Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I find this thread so therapeutic. Not just because it gives me a chance to rant, but also because I know I'm far from alone when I read a lot of the posts and that's comforting. 😂

My rant for today... I had yesterday off work and I know I'm silly to log in today (Saturday) but I have to do it because I know if I leave everything till Monday morning it'll be a shitshow. I don't reply to any emails as I don't want anyone knowing I've logged on - as people will then expect replies at the weekend.

I received 72 emails yesterday. I wish they'd all duck off to be quite frank. One of them is a meeting invite for Monday morning at 9am. When I've already got a meeting. Apparently it's really urgent... well, maybe organise your tit better rather than double booking me after a day off. This guy always does this... leaves things till the last minute then puts in "urgent" meetings. Well, I'll decline it with pleasure, mate. 😂

The other 71 emails can nob off as well. I was on leave, which you knew because of my out of office, so just wait till I'm back instead of filling my inbox. I honestly think I can negotiate a bigger payrise because people clearly don't bug any other colleagues when I'm on leave which surely means I'm indispensible? (I'm not, I know, but I honestly think it could help me in any negotiations!)

OK I feel better now. :D

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I find this thread so therapeutic. Not just because it gives me a chance to rant, but also because I know I'm far from alone when I read a lot of the posts and that's comforting. 😂

My rant for today... I had yesterday off work and I know I'm silly to log in today (Saturday) but I have to do it because I know if I leave everything till Monday morning it'll be a shitshow. I don't reply to any emails as I don't want anyone knowing I've logged on - as people will then expect replies at the weekend.

I received 72 emails yesterday. I wish they'd all duck off to be quite frank. One of them is a meeting invite for Monday morning at 9am. When I've already got a meeting. Apparently it's really urgent... well, maybe organise your tit better rather than double booking me after a day off. This guy always does this... leaves things till the last minute then puts in "urgent" meetings. Well, I'll decline it with pleasure, mate. 😂

The other 71 emails can nob off as well. I was on leave, which you knew because of my out of office, so just wait till I'm back instead of filling my inbox. I honestly think I can negotiate a bigger payrise because people clearly don't bug any other colleagues when I'm on leave which surely means I'm indispensible? (I'm not, I know, but I honestly think it could help me in any negotiations!)

Honestly hate this type of thing. I don’t reply emails out of office hours, I receive a lot of emails including one about something relatively minor at 10pm on a Sunday. Why not just delay send emails FFS

Reactions: 3
Honestly hate this type of thing. I don’t reply emails out of office hours, I receive a lot of emails including one about something relatively minor at 10pm on a Sunday. Why not just delay send emails FFS
I think some people do it because they think it makes them look hardworking, whereas I think it makes them look a bit sad. 😂

Besides, it's obvious they only log on for about 10 minutes just to send the emails before logging straight off again.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I hate when colleagues get tooooo personal. We are only friends because I see you every day. I don’t care what you did at the weekend and/or about your husbands birthday balloons please shut up 🤣🤣🤣
Oh god, there is a guy like that in my team at work. He seems to think he and his life are endlessly fascinating and will tell anyone who will listen all about his weekend, what his kids have been doing etc etc etc. I had him sussed within a very short time and avoid him like the plague - he was my line manager for a while and would constantly stick his nose into my private affairs too. Soon saw him off!! He is a bleeping knob.

Reactions: 2

Some people are complete dopes.

I was OOO for three weeks and had about 400 emails in my inbox when I got back. Then, I saw emails from some guy who kept sending chasers on something and it was obvious I was OOO especially as I had a message on and my Skype said X amount of days offline. I'm never offline when I'm in, so I clearly wasn't in. This dope kept sending me emails reading: "Kind reminder"; "I am not sure if this email has reached you, but if you could provide XYZ today". Then at the end of week three, he ended up escalating to my manager saying: "I don't know if my emails have reached TheGlossy, but can you please provide XYZ". For real!! I don't even know what to say, some people are just unreal and think you'd be working on your death bed.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I have this direct co-worker in my LinkedIn contacts who keeps viewing my LinkedIn profile literally every couple of days. Super weird.

If it's someone I directly work with, I check them out once when I sent them a connection request and that's it.

