Beyond skincare #2 Beauty devices and procedures

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ok, I'm a massive weed when it comes to animals being hurt. I am quite easily traumatised by seemingly small things, so I'm afraid to Google this in case I see anything I can't unsee (like if a PETA site pops up or something). So, if anybody is a bit more mentally robust than I am :D and knows the answer, could you please weigh in. (If you're similar to me, skip this.)

In the past I've had Botox in my forehead a number of times, and would like to have it again. However, I read somewhere that in the UK because it's classed as a medical treatment, every single batch has to be tested on mice. The mice are then paralysed and die in agony, which sounds beyond awful.

I can't do anything that would contribute to this, so I wanted to know if anybody knows if this is actually true? If it is, please could you avoid adding too many more upsetting details- as I said, I'm a total weed.

Thanks very much.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Favourite foreo masks everyone? I’ve had youth junkie, glow addict, call it a night and the h20
Coconut, Bulgarian Rose, Acai Berry and H2Overdose are my favourites! I have a huge stash of masks at the moment but would like to try the Cannabis Seed Oil and Manuka Honey when I've used more up.

Ok, I'm a massive weed when it comes to animals being hurt. I am quite easily traumatised by seemingly small things, so I'm afraid to Google this in case I see anything I can't unsee (like if a PETA site pops up or something). So, if anybody is a bit more mentally robust than I am :D and knows the answer, could you please weigh in. (If you're similar to me, skip this.)

In the past I've had Botox in my forehead a number of times, and would like to have it again. However, I read somewhere that in the UK because it's classed as a medical treatment, every single batch has to be tested on mice. The mice are then paralysed and die in agony, which sounds beyond awful.

I can't do anything that would contribute to this, so I wanted to know if anybody knows if this is actually true? If it is, please could you avoid adding too many more upsetting details- as I said, I'm a total weed.

Thanks very much.
Oh my god, I never knew this! I just googled it and apparently yes every batch is tested on animals. Now I didn't click in to the articles as like you don't want to see anything cruel so I don't know the exact specifics but the links all said about 400,000 mice die each year for testing. Some of the manufacturers are trying to eliminate animal testing by 95% over the next three years (article is dated 2018 so that would be this year.)

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 6
@Libertine1975 and @SqualorVictoria what are the main differences in the sensilift and a nuface or bear? Does the radio frequency RF work differently from the microcurrents and thus give a different result?

Hadn’t heard of the sensilift before!
It seems that Nuface works on re-educating the muscle whereas RF ie better for collagen production and firming. The Organic Esthetician explains it well here- I'm allergic to YouTube videos but I did enjoy this video as it's informative and detailed and not as rambly as some!

• Heart
What benefits do the rose and cannabis have?
These are both newer ones to me. The rose is very hydrating and plumping for dry skin - mine is parched lately as I’m using Dermatica. The cannabis is calming and soothing, also really lovely as my skin is feeling quite sensitised right now, again due to the tretinoin. Both use the cryo setting so it’s nice to feel the coolness as the mask sinks in.

Reactions: 2
Hello! I’ve lurked these threads and decided to join in.

You all are making me want to buy a UFO but I’m just not sure it would make much difference to me to justify the cost? I don’t want to sound like a braggy witch but my skin is really quite good (the only thing about me that is, trust me😂). I get the odd hormonal bump around my chin a couple of times a year, and I have a very slight bit of redness on my cheeks, but other than that, it’s happy and clear and I keep it well hydrated. I do my own at-home facials and they work for me.

Is it worth investing??

I also wanted to say that I have the Magnitone Lift Off (someone asked in the last thread) and I personally love it. I’ve never tried the NuFace so I can’t compare, but my results with the Lift Off were brilliant. I forgot to do it for a few weeks while moving house and now I’m back on it and I’m astonished all over again. Definitely defines my jaw, plumps my skin and softens my forehead lines (I haven’t had botox in sooo long).

Another cheaper manual tool I love is the Nurse Jamie Uplift. I got one in the Cult Beauty sale years ago, and it’s my go-to for a proper decent facial massage. It’s more aggressive than a jade roller as it has the tourmaline knobs, but it doesn’t hurt. Love it for stimulating the blood flow in my face and getting me a nice glow!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Hello and welcome!

I would look at it from the point of view of if your skin is already good it's a great way to maintain it. For me it's been life changing. It's just so lovely to use, I love how there's a wealth of masks to choose from and you can choose based on your needs, the lights and the warming or cooling sensation feel amazing. And it doesn't need to be used every day, twice a week is usually enough

Reactions: 7
It seems that Nuface works on re-educating the muscle whereas RF ie better for collagen production and firming. The Organic Esthetician explains it well here- I'm allergic to YouTube videos but I did enjoy this video as it's informative and detailed and not as rambly as some!

Oh great! Thank you. I don’t mind an informative video so shall definitely watch.

Hello! I’ve lurked these threads and decided to join in.

