Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

rosemarina

VIP Member
The H2Overload masks are great! My skin is usually a little dehydrated and dry, and I haven’t had to put anything on my face at all since this morning.

• Heart
Reactions: 8

under the ivy

VIP Member
I can’t remember if I posted but my NuFace broke. It lit up but I didn’t feel any sensation whereas I always feel a pinching feeling. CurrentBody have been great. Emailed me a pre-paid return sticker and have sent me a replacement device which is arriving today! I’ve missed using it!

MinnnieMouse

I'm still using the Nuface mini most nights (5 out 7 probably). I definitely think that my face looks a little more lifted and sculpted after using it, but the thing I noticed the most, even from the first use, is how fresh my skin looked, like I'd had a really, really good nights sleep (even when I hadn't!). I wouldn't be without it now and when it dies, I will replace with the Trinity so that I can get the ELE attachment. I'm almost 40 and I've been lucky in that other than some horizontal lines on my forehead that no longer disappear when I stop raising my brow, I am fairly wrinkle free still, so it's more about prevention than cure. If I could only keep one, it would be this.

I then bought the Foreo UFO. I use this the least, barely once a week. I do like it, it is really easy to use and relaxing. I found that when it was really hot during the summer, the serum from the masks did not sink in well, and I can see myself using it more in the winter months when my skin is drier. I've only tried (other than the basic masks) Acai Berry and Youth so perhaps that's where I have been going wrong. I know I'm in the minority as everyone loves it but for me, it's not a must have. My skin does always look good afterwards though so this isn't a negative review of it at all.

I also use the CB LED mask most nights, I do it after the NuFace and with skincare on (initially, I used it it before skin care). I've noticed a scar I have from an old spot, that I shouldn't have picked, is fading and really I do think my skin looks more even toned overall since I have been using it. I just lie in bed with it on, I find it sort of meditative. I'm a big fan and will get the neck and chest one at some point too, I think.

My last purchase was the NuFace Fix. I wrote a bit of a review here when I got it and I still feel the same about it, it's a nice to have but I don't think it's a must have product (I might feel differently if I had more lines around my eyes though).

Last edited:

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
@Aude It doesn't sound odd at all. It's brilliant to hear you say that especially as us women are conditioned to dislike ourselves/ run ourselves down

• Heart

Traazers

VIP Member
This thread is a real education! I am trying to decide between the Philips Lumea and the Smoothskin Bare. I have dark, coarse hair and fair-medium skin. What would you ladies recommend? Hoping to get a Black Friday deal on one of them.

I picked up the Aldi dupe for the Nuface recently and my gel arrived today so will report back on how I find it!
The smoothskin is meant to be better on medium skin than the lumea I believe. I got really good results from it when used regularly but I haven't done so for months! Going to get back into it this week, hoping to be in maintenance phase for next summer!

I moved last weekend and now I live alone and have more time/space/am closer to the office I've managed to do my nuface mini - nuface fix - currentbody LED routine five days running! Hoping the routine is gonna sink in now as I do think my skin is looking a lot better for it, although jumping straight back in with all three at once means I don't know what's doing what!

I also meant to mention that I live on a side street close to the town centre on the ground floor and am visible on the sofa from the street - I've terrified at least one person who walked past and glanced at me with the LED on

• Haha

Lanavalentine

VIP Member
I agree with everything that’s already been said about the NuFace and the UFO2. The NuFace you do have to use regularly, so I find it’s best done while watching something mindless on TV.

That said, I am feeling a bit down about my face and I think I do “need” some fillers. We met up with my husband’s friend for lunch about 2 weeks ago, and on first meeting he did a very slight double-take glance sort of downwards at my haggard jowls 😢. He’s not the sort of person to neg, I just think he was a bit shocked 😳🔫.
I’m sure you’re being harsher on yourself than is necessary! We all are, it’s the problem with a being a woman in a patriarchy that uses photoshop 😂

• Heart

Lanavalentine

VIP Member
Please bare with me I'm not very eloquent but will try my best.

1. So my skin feels soft and smooth but over the last 2 years sunspots have appeared which imo makes my skin look terrible even if it doesn't feel like it. Is there anything I can do or use to try and improve this? I weren't sure if laser treatment would be a good option.
There are a lot of products on the market that can help with pigmentation. Laser is good, but you should start with products first as they’re far cheaper!!

The best ingredients to help fade sun spots include glycolic acid, azeliac acid, vitamin C and retinol. I don’t have any sun spots personally (habitual sun avoider for life) but others may have good product recs for you.

I will say, I find Face Theory Azeliac Acid to be great for rosacea, and I know some people rate it for hyperpigmentation too.

2. I would like to invest in some gadgets but even after reading the threads I'm not sure which ones! I'd like to concentrate on keeping my face plump. Keeping lines at bay, only have laugher lines at the moment. And I've noticed I'm getting slack skin under my jaw line and am dreading getting slack jowls so anything that would help with that. Do I get the UFO or the LED or do I used a combination, what about the sensilift :eek: I'm so overwhelmed by the choices!
If you want to keep your face plump, over time an LED mask is the best bet. The top rated one here is by Current Body, but other posts also recommend Dr Dennis Gross and Light Salon (I have the latter). LED masks help keep skin clear, hydrated, plump and fresh looking by stimulating collagen production.

