Anti Conspiracy Theories #2 when a YouTube video just won’t do!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know Reddit isn't known for the most ... rational people but seeing a thread on there about why posters didn't want children made my mind boggle. A lot of the replies were from people who were convinced that various conspiracies would result in children born today not living to middle age or even their 20s. One person believed in a eugenics programme designed to breed most people out of existence by making cryogenics commonplace and then causing more pandemics. This, apparently, would make it "unethical" for people to have children unless they could afford around $250,000 USD for the child to be frozen if they became infected. Should the OP ever happen across this thread: I wouldn't let it worry you. Even if such a situation did occur, it wouldn't put most people off reproducing

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4
There are a lot of people who are at pains to tell you that they aren't 'anti-vax' but somehow spend at lot of time telling you how bad vaccines are. There seems to be a bit of confusion in the logic and language so perhaps a few definitions might help:
  • Correlation: a connection between two or more things
  • Cause: a person or thing that gives rise to an action, phenomenon, or condition
  • Fact: a thing that is known or proved to be true
  • Opinion: a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge
Examples:
  • Some people have died soon after having a Covid vaccination. There is a temporal correlation between the two events. This does not mean that the vaccine is the cause of the death.
  • It is a fact that some people have died after having the vaccination, until proven otherwise it is an opinion that the vaccine caused the death.
  • I know someone who always got flu after having the flu jab. It is my opinion that the flu jab was the cause of their flu. It is a fact that the flu jab cannot give you flu.
There is of course a long history of people getting confused between these concepts especially on vaccines, perhaps most notable recently Dr Andrew Wakefield and the MMR / Autism scandal. But this temptation to infer causation to correlated events is as old as time. In the 16th century, one of my ancestors was condemned as a witch because a milk cow died after being driven past her house.

Reactions: 11
Examples:
  • Some people have died soon after having a Covid vaccination. There is a temporal correlation between the two events. This does not mean that the vaccine is the cause of the death.
  • It is a fact that some people have died after having the vaccination, until proven otherwise it is an opinion that the vaccine caused the death.
  • I know someone who always got flu after having the flu jab. It is my opinion that the flu jab was the cause of their flu. It is a fact that the flu jab cannot give you flu.
There is of course a long history of people getting confused between these concepts especially on vaccines, perhaps most notable recently Dr Andrew Wakefield and the MMR / Autism scandal. But this temptation to infer causation to correlated events is as old as time. In the 16th century, one of my ancestors was condemned as a witch because a milk cow died after being driven past her house.
- some people have died after the vaccine. It's natural human reaction to assume the last thing that happened to the person caused the death. That happens with many sudden deaths, so to dismiss a families feelings isn't helpful to the grieving process

- absolutely, we so need to wait until a PM is done, and that is what the families of lost ones post vaccine are wanting. Again, dismissing that death isn't fair

- comparing an age old vaccine and a disputed theory against a new vaccine isn't fair. Compare it to the Swine Flu vaccine or Thalidomide is fair

Balance both ways is what is needed. Just like Covid deaths, no one questioned them really until more data came out and it was widely reported that many had been put as covid deaths when they shouldn't have been and families disputed this

• Heart
- some people have died after the vaccine. It's natural human reaction to assume the last thing that happened to the person caused the death. That happens with many sudden deaths, so to dismiss a families feelings isn't helpful to the grieving process

- absolutely, we so need to wait until a PM is done, and that is what the families of lost ones post vaccine are wanting. Again, dismissing that death isn't fair

- comparing an age old vaccine and a disputed theory against a new vaccine isn't fair. Compare it to the Swine Flu vaccine or Thalidomide is fair

Balance both ways is what is needed. Just like Covid deaths, no one questioned them really until more data came out and it was widely reported that many had been put as covid deaths when they shouldn't have been and families disputed this
It appears that we agree. Some people have died after getting the vaccine and as you say it is a perfectly natural human reaction that some families will assume a causal link between the two events even without evidence. Nobody is dismissing their feelings but you would agree they are not facts until as you say each case is properly investigated. On that basis you wouldn't agree with someone who chose to continually cite reports about people who have died after receiving a vaccine not as cases to be investigated but as facts that prove "vaccine injuries and deaths"?