We work together - you already know all there is to know buddy.
OMG, that EXACT thing happened to me with the knobhead manager I talked about in my previous comment. It was horrible, I felt like I was being stalked. A couple of weeks ago I blocked him so he will no longer be able to see my LinkedIn profile. He's a weirdo, there is something very wrong with him. 🤢🤢🤢

• Wow
  • Sick

I was OOO for three weeks and had about 400 emails in my inbox when I got back. Then, I saw emails from some guy who kept sending chasers on something and it was obvious I was OOO especially as I had a message on and my Skype said X amount of days offline. I'm never offline when I'm in, so I clearly wasn't in. This dope kept sending me emails reading: "Kind reminder"; "I am not sure if this email has reached you, but if you could provide XYZ today". Then at the end of week three, he ended up escalating to my manager saying: "I don't know if my emails have reached TheGlossy, but can you please provide XYZ". For real!! I don't even know what to say, some people are just unreal and think you'd be working on your death bed.
I had 2days off a few weeks ago and OOO clearly said not back until X. One person sent 10 emails asking why I hadnt responded to his urgent request. Because Im not in.
My compant publicly say log off on time, make sure to keep a good balance etc. But there is an expectation that you will check and respond to emails on your commute and you will log in the day before you come back from leave so that you are fully up to speed by the time you offically start.
Its taken me a long time to stop checking my mails at the weekend but I had to stop for my mental health.

• Wow
Reactions: 5

Haha yeah I get the same thing. I was asked for an urgent update on something I wasn't directly involved in on a day when I was clearly on annual leave because my out of office message was on.

When I got back I sent an email along lines of: "I assume you contacted X about this while I was on leave?" and he hadn't!

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Not knowing how to do their job.

I work in a bar for a music venue. It’s a fast paced environment and you have to have experience to work there as there’s not enough time to train people on how to do the basics of working in a bar.

Some girl came in last night for her first shift and it turns out she lied during her interview, she’s never worked behind a bar in her life. Her pints were coming out pure foam, she was trying to give customers triple shots in their drink (goes against licensing rules), she didn’t know how to use the till, how to change an optic when the bottles were empty. Then asked at 9pm when the band was on if she could go down and watch them. Errrr, no love, there’s still a ton customers in the bar, you’re going nowhere.

She was on her phone, eating behind the bar (not allowed to do that, you have to go down to the break room to eat - unless it’s for medical reasons), and was just so rude to staff and customers.

She won’t be coming back 😬

• Haha
  • Wow
Not knowing how to do their job.

I work in a bar for a music venue. It’s a fast paced environment and you have to have experience to work there as there’s not enough time to train people on how to do the basics of working in a bar.

Some girl came in last night for her first shift and it turns out she lied during her interview, she’s never worked behind a bar in her life. Her pints were coming out pure foam, she was trying to give customers triple shots in their drink (goes against licensing rules), she didn’t know how to use the till, how to change an optic when the bottles were empty. Then asked at 9pm when the band was on if she could go down and watch them. Errrr, no love, there’s still a ton customers in the bar, you’re going nowhere.

She was on her phone, eating behind the bar (not allowed to do that, you have to go down to the break room to eat - unless it’s for medical reasons), and was just so rude to staff and customers.

She won’t be coming back 😬
Sounds like she took taking the piss to a new level!

People who clearly do not read spreadsheets.

There is this one spreadsheet that has two tabs:
  1. Number of cases reviewed (8)
  2. Number of issues identified within the files reviewed (2)
Some dope sent me an email saying: "It appears that are 8 issues identified within the cases reviewed, please pull the reports pertaining to each of these 8 issues".

The Excel clearly states 8 cases reviewed, 2 issues identified across those 8 files. It's just reading comprehension, not rocket science. It's a huge waste of my time to explain what the spreadsheet very clearly states. I didn't even do the spreadsheet myself, but it was obvious, just read the damn titles.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
What are people's thoughts on this...i am a manager with 4 direct reports. My manager tends to focus on the negative all the time. It's rarely positive. I brought this up recently at my performance review. I was diplomatic and said as a company we need to focus more on the positive and remember to say "thank you". I could've given very specific examples but the tone of the meeting wasnt negative for once so I didnt want to bring it down.

Today a member of another team made a mistake and my manager approved said work and right after noticed the issue but it was too late. My team are the starting point of this work and we had done nothing wrong but on our daily call with all team members she called us out regarding one thing which is completely irrelevant and would not have solved the problem. No focus on her mistake or the other persons mistake. My team member who is responsible for this area rang me so confused wanting to know what she had done wrong. Her automatic assumption now due to the negativity is that we made a mistake.

