Ashley aka BestDressed

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
i NEED her channel to get demonetised so she can come crawling back and again attempt to present herself under the faux persona of relatable working-class girl who was able to make it all by herself. so strange how

Reactions: 5
sorry, i'm new and don't know how to delete/edit posts 🙃 edit to my last msg: *by herself. so strange how she thinks she can survive on sponsored instagram posts forever

Reactions: 1
Omg same. But she’s to busy building her new NYC “it girl” persona to grovel these days, though ignoring duck ups is like a speciality of hers haha

Reactions: 2
it frustrates me how awful her style is nowadays because i'd love it if she made videos on outfits like she did her old ones. they were groundbreaking at the time.

Reactions: 4
Finally this thread has become active again. Ashley's like that girl you were best friends with in middle school but freshman year comes and she's in with the cool kids and totally "forgets" you exist. 🙃

• Sad
Reactions: 8
I didnt even notice shes gone from youtube until now. I used to take inspiration from her vids but later i realized that her styling works ONLY for her body type. (Except for her tshirt jeans outfits) I remember her folding a headband/headscarf in half and tying on her chest as a top. Seriously??? Its not just the body type but also it wouldnt be possible to wear it many many places on earth even in parts of US. After i realized her suggestions are not realistic i also became aware of her "over quirkyness" and her making a sex reference in every 5 sentences thx to gg. Hope she finds a career she is more passionate about and successful at

I didnt even notice shes gone from youtube until now. I used to take inspiration from her vids but later i realized that her styling works ONLY for her body type. (Except for her tshirt jeans outfits) I remember her folding a headband/headscarf in half and tying on her chest as a top. Seriously??? Its not just the body type but also it wouldnt be possible to wear it many many places on earth even in parts of US. After i realized her suggestions are not realistic i also became aware of her "over quirkyness" and her making a sex reference in every 5 sentences thx to gg. Hope she finds a career she is more passionate about and successful at
Yes, the whole skinny thing is very annoying, nobody else can tuck in whole dresses and sweaters into other clothes like she did in every video, but her channel did inspire me to look at clothing with new eyes and look for what works for me in a way that nothing else ever did.

A lot of her tips and general aesthetic were genuinely great.

Reactions: 3
Ahhh I miss her channel, I have never really understood all the criticism she got…. I’ll have a read through all the earlier posts

Ahhh I miss her channel, I have never really understood all the criticism she got…. I’ll have a read through all the earlier posts
Agree, I liked her for the most part and never felt she did anything that ‘controversial’. The only thing about her that has actually annoyed me is not explaining her YouTube absence to her YouTube fans, as if they’re not the reason she is famous today.

Reactions: 6
I understand the criticism but I really liked her older videos so it makes me sad that she doesn’t do them anymore

Reactions: 3
I think something else that annoyed people was that she made sustainability her brand but she clearly never believed in it.

Like she was thrifting since her early videos but I don't think it was ever about sustainability until that became a trend (honestly, the rate she thrifted at and the number of clothes she used to own should have been a hint!). Then she did the Amazon ad which really put people off her because it was actively against her brand. She ignored anyone pointing out her hypocrisy, switched off comments on that video and never mentioned it again.

I also think the fact that you can't critique her without a million stans coming for you is off-putting too.

Overall I think some of it was the J-Law effect. She tried so hard to be quirky and relatable and played up that side of her persona - supposedly living in the sticks growing up, being a broke student, being open about sex and misogyny, self depracating Jones etc - that eventually people saw that it wasn't genuine. If you ever saw that behind the scenes video where she spends literally minutes trying to get a joke out *perfectly* and restarting over and over again, you'll know how much of her personality was a performance. (It was really bad, felt so sorry for her.) And we still expect some genuineness from youtubers despite knowing that some of it must be for show.

Reactions: 10
I think something else that annoyed people was that she made sustainability her brand but she clearly never believed in it.

Like she was thrifting since her early videos but I don't think it was ever about sustainability until that became a trend (honestly, the rate she thrifted at and the number of clothes she used to own should have been a hint!). Then she did the Amazon ad which really put people off her because it was actively against her brand. She ignored anyone pointing out her hypocrisy, switched off comments on that video and never mentioned it again.

