Australian Influencers #20

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has anyone subscribed to any influencer Instagram subscriptions?

Someone in the Sophie Guidolin thread subscribed and it seems like boring content.

I subscribed to Roxy Jacenko and so far all it’s been is her hair extension “reveal” and unboxing of designer goods I can’t afford 🤣

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 9

Someone in the Sophie Guidolin thread subscribed and it seems like boring content.

I subscribed to Roxy Jacenko and so far all it’s been is her hair extension “reveal” and unboxing of designer goods I can’t afford 🤣
Is it free to subscribe? Or a fee?

Interesting. that seems rather ridiculous. I remember way back when Tammy was charging people a one off payment (something like $50) to follow her fitness Insta which did seem crazy with so much free content but it got the ball rolling for her making big coin from Insta and essentially launched her fitness brand. I guess if there is very unique content like recipes or workouts or… something else I can’t think what. Then maybe paying that small fee is worth it to some.

But generally I would need it to be something very good that isn’t available elsewhere in any form and is something people might pay for on other contexts, ie, not just snippets of someone’s life or them talking to the camera.

Reactions: 2
I mean I would be upset if I read some of this stuff written about me. But then I would never consider work in the public eye, I’m conscious that no one is ever liked by everyone. I know I wouldn’t like to read or hear negative things about myself. I feel like some of these influencers truly believe everyone loves them, and can’t comprehend people disagreeing with them on any level.
This is such a good point. I think most of us are conscious of ourselves and how mentally unhealthy it would be to have so much positive regard feeding our ego- and the flip side - how upsetting it would be to read negative comments about ourselves. However! The difference is influencers seem to think they should get all of the good, none of the bad - or constructive - feedback about the fact a lot of them make easy money basically being TV shopping network ladies. The lack of insight and self awareness from these people who all seem to have an ego that demands to be fed constant attention but they employ no strategies to preserve stable mental health and manage anxiety. They perpetuate all the unhealthy and damaging behaviours that contribute to low self esteem, and keeps it going for their audience- constant comparison, judgment, competition, rampant consumerism… there’s not a sense of community because it’s a parasocial relationship. They ultimately want to make money off their audience so fair game. Make it into a brand and separate it from the personal and family life. Some influencers do it well. They create good content and employ photographers and create a concept. It’s advertising done well, not whatever the Kearns or EL or Cachia do.

Reactions: 13
It’s a really simple thing re: influencers and criticism. The minute you monetise your content and whatever you post is part of your brand, you become a business. That’s entirely their choice, and that choice comes with the new ability to be criticised and have people share their opinions. Just like how Google reviews and Yelp and word of mouth allows people to share companies who are untruthful, whose products suck, who provide poor service etc etc. An influencer is a business. They operate in the public sphere. Criticism comes with that. Some people go overboard with criticism, but you need only read some google reviews of restaurants etc to see that there’s people who go a bit hard in any situation they don’t agree with. Influencers can’t bang on about how hard they work and how it’s a real job, but then expect to be beyond reproach. Nobody asked them to make their lives a business, that’s their choice and entirely on them.

• Heart
Reactions: 37

Courtney Mangan has just put up on her stories how excited she is for this to be introduced. I’m a fan of Courtney, but honestly who is going to pay for a subscription 🧐? And what content is she thinking about - are people going to pay to see her Netflix recommendations or taste tests?

Reactions: 14
It’s a really simple thing re: influencers and criticism. The minute you monetise your content and whatever you post is part of your brand, you become a business. That’s entirely their choice, and that choice comes with the new ability to be criticised and have people share their opinions. Just like how Google reviews and Yelp and word of mouth allows people to share companies who are untruthful, whose products suck, who provide poor service etc etc. An influencer is a business. They operate in the public sphere. Criticism comes with that. Some people go overboard with criticism, but you need only read some google reviews of restaurants etc to see that there’s people who go a bit hard in any situation they don’t agree with. Influencers can’t bang on about how hard they work and how it’s a real job, but then expect to be beyond reproach. Nobody asked them to make their lives a business, that’s their choice and entirely on them.
Best thing I've read all day/week/year! - had to comment that :)

No you pay. Sophie is charging $7.49 a month!
I mean that's cheap compared to someone else we know and love :sick: at $9 a month for literally nothing extra !