You all are making me want to buy a UFO but I’m just not sure it would make much difference to me to justify the cost? I don’t want to sound like a braggy witch but my skin is really quite good (the only thing about me that is, trust me😂). I get the odd hormonal bump around my chin a couple of times a year, and I have a very slight bit of redness on my cheeks, but other than that, it’s happy and clear and I keep it well hydrated. I do my own at-home facials and they work for me.

Is it worth investing??

I also wanted to say that I have the Magnitone Lift Off (someone asked in the last thread) and I personally love it. I’ve never tried the NuFace so I can’t compare, but my results with the Lift Off were brilliant. I forgot to do it for a few weeks while moving house and now I’m back on it and I’m astonished all over again. Definitely defines my jaw, plumps my skin and softens my forehead lines (I haven’t had botox in sooo long).

Another cheaper manual tool I love is the Nurse Jamie Uplift. I got one in the Cult Beauty sale years ago, and it’s my go-to for a proper decent facial massage. It’s more aggressive than a jade roller as it has the tourmaline knobs, but it doesn’t hurt. Love it for stimulating the blood flow in my face and getting me a nice glow!
I usually have really good skin, never really had a spot but I still regularly used face masks, so for me it’s just getting goodness into my skin and since having it I’ve used it when I know I’m actually going somewhere (rare atm) and it just makes my skin glow. I know I’ll be glad of it once the suns out properly too.

Hi, I’m just wondering if someone can help me with finding an ipl for a natural redhead. Are there any? Current body have recommended the smoothskin pure but on their site it says not for redheads? This was an advisor on the chat that said it would be fine. I don’t want to buy and regret.

Reactions: 1
Hello, unfortunately IPL won't work on redheads as it can't pick up the pigment of the hair. Current Body are extremely irresponsible to go against the advice given by the manufacturer

Reactions: 4
Hello, unfortunately IPL won't work on redheads as it can't pick up the pigment of the hair. Current Body are extremely irresponsible to go against the advice given by the manufacturer
Thank you that’s what I thought. They also recommended the silk’n infinity which does say for all hair colours but I’m very sceptical and there’s no money back guarantee. My daughter has pcos and I wanted to help her.

You've all made me really tempted by the IPL now. I'm ghostly pale with medium brown hair but mainly pretty fair/fine on my body. I did start having laser on my armpits and then stopped going halfway through the course. Debating getting a Philips now or just starting another course...

Thank you that’s what I thought. They also recommended the silk’n infinity which does say for all hair colours but I’m very sceptical and there’s no money back guarantee. My daughter has pcos and I wanted to help her.

Hmmm well the website for that brand does state that it works on 'orange' hair. I'd say look up loads and loads of reviews first!

You've all made me really tempted by the IPL now. I'm ghostly pale with medium brown hair but mainly pretty fair/fine on my body. I did start having laser on my armpits and then stopped going halfway through the course. Debating getting a Philips now or just starting another course...
The Prestige is on offer on Boots, well it is in Ireland so I'd imagine it's the same in the UK! At least then you can do your legs as well if you wanted to

Hi All,

I'm new to this thread, I'm a skincare junkie so loving reading your comments.

I've got the Philips Lumea and it is literally lifechanging. I have dark hair, not especially thick but for example I would have to shave my legs every few days in the summer. The Lumea is a bit of a faff to do I found, and you have to commit to it (I think it's every 2 weeks for the first 8weeks, then once a month for 6 months I think, then just maintenance as you feel), but for me it's 100% worth it. For example going on a 2 week holiday and not having to worry about regrowth! The hair that comes back now (because I've not used it in a year probably) is light and fine somehow, so not really even noticeable.

Reactions: 8
Hi All,

I'm new to this thread, I'm a skincare junkie so loving reading your comments.

I've got the Philips Lumea and it is literally lifechanging. I have dark hair, not especially thick but for example I would have to shave my legs every few days in the summer. The Lumea is a bit of a faff to do I found, and you have to commit to it (I think it's every 2 weeks for the first 8weeks, then once a month for 6 months I think, then just maintenance as you feel), but for me it's 100% worth it. For example going on a 2 week holiday and not having to worry about regrowth! The hair that comes back now (because I've not used it in a year probably) is light and fine somehow, so not really even noticeable.
This sounds extremely tempting 😁 Do you have the Prestige or a different model?

Last edited:
I am sorely tempted by an IPL too, especially after some of these comments. I weaned myself off shaving my legs 2-3 years ago and now only get them waxed, but you can imagine how that's been over the last year with several lockdowns - when I had my first appointment after lockdown 1, she took before and after pics of my legs that made it onto her instagram because it was such a feat :oops:

Every 2 weeks for the first 8 weeks then once a month for 6 months? YES PLEASE.

I'd like not to spend a fortune but would need a device that will do my legs, even better if I can use it for other areas but that's not a priority. Does anyone have any recommendations for budget options or is it best to go with a Lumea?

Yep I had the Lumea but I found it really heavy and slow, did get results from it but I just couldn’t be bothered with the effort so it sat in its box. Love the Smoothskin Pure it’s a lot quicker and I’ve had fantastic results from it!

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.