Beyond skincare #2 Beauty devices and procedures

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I did it today and felt something aww and my fillings in my teeth
I've just used mine, I was a bit nervous as I'd read your post. I used lots of gel, and the lowest setting. Didn't feel a thing. Maybe you didn't use enough gel?

I thought i was losing the plot about the fillings but yeah

I had it on the highest setting and heaps of gel but must of missed parts
My boyfriend was like ‘how was it?’ When I’d finished and I said ‘zingy’ 🤣🤣🤣🤣 and he looked at me like wtf

Didn’t feel it in my fillings this evening which was my second time using it

Reactions: 1
A little bit off topic but does anybody rate collagen tablets? Do you think they work or are they only a gimmick?

A little bit off topic but does anybody rate collagen tablets? Do you think they work or are they only a gimmick?
I don't think there's any persausive evidence one way or the other but I quote below what a cosmetic doctor I trust posted the other day.

'I’m asked about supplements all the time in clinic - are collagen supplements worth it? Should I be taking supplements? Are they a gimmick?

My answer is always that whilst supplements are never a substitute for a healthy and balanced diet and taking hydrolysed collagen is a bit of a waste of time, certain supplements do have their place in supporting healthy skin. At the very least they give an extra hit of vitamins and skin-friendly nutrients which can bring a number of different benefits. When looking for a new supplement, I recommends looking for those containing vitamin C, vitamin A derivatives, vitamin E and D and Omega 3 as these all have scientifically-backed and proven positive effects on the skin. MSM (methylsulfonylmethionine) a molecule involved in collagen production and regulation of key genes involved in ageing - is also an interesting supplement to consider!
Collagen supplementation, by contrast, is quite a contentious issue as there is little evidence to suggest that taking collagen is necessary over having a good protein intake (collagen is a long chain protein that is broken down in the gut to amino acids (i.e. the constituent parts of proteins), which in turn are reassembled into collagen proteins in the skin by your fibroblast cells). Much more important is taking the co-factors such as vitamin C in your diet/supplements that stimulate the fibroblast cells to increase production of collagen and other important molecules in the skin, using the amino acids available to them. Plus most collagen supplements come from unsustainable animal sources!'

Reactions: 4
I had a clarisonic for years and loved it! Now they are out of business I can’t get any replacement heads…. I seen people on here recommending the Luna foreo…. I probably sound so stupid but which one is the best to go for? I had a nosey on their website and there’s too many options for me 😂 I would just want something for deep cleansing. I am good with my skincare/face masks a few times a week so I really would just want something for that POW POW facial cleanse 😂 any advice would be appreciated ☺

Reactions: 2
I had a clarisonic for years and loved it! Now they are out of business I can’t get any replacement heads…. I seen people on here recommending the Luna foreo…. I probably sound so stupid but which one is the best to go for? I had a nosey on their website and there’s too many options for me 😂 I would just want something for deep cleansing. I am good with my skincare/face masks a few times a week so I really would just want something for that POW POW facial cleanse 😂 any advice would be appreciated ☺
I had a Clarisonic Mia 2 and switched to a Foreo Luna 3. I got the sensitive skin one. I use it at least once a day for cleansing with a foaming or milky cleanser. It's not really effective with balms, the little bristles get clogged up. I feel it gives a really deep clean but it doesn't have the light exfoliation I got with the Clarisonic. I also use the Luna once or twice a week on the massage setting with serums or oils.

I'm not sure if Foreo are still doing it but there were offering discounts to people who were replacing Clarisonics.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
My simplehuman make up mirror has finally died I charge it but it doesn’t keep its charge I really need something similar as my eye sight is shot but it was a present for my 40th I can’t justify paying for a replacement can anyone recommend a cheaper dupe?

Maybe I'm derailing a bit (and sorry if I am!) cos technically this is skincare but it's more hardcore...

Has anyone used prescription Retinol?

Becoming increasingly aware of aging and was thinking of asking my doctor for some

My simplehuman make up mirror has finally died I charge it but it doesn’t keep its charge I really need something similar as my eye sight is shot but it was a present for my 40th I can’t justify paying for a replacement can anyone recommend a cheaper dupe?
What about the No7 one? Usually on offer

Maybe I'm derailing a bit (and sorry if I am!) cos technically this is skincare but it's more hardcore...

Becoming increasingly aware of aging and was thinking of asking my doctor for some
Not derailing! I know @Aude has experience with prescription tret

I use prescription retinoin (called tretinoin) and would recommend it. My understanding is that tretinoin and some other, over-the-counter, forms of retinol are the only subststances proven to improve the appearance of older skin.

My understanding is also though that tretinoin can only be prescribed within the NHS for the treatment or acne, not to improve the appearance of older skin. While some GPs are prepared to prescribe some medicines off-label (I think that's what it's called) I think most aren't.

The ways I know off to get hold of tretinoin are:
  1. Have it prescribed by a dematologist or doctor who you consult outside of the NHS
  2. Have it prescribed through one of the online dermatology services (there are two main ones, called Dermatica and Skin+Me)
  3. Buy it online through a pharmacy site based overseas (there's one called United Pharmacies)
  4. Buy it abroad where it's not prescription-only (or get someone to send it, or bring it back ,from abroad).
I think the second option is good. They make up a prescription to suit you skin condition and send it to you monthly. Costs around £20/month.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
She’s based in the US, but Dr Shereene Idriss on YouTube has a couple of good videos on retinols and retinoids. The ones that are best for acne aren’t so good for anti-ageing, and vice versa. Worth a look?

Reactions: 3
I had a Clarisonic Mia 2 and switched to a Foreo Luna 3. I got the sensitive skin one. I use it at least once a day for cleansing with a foaming or milky cleanser. It's not really effective with balms, the little bristles get clogged up. I feel it gives a really deep clean but it doesn't have the light exfoliation I got with the Clarisonic. I also use the Luna once or twice a week on the massage setting with serums or oils.

I'm not sure if Foreo are still doing it but there were offering discounts to people who were replacing Clarisonics.
Thank you so much for your reply! I had the clarisonic Mia 2 aswell ☺ Going to look up the Luna 3 now 😘

I’m using the Dermatica service that @Aude mentioned in her post. My prescription is tretinoin, I’ve been on it for 8 months now and definitely seeing results - decreased depth and reduction of fine lines around my eyes, and improved skin texture. I would recommend.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Guys, I have the clarisonic smart profile and I'm trying to find brush replacements for face and body. Where can I find them? Nothing really cleans like clarisonic for me...
The body brush is amazing!

Although I have to say using a foaming cleanser with foreo would be ok but I find that milky cleansers don't really do the job and work together with these devices.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.