I was cheering Minnie on when she laid her cards on the table and walked away with her head ( and confidence ) held high. It would’ve been really nice if it had ended there and they’d just remained frIends.
The stupid running after him scene was just stolen from Friends when Ross tries to catch Rachel’s plane.
And well the end was cheesy.
I don’t mind chick lit but wish the authors would have a tiny bit of originality.

It didn’t make me feel good at the end. It actually made me sad, because it made me realise how much I miss my friends. 😭

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Finally we can talk about it!
So idk if this is the kind of thing we're doing cause I've never done a bookclub but I'll say what I liked and then what I didn't like and I'm going to give a rating, also I can't remember who wrote it so I'll use "they" :ROFLMAO:)

It's a 6/10.

- I liked that Minnie had a lovely group of wacky friends who seemed to really have her back. I get the idea that it was done on purpose to contrast Quinn's lone wolf persona?
- Leila was a fab character and I loved her. I'd read a book about Leila's life tbh
- I liked the near misses of past New Years Eve's (was unrealistic but it was fun to read)
- I liked her strong independent woman thing she had going on when she dumped Greg and then with Quinn.
- It was quite refreshing to see a character who at 30 was a bit more realistic than what we normally see in mainstream media I think.

Dislikes: (here we go)
- it was bit to choppy for me and it didn't flow nicely. I understand that it had to be for the story but the flashbacks were written fine, it was just the choppiness of 2020 that bugged me but I think that's because of the point I'm going to make next
- It was too deep on some parts but not deep enough on others. They spent ages talking about how her business was failing, then it wasn't, then it was, then they quit the business anyway okay fine... but the emotional abuse from her previous relationship (before Greg) was just glossed over despite that (I'd imagine) having a major impact on the way Minnie is. They glossed over Connie's sudden drop in resentment as well. You had to read between the lines of why connie all of sudden became the mum and husband that her family needed and why she dropped 30 years worth of resentment and misery overnight it seems (I mean it wasn't overnight but it was in the sense that it was just dropped on us out of nowhere. There was no build up to it).
- the Leila engagement thing was kind but I don't really see why the they included the bit where Leila didn't remember saying it to Minnie? I don't know whether it was meant to be funny. I get the engagement in that Minnie wanted to give Leila that = excellent friends and I get the set up for her ending up at Quinn's mum's house in a mermaid outfit but that part just seemed bizarre.

Overall I did enjoy it but it was just too jumpy for me - but it isn't the usual type of book that I read as I normally read thrillers/detective books which tend not to be jumpy cause they can't be so that could be why.

I probably have more opinions but that's it for now :ROFLMAO:
Totally agree with you about the author glossing over stuff. What happened with her dad and the money he lost on property? I expect that failure would have had an impact on the pie business and her not wanting to give up or fail. What happened with Tarek, why did Quins father leave her mother and how did they have so much money to begin with? They had so much money yet Tara gave birth in a public hospital in a shared room.

it was light enough for me to not be too pressed about stuff they glossed over but still noticed it 😂

Reactions: 11
As you’ve all said, it was a nice easy read to get us started.
Like Minnie, I hate New Year’s Eve/Day so I totally empathised with that!
It did have the predictable ending but I wish they’d revealed all their previous new year coincidences rather than just the youth club kiss.
At one point I thought one coincidence was going to be revealed when Minnie was doing her presentation to Lucy and a photo of Leila and the mangy mutt in India mistakenly was shown on the screen. I thought Lucy would remember it was the same dog that Quinn befriended but no, nothing was said so that scene was kind of pointless.

Reactions: 8
Totally agree with you about the author glossing over stuff. What happened with her dad and the money he lost on property? I expect that failure would have had an impact on the pie business and her not wanting to give up or fail. What happened with Tarek, why did Quins father leave her mother and how did they have so much money to begin with? They had so much money yet Tara gave birth in a public hospital in a shared room.

it was light enough for me to not be too pressed about stuff they glossed over but still noticed it 😂
Exactly! It was like the hinted at ideas but never went into detail about them but then went into detail about stuff that didn't really end? Like Quinn went with her to help her with her pies and realised she was doing good for the community so he bought pies for his business or whatever to support her which was great then the business closed anyway which was fine, but they never went near it again? Like what was the whole point of that?

