Anti Conspiracy Theories #2 when a YouTube video just won’t do!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yes this is what i think.

I do admire people such as oooh and what who take the time to post in the CT thread, but sometimes i think its pointless as they dont seem interested in anything anyone else has to say. And the other thing i have noticed is how they rally around each other, they all love react to their mates comments and normally angry react to anyone elses comments.

I find it fascinating, and it would be interesting to read either a sociological or psychological type experiment, because i wonder what else they all have in common.
Just to say, I agree with the recent posts here, and I switched off reaction notifications because of 😡 angry reactions to my posts. Obviously people disagree, fine, no problem, but I choose to ignore their posts and let them think what they want, and it seems that's not a courtesy they extend to others! No, they follow folk round with angry faces 🤣🤣🤣
If it happens to them, wow the complaining ... 🙄

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I was appalled yesterday that one of the regular CT posters put up an article and said how it proved XYZ had increased BUT THE ARTICLE MADE NO REFERENCE AT ALL TO WHAT THEY WERE QUOTING!! Someone did highlight it, but it’s a pointless exercise in my opinion. Blind ignorance is far too prevalent in these times.

Reactions: 7
I honestly find CT amusing sometimes but I think there's a very very thin line between looking at it for giggles/out of interest and then being dragged into believing things very quickly so you have to be careful not to over-engage in a way

A few people in my family have gone down the conspiracy route and have made references to how people are sheep an the like. It just makes no sense to me personally. What's the aim of locking down a country, handing out essentially free money because businesses can't work, and overall convincing a whole country that there's a virus out there when it could very well lead to political suicide for the PM/Conservatives (in this country at least)? And then formulating a fake vaccine that could result in a small portion of deaths - none of it just really makes sense

Reactions: 9
You do need a lot of patience to converse with them and they are very quick to rally around each other if someone questions something. There are a lot of psychological accounts and research articles on the topic of conspiracy theories, how they begin, the social psychology behind it.

I’m sorry you’re feeling like this and you are not alone. There is so much misinformation circulating on the world wide web and it does nothing but cause more fear and upset at a time when trust in someone or something is precious. I hope you’ll feel better and at ease about it all soon.

I’m sorry you’re also feeling like this 😕 I think you’re doing the right thing by not reading as much as it can get into your head and the fear and negativity can take over the rational and level headed thoughts. Hope you will feel better and at ease too with it all.
I am going to look for, and read those studies regarding the social psychology behind CT. I see it in the CT thread that they appear quite close to each other, and very supportive to each other. Which i suppose is a good thing if they are feeling lonely. But it makes me question whether they whole heartily believe everything they say, or whether the support and belonging is more important of a factor than the CT they talk about.

Reactions: 5
Perhaps we are in need of some light relief from the more depressing and pernicious aspects of conspiracy theories. Have a look at this video posted by a conspiracy theorist I have followed for some years. The video has been doing the rounds amongst CT-ers for years but the commentary is all hers and it's unintentionally hysterical.

What makes it even funnier is that the source of the clearly 'fake' video is also on YouTube in the first minute of this short film made by filmmaker Tim Smit

And someone has linked the original film in the comments of the CT video yet people are still commenting as if it's real

Just to get serious for a minute, don't be tempted to click on the link titled 'sunaina2007' in the first video. As I said I've been following this particular CT-er for some years and nobody will want to see the images in that link.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Perhaps we are in need of some light relief from the more depressing and pernicious aspects of conspiracy theories. Have a look at this video posted by a conspiracy theorist I have followed for some years. The video has been doing the rounds amongst CT-ers for years but the commentary is all hers and it's unintentionally hysterical.

What makes it even funnier is that the source of the clearly 'fake' video is also on YouTube in the first minute of this short film made by filmmaker Tim Smit

And someone has linked the original film in the comments of the CT video yet people are still commenting as if it's real

Just to get serious for a minute, don't be tempted to click on the link titled 'sunaina2007' in the first video. As I said I've been following this particular CT-er for some years and nobody will want to see the images in that link.
I looked. Seems a very sad story and state of affairs. Is this what got her into CTs?

Reactions: 1
I am going to look for, and read those studies regarding the social psychology behind CT. I see it in the CT thread that they appear quite close to each other, and very supportive to each other. Which i suppose is a good thing if they are feeling lonely. But it makes me question whether they whole heartily believe everything they say, or whether the support and belonging is more important of a factor than the CT they talk about.
The closeness and support - looking at it from a sociological/social psychology perspective - could be seen as a form of an ‘in group’. It is a social group whereby a person will identify as being a member of/part of because of beliefs or common interests. They all believe deeply in the same things.

Reactions: 4
It must be exhausting constantly thinking everything that happens in the world is part of some nefarious agenda ... apparently even the football super league is to hide darker intentions now 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 13
It must be exhausting constantly thinking everything that happens in the world is part of some nefarious agenda ... apparently even the football super league is to hide darker intentions now 😆
Tbf it's not unusual for the government to release some unfavourable stuff when big news stories are dominating the news because chances are the news/people won't focus on it so it gets 'hidden', and then people don't really pay attention to that either because football > some political nonsense

To think there's something more than that being hidden is a bit questionable though 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 2
That's definitely true with the flat earth community. Very evident in the Netflix documentary.

Reactions: 3
People who feel helpless can be drawn to CTs. It makes them feel like they have knowledge and therefore power. It makes them feel superior to other helpless people as they think they have the insight and intelligence to see through things. I would be very interested in doing a study on it.

Reactions: 5
People who feel helpless can be drawn to CTs. It makes them feel like they have knowledge and therefore power. It makes them feel superior to other helpless people as they think they have the insight and intelligence to see through things. I would be very interested in doing a study on it.
I imagine those types of people would be drawn to Cults as well. Good job the CT's don't have a leader!

Reactions: 3
Well I guess there’s Alex Jones and the illustrious Q to choose from too 😂🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.