And speaking of dismissing feelings, you would presumably also condemn anyone who dismissed as 'sad' the feelings of family members of someone who has died but still encouraged others to get the vaccine?

I'm not sure what point you are making about 'comparing' vaccines. If I was comparing anything it was the reactions of people who confuse correlation and causality even at the cost of denying facts. The example of someone still asserting that they got the flu after having the flu vaccination and thus that the vaccination gave them the flu occurred only a few days ago and despite the fact that it is not possible. It's also a fact that is not even technically possible to be affected by 'viral shedding' from a non-live vaccination but that hasn't stopped that old anti-vax trope emerging again.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
It appears that we agree. Some people have died after getting the vaccine and as you say it is a perfectly natural human reaction that some families will assume a causal link between the two events even without evidence. Nobody is dismissing their feelings but you would agree they are not facts until as you say each case is properly investigated. On that basis you wouldn't agree with someone who chose to continually cite reports about people who have died after receiving a vaccine not as cases to be investigated but as facts that prove "vaccine injuries and deaths"?

And speaking of dismissing feelings, you would presumably also condemn anyone who dismissed as 'sad' the feelings of family members of someone who has died but still encouraged others to get the vaccine?

I'm not sure what point you are making about 'comparing' vaccines. If I was comparing anything it was the reactions of people who confuse correlation and causality even at the cost of denying facts. The example of someone still asserting that they got the flu after having the flu vaccination and thus that the vaccination gave them the flu occurred only a few days ago and despite the fact that it is not possible. It's also a fact that is not even technically possible to be affected by 'viral shedding' from a non-live vaccination but that hasn't stopped that old anti-vax trope emerging again.
Brilliant post!

Reactions: 1
The thing that interests me is whether CT find it exhausting to constantly be thinking about possible theories. Because, i find it mentally draining and exhausting to read the CT thread to be honest. I am sure they have more going on in their lives than CT but some times it feels like thats all they do. I dont post in that thread as i find a couple of them to be uncomfortable and not welcoming, but i do wonder about that.

Also, do you think they honestly believe in everything they say regarding CT? Part of me thinks of course they believe in it, but then the other part of me questions whether its more to do with them feeling like they belong to a certain group and that feeling of inclusion and belonging is more important than their beliefs.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
They refuse to acknowledge anything presented to them that does not follow their own narrative. Even if from a reputable source they dismiss it and claim they know better or know the facts.

Reactions: 13
They refuse to acknowledge anything presented to them that does not follow their own narrative. Even if from a reputable source they dismiss it and claim they know better or know the facts.
Yes i have noticed that as well.

Are they willing to accept evidence if it contradicts what they previously thought? Or do they purely believe and argue what they believe?

They genuinely don’t appear to be able to differentiate between their individual belief/experience and actual facts. It’s like they don’t understand the definition of what is considered factual information 🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 8
Full disclosure, I’m finding the vaccine stuff is pushing me over the edge,
I don’t ever let social media influence my thoughts or actions, but there is such a strong narrative that the vaccine is killing people I almost broke down to my mum begging her not to get it.

this isn’t me, this is me being triggered by reading too much bullshit backed up by information found on honestnewmedia dot bullshit or something similar.

this isn’t an attack on the CT thread, just social media in general

• Sad
I don’t ever let social media influence my thoughts or actions, but there is such a strong narrative that the vaccine is killing people I almost broke down to my mum begging her not to get it.

this isn’t me, this is me being triggered by reading too much bullshit backed up by information found on honestnewmedia dot bullshit or something similar.
I have felt the same way. I’ve cried. I’ve felt terrified of my husband getting it. I’ve even had a nightmare around it. Stopped reading as much and felt a bit more level headed about it the past few days, but still a little closer to the side of scared. I feel like I can’t get proper perspective in my head. It’s tit, all of this. The one positive is I know quite a few people who’ve had it now and all have been absolutely fine, helps to know this.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I have felt the same way. I’ve cried. I’ve felt terrified of my husband getting it. I’ve even had a nightmare around it. Stopped reading as much and felt a bit more level headed about it the past few days, but still a little closer to the side of scared. I feel like I can’t get proper perspective in my head. It’s tit, all of this. The one positive is I know quite a few people who’ve had it now and all have been absolutely fine, helps to know this.
its so overwhelming, and it’s doesn’t help to be reading this “just wait and see” condescending attitude, or the “wait until they realise what fools they’ve been” tit.