For a slack jawline, a microcurrent device is your best bet! Posters here really rate the Nu Face. I have a Magnitone Lift Off and like it a lot, although if I’d found this thread before I purchased it, I would have gotten a Nu Face!

The Foreo UFO is more of a “fun to have” gadget. It’s like using sheet masks but better. It can definitely improve your skin but it can’t target your specific concerns here. Still, definitely a really great gadget and will make your skin glow.

3. My skin is combination but tends to be more oily although the dry bits can get very dry. Is there any brand that can be recommended where the products aren't too rich. I'm using Clarins at the moment but not convinced. Also what do I need to add to my routine I see a lot of talk about retinol and collagen or vit C?
Which Clarins products are you using? Their Lotus Oil is good for oily, combo skin but in general I don’t personally rate most of their skin products. Others may disagree!

I’m no expert, but from my own experiences it sounds like you may need to hydrate your skin slightly more to even out the extremes of dryness and oil, and then target your specific concerns with ingredients like retinol or Vitamin C.

I would hydrate more by doing the following: adding a gentle acid exfoliator to my skincare routine (glycolic acid suits most people and targets a lot of different skin issues, but I would probably start with mandelic acid if you haven’t used acid before, as it’s similar but far less strong. Again, Face Theory do a good one that won’t freak your face out!)

Look at glycerin-based serums and moisturisers to add hydration to your skin too. Obviously if your skin is combo you won’t want anything too heavy. Dr Shereene Idris recommends an Avene glycerin serum. Definitely have a watch of her videos to learn a lot more, she is amazing!

So basically, to put it in simpler terms you’ll need:

a cleanser (preferably a gentle one to start with)

An acid exfoliator or toner, like the mandelic acid, glycolic or azeliac acid I mentioned above. This would be the second step in your routine. Different acids do slightly different things, but they all exfoliate your skin and help cleanse it, ensuring your skin gets the best from the products you then apply.

Serums to target concerns, i.e. ageing, hyperpigmentation, dryness, oil control etc. Vitamin C would usually come under this bit - it helps brighten your skin. Niacinamide might also be helpful for your oily skin, as it helps regulate oil production and appearance of pores. There’s a whole world of serums out there so there’s a lot to think about here - start with your biggest concern and just focus on that, I think. You can add more as you go along (you don’t want to add a billion new products at once anyway, as you won’t know what’s working and what isn’t!!)

Retinol/retinoid/retinal are all the same thing in different strengths and formulas. These are vitamin A based products and are scientifically proven to increase skin cell turnover, help minimise wrinkles, clear skin and help maintain a plumper, hydrated complexion. They can be very harsh so always start with the lowest formula and work up. I really recommend the Medik8 Crystal Retinal: start with 1 and work your way up.

Obviously, you also need a moisturiser. What are you currently using? It sounds like you need a relatively lightweight gel texture, and then you could add a face oil to your drier parts. I recommend pure jojoba oil - cheap and the closest thing to our natural sebum, so works extremely well. Only use oils at night as they can interrupt your SPF.

Speaking of SPF, it’s a non-negotiable if you’re using acids and retinol - every single day, even in the depths of winter. This will always be the last step in your routine. SPF50 broad spectrum sunscreen is what you need - there’s a billion on the market, it can take a while to find one you really like. Personally I recommend Ultra Sun for face anti-ageing formula SPF50.

4. Any recommendation for an at home hair removal on the bikini line? I've only seen mention of the hair removal used on legs on this thread
I have no idea - I’m a waxer (lockdown was tough 😂)

If you got this far thanks for reading :) I could use all the help I can get. I've tried going to beauticians before but I just don't feel like I'm getting the right help or advice.
No worries! Hope my reply makes sense, and are somewhat helpful. Huge apologies if it’s overwhelming. Skincare is overwhelming at first I find and everyone’s skin is so different!

I really recommend learning some of the basics first by reading around and watching YouTube, although be aware that many of the skin care influencers have different approaches to things and it can be confusing.

I would check out the following YouTube channels to learn some basics:
Dr Shereene Idriss (dermatologist and THE BEST for general skincare advice)
Labmuffin Beauty Science (pHD in Chemistry)
James Welsh (skin influencer and much more sensible and likeable than the rest of them)
Cassandra Banks (medical aesthetician - REALLY annoying and preachy sometimes but breaks down the science of skincare nicely)

They will probably contradict each other at points, but that’s the issue with skincare - everyone seems to agree on the very basics but has a different approach on everything else!

Stay away from Hyram and Caroline Hirons… I don’t think anyone who’s truly into skincare rates either of them that highly.

Last edited:
  • Heart

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
No issues with the Nuface and fillings here either!