Reactions: 3
I really liked it! But this is 100% my kind of genre, I love an easy read. I loved Minnie’s relationship with Ian, the player one/player two references were sweet. I loved when she came back after her and Leila fell out and he said something about her just completing a bonus level.
It was a nice easy read to start the year off!
Didn’t care too much for Quinn but the relationships between Minnie and the other characters I really enjoyed.

It did have the predictable ending but I wish they’d revealed all their previous new year coincidences rather than just the youth club kiss.
At one point I thought one coincidence was going to be revealed when Minnie was doing her presentation to Lucy and a photo of Leila and the mangy mutt in India mistakenly was shown on the screen. I thought Lucy would remember it was the same dog that Quinn befriended but no, nothing was said so that scene was kind of pointless.
took me longer than I care to admit to figure out that it was them two kissing cause it's not mentioned in Minnie's flashback at all. We only know she was there cause she mentions throwing up there once

Reactions: 3
took me longer than I care to admit to figure out that it was them two kissing cause it's not mentioned in Minnie's flashback at all. We only know she was there cause she mentions throwing up there once
Yes. That and them both petting the same dog in India. Assuming it was just meant to be romantic their paths had crossed before ? Didn’t really see the significance of it myself.

Reactions: 7
I thought there was a bit about her dying her hair blonde before going off to youth club?

Very cliche, very predictable but very enjoyable. A nice easy read to kick of my 2021 reading challenge.
I too had a little tear at Leila’s wedding speech and did laugh out loud a few times during the conversations between Minnie & her colleagues/friends.

Quinn wasn’t in India with Lucy, it was with one of his other girlfriends that were referenced (I can’t remember which one)

Reactions: 10
Ok, so not my usual genre but a nice easy read with some sentimental and heart warming touches.
I agree it was choppy... all the jumps in 2020, were they needed and so sporadically too?!?! May have been better to jump to major days/dates etc.
I can see what the author was getting at with all the flashbacks - this idea of they are ‘star crossed lovers’ and if you’re meant to be with someone fate will find a way (the birth, chatroom, kiss, India etc) their paths kept crossing until fate put them together - heartwarming and a nice idea.
I too think the whole ‘proposal’ but went on for too long - same with the whole ‘business is failing/no it’s not/yes it is’ thing - I get it is meant to showcase the resilience of Minnie’s character, how she’s a loyal person and depict the way she grows and changes throughout the novel... but still plumps for the guy who was stringing her along all year and has a ridiculous amount of emotional baggage!
I think the essence of the novel is more than just ‘Quinn and Minnie’ but about ALL of the relationships (mother, father, son, daughter, friends, co-workers etc) develop over time.

I too was waiting for the ‘twist’... for me, even though they are heartwarming and nice, I just find these types of books so predictable. I was waiting for the ‘swapped at birth - finding a birth certificate at Tara’s house or something - or at least for the ending to be Minnie on the hill by herself not needing a man but that’s just not what this genre is about! ❤

Definitely agree with the point made about it being written like a screen play - can this this as a tv series or film.

At parts I was getting MAJOR Bridget Jones moments - Bridget as a Bunnie ‘tart’ Minnie as a mermaid and the awkward moment with the man they fancy etc.

Above all, did it take my mind off 2020/2021? (despite the book being ‘set’ in 2020!) YES.
Has it boosted me to get on reading again? YES
Was it easy to read? YES
Would I ‘recommend’ it? Maybe to someone who likes chick lit/romance but otherwise NO.
Did I hate Gregg as a character YES!

Roll on the next book Tattlers!! 🙌🏻

• Heart