Book Club #1 This Time Next Year

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So I’ve just finished it, I really didn’t like it, I’ve given it a 2* on good reads, in probably being too harsh but I just didn’t love it that much, didn’t give me all the positive feels, maybe it’s just because it wasn’t my genre! What to read next is the question

Reactions: 11
So I’ve just finished it, I really didn’t like it, I’ve given it a 2* on good reads, in probably being too harsh but I just didn’t love it that much, didn’t give me all the positive feels, maybe it’s just because it wasn’t my genre! What to read next is the question
You thought the same as me. It’s not my genre either.

Reactions: 5
I agree with what others have mentioned about the first half of the book being slow, and second part seeming to whizz in. It definitely took a while to warm up, then it all seemed to happen at once - it could have been more gradually done IMO.

I likes how the whole of Minnie's family evolved during the book. I think that while the mum's transformation seemed sudden, if her friendship with Tara had been ongoing for a while before Minnie knew, then perhaps it was a longer process than it seemed? And the dad selling his clocks for his family was very sweet - a lovely family man.

Quinn was the absolute typical romance novel male lead. Wounded and scared to commit, until the female protagonist makes him see love clearly. All very cliche BUT absolutely the type of book I read, so I can’t complain!

meanwhile the character of Greg was so much made out to be a selfish, horrible guy. I thought it went a bit far with that, he could have been a regular guy she just realised wasn’t for her. And the whole book filled with ridiculous puns was a bit OTT I thought.

One thing which makes me go "meh" about the book is simply the fact that it was obviously written In advance of last year happening, and so it felt odd to read about all the things they were doing when we know it simply couldn’t have happened. I wondered more than once why the author didn’t write it ENDING at new year 2019/20 instead of starting thee and writing in to the future.

Overall, a good little read, probably a 6/10.
I think it probably was a longer process but it wasn't written like that. I think Minnie not knowing and it being a shock to her is fine, but personally I think it should have been hinted at instead of just dropped as now it seems like the writer is just being ignorant. Maybe this is just be being harsh but dropping a sudden transformation with no build up or anything is just lazy writing imo. I don't think a reader should have to read between the lines (no pun intended). I will say though, I normally read thrillers/crime books so their job I suppose is to hint at possible scenarios subtly throughout the book so it could me and what I'm used to. Maybe I'm being harsh though!

Reactions: 4
This took me a long time to read, mainly because I felt like the author had written it purely with the intention of hoping it be made into a film. It was predictably banal with too many unfunny puns. I almost cried when I thought it was nearly done only to realise I was only 75% through.
On the positive, it did help me fall asleep so would recommend if you suffer with sleepless nights. 😁

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Not a fan. Found it cheesy, predictable, fluffy and just a bit meh. Reading by numbers as you knew how it would end.

I normally read crime/policey books so I thought I would try something different- Welp. I need a mutilated body or two, and a hard done by, hard drinking detective.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Not a fan. Found it cheesy, predictable, fluffy and just a bit meh. Reading by numbers as you knew how it would end.

I normally read crime/policey books so I thought I would try something different- Welp. I need a mutilated body or two, and a hard done by, hard drinking detective.
Same - glad I persevered and got to the end but it was predictable, with quite a few poor storylines.

I found Minnie to be very annoying!

However - still pleased to be part of book club and I look forward to the next one ☺☺

Reactions: 14
I like this genre but really struggled with this book. Didn’t like any of the characters really and as someone else said I couldn’t really picture any of them and what they looked like. The cheesiness was next level and there were just so many unrealistic moments,particularly the bus driver pulling a double shift-come on! That whole part of the book was really cringey.

I also COULDN’T STAND the constant reference to the owls in her stomach. Every time it was mentioned I just cringed.

like others have said it did seem to speed up in the second half but I found myself constantly checking how many pages I had left to read which isn’t a good sign.