Reactions: 3
You wouldn’t catch me dead subscribing to any influencers.
I can not for the life of me think of ANY content that they could provide that would be worth forking money out for.
By subscribing we are literally funding their lives. Their lives that they believe are “real lives” but are far from it.
With 2 daughters myself I want influencers to disappear - not start sucking ppl in to pay them to talk tit all day long.

Reactions: 23
You wouldn’t catch me dead subscribing to any influencers.
I can not for the life of me think of ANY content that they could provide that would be worth forking money out for.
By subscribing we are literally funding their lives. Their lives that they believe are “real lives” but are far from it.
With 2 daughters myself I want influencers to disappear - not start sucking ppl in to pay them to talk tit all day long.
Agree completely

Reactions: 4
Further to the Gracie Piscopo drama, this is a post that was deleted on Reddit (it is super easy to look up deleted posts). Originally posted on the r/Perth subreddit
Are there potential consequences to the court case with this case being discussed so much online?

Reactions: 11
Are there potential consequences to the court case with this case being discussed so much online?
Possibly. Might be way too early to tell. Given it’s over in WA there is an element of isolation to that, given Perth is the most isolated city. If a legal gag order is placed, I’ll delete this post

Reactions: 10
Courtney Mangan has just put up on her stories how excited she is for this to be introduced. I’m a fan of Courtney, but honestly who is going to pay for a subscription 🧐? And what content is she thinking about - are people going to pay to see her Netflix recommendations or taste tests?
I like Courtney, but was bummed to see her jumping on this as well. She peddled out the same very long winded, wordy influencer spiel that everyone else has put out there to justify it. I thought her reaction to the DM she got about it was waaaaay OTT, and her defensive reaction made me realise she isn’t asking for feedback at all. She's going to do it anyway. She knows people aren't going to like it and got really defensive at the first person who said they weren't happy about it. The DM was to the point, but it wasn't rude.

I won't subscribe to any influencer account, regardless of the content. They say 'it's only x dollars a month', like that's a pittance....yeah, except that if you paid that pittance to everyone you followed who has a sub account it would be more than my kids school fees. Sub accounts should be for people who have a qualification and are providing a service, such as if someone was to use instagram for their clients instead of a fitness app. Not this 'see more exclusive photos from my wedding' or 'you'll get more of my personal recommendations if you subscribe' bullshit.

Reactions: 24
Courtney Mangan has just put up on her stories how excited she is for
I like Courtney, but was bummed to see her jumping on this as well. She peddled out the same very long winded, wordy influencer spiel that everyone else has put out there to justify it. I thought her reaction to the DM she got about it was waaaaay OTT, and her defensive reaction made me realise she isn’t asking for feedback at all. She's going to do it anyway. She knows people aren't going to like it and got really defensive at the first person who said they weren't happy about it. The DM was to the point, but it wasn't rude.

I won't subscribe to any influencer account, regardless of the content. They say 'it's only x dollars a month', like that's a pittance....yeah, except that if you paid that pittance to everyone you followed who has a sub account it would be more than my kids school fees. Sub accounts should be for people who have a qualification and are providing a service, such as if someone was to use instagram for their clients instead of a fitness app. Not this 'see more exclusive photos from my wedding' or 'you'll get more of my personal recommendations if you subscribe' bullshit.
Courtney just showed the different planet influencers live on where they can’t see why people won’t pay for sub par content. Sophie Guidolin promised wedding photos (then posted one on her public page anyway) discount codes (which brands already paying her to advertise) and more of her bullshit NLP content (which clearly people aren’t buying anyway) why on earth would people pay for Ashy Bines waffly motivational speeches or more how to roll up bliss balls when it’s just someone constantly shoving their face in front of a camera and letting a heap of verbal diarrhea out?

“For the price of a couple of coffees you can follow my tit content!” No thanks, I’ll get way better value for money from the coffees.

Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.