Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

LittleMy

VIP Member
I loved his dad shouting at Martha on the phone 😂

Great show, deeply uncomfortable in parts and not what I was expecting when I started it, but still funny too. Plenty of Martha jump-scares as well 😂 😥

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 47

CrystalWench

Chatty Member
I watched, very weird for me as I could write the same about my own mother. She’s also just over 60, horrifically racist, homophobic etc and rants online very similarly. My mother also was charged with harassment and stalking of myself and given a restraining order and suspended sentence. She’s done it to many men too, I watched her whilst growing up. She’d damage their cars, be violent towards the woman they would have affairs with to try to escape her, visit their parents, call their works or turn up there etc. She’s with a guy now and we all say it’s more of a hostage situation, he won’t leave because he knows what she’s like and what she’ll do until she finds someone else. Anyone who crosses her gets the same treatment. It was strange watching it from my angle for this, the one thing Richard did portray well is how difficult it is to get someone charged with harassment and stalking, how you have to keep every bit of contact you receive and you’re waiting for them to do something horrendous to get arrested. There are too many loopholes for these absolute nutters to get around, the process is so long, embarrassing too because things can seem so petty as he pointed out in a few scenes.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 46

ShopTilYouSlop

Chatty Member
Not the important thing, I know, but I thought it was nasty in that FB post to describe Jessica Gunning as "ugly"; she's been made dowdy for the role and she can do that frowny downturned mouth thing because she's an excellent actress but she isn't ugly at all.

It's surely better to say something like "inspired by a true story" if you don't want people to take it all as fact and accept it's been at least partly fictionalised. Most first novels or equivalent are somewhat autobiographical.

• Heart
Reactions: 43

dovelist

I actually feel quite sad that people have found her
Preparing myself for the hate I’m about to receive…

I did feel bad too then I had a look at her very open fb like the nosey shit I am. The racism / transphobia / antisemitism she spews on a daily basis is shocking.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 43

Dexy

VIP Member
The comment about they don’t give up gave me chills.
In college in the 90’s I had a guy who became obsessed with me. He would follow me continuously round campus. He’d pop up everywhere I went. He’d start waiting at the bus stop for me to arrive or try and beat me to it on the way home. Constantly send me notes and bombard me with compliments. The whole class thought it was hilarious - he was this thin, weedy looking boy - but it wore me down and I felt constantly harassed. I’d scream in his face
“ F off ! “ , I’d burst into tears “ leave me alone” but he’s just shrug, like the message just didn’t go in. He didn’t seem bothered he had me terrified.
One day I was at home and there was a knock at the door. It was my family home and he’d travelled two hours from his, getting several trains and then walked three miles to my house. I have no idea how he found out my address out or found it physically , this was way before Sat nav obviously. It absolutely terrified me. I told him to leave right now or I’d shout my parents. On the last day of college he cornered me and begged me for “ one last kiss. “ I ran out of there and didn’t look back.

20 years later I’d found my college had a Facebook group where previous students could reunite.
Because I put in the year I left it flagged up old messages from anyone who attended that year and there was a post from this guy saying he was looking for me and asking if anyone had contact with me. 20 years later.
I changed my name and moved towns due to marriage. I hope he never, ever finds me.

• Wow
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 42

Notredamn

VIP Member
I can’t really relate to some of what I’ve read online about this being the darkest thing they’ve ever seen, can’t think of anything else a week later etc. Yeah the subject matter isn’t lighthearted in the least but come on.
Not a day of the week goes by where a woman isn’t depicted in some show or other being abused, drugged, raped, murdered, mutilated, you name it. If you can think of the worst degradation, it’s usually been a storyline. Depicted nude on a mortuary slab in a lot of cases. Gratuitous. Even though we know it happens in RL week in and week out.
The novelty of this show is the actor played a version of himself is different so I get that aspect.
He’s a self promoter on an epic scale I have to hand it to him.

• Heart

xxAprilxx

I don't have any sympathy for 'Martha' but sending her death-threats or any kind of message for that matter is unhinged. Do these people not realise the irony of their behaviour.

I am now wondering how much of his story was made up/embellished!?

veevee04

VIP Member
It is unfortunate that it’s become a big ‘find the real Martha’ where people have overstepped into online stalking, rather than a big stalking awareness thing.

Could have even helped some sort of charity towards it or yeah get the police to look in to taking stalking a lot more seriously.

I do find it odd how the show and peoples hate have been more directed at her character rather than the SA by the man
Yep Martha is a very unpleasant individual but she's very mentally unwell. RG admitted keeping it going because he liked the attention.
His rapist hasn't been given half the flack because he's a man in a position of power. Martha is an obese middle aged mentally ill woman probably on benefits.

justonemorepage

VIP Member
I'm starting to wonder if this is his revenge almost. I haven't watched it all yet (on episode 5) but from what I have seen so far the police weren't all that interested and he never reported the SA? So what if this is his way of getting back at them. He's basically exposed them to the world for what they are. I do find it uncomfortable viewing for so many reasons. Maybe that's also the point.

• Heart
Reactions: 41

Weston14

There’s already a thread going round on Twitter about how Richard Gadd behaved inappropriately with someone who auditioned to play his gf on the show
What a whole load of nothing this tweet thread is . They basically tried dating and it didn't work out, and she's decided that's enough ammunition to publicly pathologise this man. Everyone desperate for their viral takedown nowadays. I think therapy speak has ruined a lot of young people,,

• Heart
Reactions: 41

freshhead

Watching baby reindeer once again… feeling way too invested than I’d like to admit…
As a survivor of serious SA myself, the first time round I felt completely triggered and I can only imagine the amount of survivors watching who felt the same. I understand all the different opinions on Gadd, but I can only applause Gadd for this work, I actually feel it’s a masterpiece how he’s managed to portray how everything isn’t always black and white. I’ve often had moments of feeling sorry for my abuser and think about where his need for power and control begins after coming from such a messed up background. There are so many emotions I’ve experienced over the years and Gadd explores many of them himself. It’s real, raw and relatable, and although like many, I can now see a shit show on the horizon with real Martha…. I also can’t help but think he’s opened the gates to many more real and raw productions like this. We live in a world where many people are waiting to tell their story. People want to be heard.

• Heart
Reactions: 40

Brian Butterfield

VIP Member
Does no one else feel like he’s done this on purpose? It’s so obvious that FH is Martha… unsure about SF. He clearly wanted social media to do his dirty work by outting Sean Foley and Fiona while he could sit back and act innocent.
100%. He knew exactly what he was doing. All this faux "oh please don't speculate on who any of the real-life people could be" nonsense is entirely disingenuous, as I said. He wants fame and plaudits and this is just another way to gain more attention for the show and himself. You only need to look at how his IG followers have grown since he posted that story to see it's working and got more people talking.

Richard is a very smart man and is playing the game.

• Heart
Reactions: 40