I enjoy taking part in some conversation around it until it starts effecting me. I’m ashamed to say it has.

Reactions: 5
its so overwhelming, and it’s doesn’t help to be reading this “just wait and see” condescending attitude, or the “wait until they realise what fools they’ve been” tit.

I enjoy taking part in some conversation around it until it starts effecting me. I’m ashamed to say it has.
I am so sorry you are feeling this way.

Its not the same at all but i ended up snapping at one of the regular CT contributers because they got to me. When in hindsight i should have just ignored them and got on with my day.

I know this probably means nothing to you (that a random stranger from the internet thinks this) but i find you so brave and so patient. The way i have seen you on different threads being respectful and the way you talk to people. I am not that brave at all! :)

• Heart
Reactions: 6

I totally understand that and I don’t think you’ll be alone in feeling like that way at all ❤
It’s such a sensitive topic and the discourse of “I’m going to send that frightening video clip to my friend who’s on the fence” is the element that really pisses me off.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
It’s for each individual to decide what they are going to do. I struggle to take CT seriously though when their news sites are homophobic and anti-abortion 🙄😂

They will all be the first to kick off though if the roadmap doesn’t happen because not enough people have taken up vaccines

Last edited:
Reactions: 10
Yes i have noticed that as well.

Are they willing to accept evidence if it contradicts what they previously thought? Or do they purely believe and argue what they believe?
They’re not willing to accept anything you present them with but they are willing to believe in randomly put together videos or a conversation from someone who saw something on a Facebook post. Research at its finest.

They genuinely don’t appear to be able to differentiate between their individual belief/experience and actual facts. It’s like they don’t understand the definition of what is considered factual information 🤷🏻‍♀️
They’re so deep into their own narrative that anything else presented to them is a blur or tainted information. It’s a hypothesis that goes against mainstream consensus and they will go against anyone who is qualified to evaluate the accuracy of given information such as scientists.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
They’re not willing to accept anything you present them with but they are willing to believe in randomly put together videos or a conversation from someone who saw something on a Facebook post. Research at its finest.
Yes this is what i think.

I do admire people such as oooh and what who take the time to post in the CT thread, but sometimes i think its pointless as they dont seem interested in anything anyone else has to say. And the other thing i have noticed is how they rally around each other, they all love react to their mates comments and normally angry react to anyone elses comments.

I find it fascinating, and it would be interesting to read either a sociological or psychological type experiment, because i wonder what else they all have in common.

Yes this is what i think.

I do admire people such as oooh and what who take the time to post in the CT thread, but sometimes i think its pointless as they dont seem interested in anything anyone else has to say. And the other thing i have noticed is how they rally around each other, they all love react to their mates comments and normally angry react to anyone elses comments.

I find it fascinating, and it would be interesting to read either a sociological or psychological type experiment, because i wonder what else they all have in common.
You do need a lot of patience to converse with them and they are very quick to rally around each other if someone questions something. There are a lot of psychological accounts and research articles on the topic of conspiracy theories, how they begin, the social psychology behind it.

this isn’t an attack on the CT thread, just social media in general
I’m sorry you’re feeling like this and you are not alone. There is so much misinformation circulating on the world wide web and it does nothing but cause more fear and upset at a time when trust in someone or something is precious. I hope you’ll feel better and at ease about it all soon.

I’m sorry you’re also feeling like this 😕 I think you’re doing the right thing by not reading as much as it can get into your head and the fear and negativity can take over the rational and level headed thoughts. Hope you will feel better and at ease too with it all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.