Reactions: 13

As an antidote to this book I am reading just that 🤣Picked it up at random in Tesco, the blurb had me at ‘A corpse with no hands’ was like yes you’ll do, in the trolley you go 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
I also COULDN’T STAND the constant reference to the owls in her stomach. Every time it was mentioned I just cringed.
This really annoyed me too! It's like she was trying to be extra and didn't want to just say butterflies like any normal person. I have nothing against owls and do like them btw.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
This really annoyed me too! It's like she was trying to be extra and didn't want to just say butterflies like any normal person. I have nothing against owls and do like them btw.
Exactly!!! Honestly if she had used butterflies and did it the same amount of times it wouldn’t have annoyed me anywhere near as much! It was the poor attempt to be ‘different’ that annoyed me! Although then Minnie also had some owl pyjamas and I thought I was missing something altogether but I don’t care because it just irritated me lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Exactly!!! Honestly if she had used butterflies and did it the same amount of times it wouldn’t have annoyed me anywhere near as much! It was the poor attempt to be ‘different’ that annoyed me! Although then Minnie also had some owl pyjamas and I thought I was missing something altogether but I don’t care because it just irritated me lol.
Maybe she had a weird owl obsession? I just didn’t like her character at all. In fact I hardly liked any of them! I liked Minnie’s dad but he was hardly in the story

Reactions: 2

Have you read any of the Charlie Parker books by John Connolly?

No! I will have to make a start, thank you x
I haven't read them all, I do like them but it is a series that I wonder will ever end. I have been to a couple of author meetups and he's an interesting author. He wrote a book I love, not a detective story, called The Book of Lost Things. The Lovers is good from the Charlie Parker series, but it's about halfway through. His first book is Every Dead Thing, often that can be picked up on Amazon for 99p (not at the moment though sadly) https://www.johnconnollybooks.com/the-parker-series

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Glad I’ve read something out of my preferred genre (waves to the other crime/police/gore fans), but I found it a bit of a chore to get into although it was definitely an easy book to read. It had a light tone, but totally agree
with the plot holes re the failing business and the character transformations. Couldn’t bear Mr “Puns R Us” Greg, and wasn’t keen on the wacky best friend either. At the beginning I was sure Minnie was going to spend NYE locked in Quinn’s BDSM room of pain, there was a definite 50 Shades mysterious, brooding but wounded, handsome man cookie cutter vibe about him for large chunks of the book...

I also think you could definitely tell the author has a TV background as it was very “visual” at the expense of character development/ plotting. Mind you if this was on Netflix I would totally watch it — can just picture all the locations being used to their full advantage!

I think i gave it 3* on good reads.
Really looking forward to the next choice!

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I’m so far behind that I’m sure all my comments will have been already said but anyway...

I did enjoy this book, I read it all today so it obviously kept my interest somewhat but I wasn’t sure about main characters. I know that you don’t have to like everyone in a book and people are flawed.

I found Minnie quite self centred- at the fashion show when Leila was trying to watch and she spent the whole time just chatting about Quinn, I know a best friend would listen and be interested but that bit just annoyed me!

And I know that books don’t have to be realistic but the bus driver bit was just to much of a ‘jump the shark’ moment for me.

But on the whole I did like it and the way they’d met each other throughout life (see, I do like some unbelievableness!).

Reactions: 8
I am way behind, hope that is okay, but just started reading this! When I am finished I will post my thoughts.

Reactions: 3
I’m late to finish this (started it and read up to about 80% but then homeschooling and uni started up again and that was reading time out the window 😂) really enjoyed it, a nice, uplifting read and a good distraction. I liked how Minnie and Quinn’s stories were interwoven and they’d kept being in the same place at the same time but just not realised it. I didn’t find Minnie to be an overly likeable character, but I enjoy having a flawed protagonist sometimes, makes me feel better about my own personality flaws 😂

I’m late to finish this (started it and read up to about 80% but then homeschooling and uni started up again and that was reading time out the window 😂) really enjoyed it, a nice, uplifting read and a good distraction. I liked how Minnie and Quinn’s stories were interwoven and they’d kept being in the same place at the same time but just not realised it. I didn’t find Minnie to be an overly likeable character, but I enjoy having a flawed protagonist sometimes, makes me feel better about my own personality flaws 😂
Yes, it's funny how when you read something you think about your own life, conversations you've had and how those worked out. I did find this book, although quite light and fluffy to be very interesting in terms of how I live my own life.

Yes, it's funny how when you read something you think about your own life, conversations you've had and how those worked out. I did find this book, although quite light and fluffy to be very interesting in terms of how I live my own life.
That’s such a good point! It’s quite nice to read about people reacting in a petty or selfish ways in books, like Minnie’s fall out with Leila as I do feel that reflects life more truthfully. I find I get fed up with main characters who are endlessly understanding and compassionate or who always do the right thing 😂