Decided to use a manuka honey UFO mask today and I can't get over how good my skin looks

• Heart

Aude

VIP Member
Ok i feel like finding this thread is DANGEROUS. I’d seen some influencers advertising this ufo2, now i’m gonna need someone to tell me why I need it and what it does please hahaha?
I had a foreo mini 2 i think it is which I do like!
For me, I'd say the UFO2 (with the masks I use) makes my skin look fresher and plumper. A bit glowy perhaps. And the effect seems to last.

I didn't think it was a device I needed - partly because I don't use sheet masks or have facials (which the UFO can sort of replace) but also because I have a good daily skincare routine and thought that my skin texture couldn't be improved.

It wouldn't be top of my list of cosmetic devices - Nuface and an LED mask do more for my particular needs - but I use it when I want to look my best and it does make a differene.

Aude

VIP Member
I think the resident thread guru @SqualorVictoria has both ;) I have the UFO and love it. I'm wondering about the Aldi version too.
There's quite a useful review comparing the Aldi micro-current device with the NuFace on a YouTube channel called 'The Honest Channel'. The verdict was that the Aldi was more uncomfortable to use than the NuFace because the current felt somehow less 'controlled'; it did give a similar result to the NuFace but, being a bit ouchy to use, you might not keep it up the way you'd need to.

Has anyone come across that YT channel? It's the channel of a British woman in her late 40s which seems to be focused on aging well. I found it because I was looking for a review of the Hairstory New Wash product and it turned out to be a thorough and honest-seeming review. At first I thought she seemed a bit daytime telly but by the end I thought maybe, at last, I'd found a British HotandFlashy.

rosemarina

VIP Member
I’ve cracked and ordered some H2Overdose masks for the UFO now. I find I’m using masks quite regularly these days, so I’m sure it’s justified 👀.

Oh, and I took @Aude ‘s advice and started watching something while using the NuFace in the evenings, which does make the time pass more quickly 😀.

Lanavalentine

VIP Member
@noseybirdxo personally am not convinced the LED part really does anything. It’s not strong enough.

Essentially the UFO is like sheet masks but better… it’s great for hydrating and giving you good glow, but I’m not entirely sure it would do anything for sebaceous filaments. It possibly would help smooth your skin out, though?

I’d say if you’re happy with your skin care routine and you want an extra treat on top, then go for it (that’s how I felt and I’m pleased with my purchase). For me, it’s not a “must have” but it is a lovely and useful extra and I enjoy using it.

Reactions: 7

Goodpup

I've just ordered a microneedling pen from Amazon for my acne scars... they never really used to bother me but since my skin tone/texture has improved so much thanks to my UFO and Nuface I guess I needed to find something else to be insecure about 😜

• Haha

MinnnieMouse

I've only used the Sensilift once as it's a weekly treatment but will report back!

However I'm delighted with my skin at the moment- I used the bear with the Nuface gel this morning and I'm going to stick with the Nuface gel and not rinsing on both the Nuface and the bear except maybe on UFO days. The Bear works far better with the Nuface gel than a water based serum IMO. I only discovered it by accident as I had run out of serum. The other thing is that I've been working from home, the office tends to get stuffy so maybe that's another reason why my skin looks better.

I've also just purchased a three week course of Gold Collagen drinks after hearing a few rave reviews (from real people, not influencers!) The recommended course is 9 weeks so going to try that as a boost
Will be really interested to see how you get on with the Collagen, although think I ought to stop reading this thread as my list of things I now want, sorry NEED is growing longer by the day 😂

• Haha

xyzcba

VIP Member
I have just got my UFO 2, thanks to you ladies! No masks ordered just yet, did any of you use them whilst pregnant? I see the device is OK to use, I'm just hesitant which masks are OK. I know I can't use retinol (have been using Vit C instead - not the same!!) or salicylic acid.

• Heart

Lanavalentine

VIP Member
Current Body appear to have a Bank Holiday sale on!

I’m not in the market for anything at the moment but I did notice (totally unrelated to skincare) they also sell Lelo products… highly recommend the Sona 2 Cruise, it may well make you glow in a very different way! 😂

• Haha

Aude

VIP Member
They are both the same thing - just less of it! I have had botox on and off for years and no one ever suspected as I always have movement in my face. Its great for the frown lines between your eyebrows and a slight lift to the eyebrows. I also have it in my crows feet - again so that there is some movement but less of the deep lines. I am 50 and so don't want the frozen face look as it would be too obvious. The person that I go to puts very little in and offers a top up or correction if I want more. She is also very honest with me about the results I expect to receive. I love it and its worth more to me than all the serums etc that I have spend £££ on over the years.
I agree entirely. I think 'baby botox' is just a term used by some practitioners to make clients/potential clients feel better about having Botox - like they're not really having Botox, not really.

I've been having Botox regularly for 20 years and I think it's made a huge difference to how I look now (in my late 60s). Important obviously to choose a good practioner and explain what result you want to achieve.

• Heart