I also think the fact that you can't critique her without a million stans coming for you is off-putting too.

Overall I think some of it was the J-Law effect. She tried so hard to be quirky and relatable and played up that side of her persona - supposedly living in the sticks growing up, being a broke student, being open about sex and misogyny, self depracating Jones etc - that eventually people saw that it wasn't genuine. If you ever saw that behind the scenes video where she spends literally minutes trying to get a joke out *perfectly* and restarting over and over again, you'll know how much of her personality was a performance. (It was really bad, felt so sorry for her.) And we still expect some genuineness from youtubers despite knowing that some of it must be for show.
I didn't see that behind the scenes video - did she post it? Definitely would be interested to see!

I disagree about the behind the scenes video. Yes, it was a little concerning, but honestly, filming yourself without a full script can really look like that. Just because she tried the same sentence many times over doesn't mean that it isn't genuine. And the silences in between takes are completely normal when filming on your own, because you have to think about so many things at once - and leave the spaces for editing later.

I disagree about the behind the scenes video. Yes, it was a little concerning, but honestly, filming yourself without a full script can really look like that. Just because she tried the same sentence many times over doesn't mean that it isn't genuine. And the silences in between takes are completely normal when filming on your own, because you have to think about so many things at once - and leave the spaces for editing later.
Agree, most you tubers have some sort of script , it’s all a performance at the end of the day

It's this one:

I don't know, there's practicing your jokes and then there's this where it looked like she was close to tears because she couldn't get it right.

It's this one:

I don't know, there's practicing your jokes and then there's this where it looked like she was close to tears because she couldn't get it right.
I can't believe she hasn't deleted it yet. It was funny in the first 30 seconds and then she kept going, going, going like some legit crazy person. It was like watching a car crash.

Ahhhhh, the old sustainability line, I see. I don't think I watched enough of her early early videos to hear her talk about sustainability. Because honestly, I don't think I ever heard her mention the word, or perhaps I blocked it out. I did not view her content to be sustainable in any way lol she just wants to look cute, let's be honest. But, I can totally understand the backlash if she tried to speak on that, I wish 99% of fashion influencers would just stay away from the word, it is completely opposed to their position/job on Instagram, Youtube etc.

There are a few reasons why she's disliked honestly, her sustainability farce aside.

e.g the fact that she comes from a wealthy family but was always prattling on about having a hard knock life and "oh look at all my jobs" as if running oneself ragged was an outfit to put on or the way she continually went on about sex, pretending that it made her sex-positive in front of her typically young viewers or the way she flew out one of her white boys to NYC to stay with her right at the height of the pandemic or the way she outed her sister's eating disorder and mental health issues online for millions to see or the prices at which she sells her previously worn clothes at. It's all outlined in other gossip threads.

How is she able to pay her rent rn? Is she just doing Insta sponsorships? She had such a short-lived YT career lol.

Ahhhhh, the old sustainability line, I see. I don't think I watched enough of her early early videos to hear her talk about sustainability. Because honestly, I don't think I ever heard her mention the word, or perhaps I blocked it out. I did not view her content to be sustainable in any way lol she just wants to look cute, let's be honest. But, I can totally understand the backlash if she tried to speak on that, I wish 99% of fashion influencers would just stay away from the word, it is completely opposed to their position/job on Instagram, Youtube etc.
She definitely mentioned it when conversations around sustainability were becoming more mainstream. And because she had such a long history of thrifting, she could kinda build her image around it without much effort. But it's always been the same kind of shallow approach she has to feminism too. I think people projected it on her too. I personally didn't really see her as sustainable but I can see her being a symbol for accessible/mainstream sustainability.

How is she able to pay her rent rn? Is she just doing Insta sponsorships? She had such a short-lived YT career lol.
I bet she gets paid LOADS for her insta sponsorships cause she has over a million followers still. Plus she still has ads on all of her youtube videos - I've been watching some of her old stuff from back when I still liked her style - so she's got a passive income still. Social blade suggests she could be making up to £3.3K a month from youtube which is WILD for someone who isn't actually even on youtube anymore.

• Sad