I feel my manager has a tendency to focus on the negative in my team in particular. We are the team that has the most "reach" if that makes sense in that our work can impact others but they dont impact us so much. But I have seen situations where she ignores mistakes when they make a mistake that impacts us.

I plan to bring it up with her in person but part of me wonders is it worth it. This is the way she is and I dont think i can change her. If I am not happy i think my only solution is to leave rather than pointing out to her all the negative things she brings up. I am there less than a year but it has gotten progressively worse. We are in our busiest period so that doesnt help.

On our daily calls the tone/morale is completely brought down if she is in a bad mood. Recently we had a big deadline and on the last day when we were 99.9% there we all were in great spirits on the call and she made some comment about "well finally it took ye long enough". No thank you or well done afterwards. I spoke to every member of my team afterwards and thanked them for their hard work and have planned a team lunch for us.

I spoke to the other manager and he said our manager is aware that her delivery isnt great but that he hasnt been great at flagging it to her. He thinks she will be open to feedback. He is there around 2 years so has more experience with her. Any thoughts?

• Sad
Reactions: 4
What are people's thoughts on this...i am a manager with 4 direct reports. My manager tends to focus on the negative all the time. It's rarely positive. I brought this up recently at my performance review. I was diplomatic and said as a company we need to focus more on the positive and remember to say "thank you". I could've given very specific examples but the tone of the meeting wasnt negative for once so I didnt want to bring it down.

Today a member of another team made a mistake and my manager approved said work and right after noticed the issue but it was too late. My team are the starting point of this work and we had done nothing wrong but on our daily call with all team members she called us out regarding one thing which is completely irrelevant and would not have solved the problem. No focus on her mistake or the other persons mistake. My team member who is responsible for this area rang me so confused wanting to know what she had done wrong. Her automatic assumption now due to the negativity is that we made a mistake.

I feel my manager has a tendency to focus on the negative in my team in particular. We are the team that has the most "reach" if that makes sense in that our work can impact others but they dont impact us so much. But I have seen situations where she ignores mistakes when they make a mistake that impacts us.

I plan to bring it up with her in person but part of me wonders is it worth it. This is the way she is and I dont think i can change her. If I am not happy i think my only solution is to leave rather than pointing out to her all the negative things she brings up. I am there less than a year but it has gotten progressively worse. We are in our busiest period so that doesnt help.

On our daily calls the tone/morale is completely brought down if she is in a bad mood. Recently we had a big deadline and on the last day when we were 99.9% there we all were in great spirits on the call and she made some comment about "well finally it took ye long enough". No thank you or well done afterwards. I spoke to every member of my team afterwards and thanked them for their hard work and have planned a team lunch for us.

I spoke to the other manager and he said our manager is aware that her delivery isnt great but that he hasnt been great at flagging it to her. He thinks she will be open to feedback. He is there around 2 years so has more experience with her. Any thoughts?
I wouldn't bother saying anything tbh. She might shoot the messenger. I'd encourage the other Manager to speak up in a way that they don't see it as a chore but more something that they are skilled enough to tackle.

I have a man who always says goodnight everyday when he leaves. He finishes at 3:30.

• Haha
Impatient people who make their problem your problem.

There is this guy who keeps asking questions that require investigation and I have more urgent things to deal with. If I don't respond within 2 hours, he either chases again via email or pings me to ask if I got his email. I hate people who work like this.

So I have an issue with a supervisor at our sister site. she is so tit at her job and passes along most of her work to my supervisor. She is currently training a new starter(training is 12 weeks and starter is on week 7). She keeps putting her on a lone shift with myself so there is one operator at each site taking all 3 sites internal/external and emergency calls. We dont get a proper break on a lone shift as we cant leave the office and have to listen out for emergencies and stuff.
So every time she is doing a lone shift( it seems to be whenever im on) she takes this new girl off the board to work on a rota(which has about 8 names you fill in, its literally a piece of piss even if it is the first time you have ever done it). So she keeps leaving me on my own for hours at a time to take all the trust's calls and I am getting so pissed off. She had her spend 5 hours doing a rota the other night, 5 hours!!! I told my supervisor about it and she said its not how she trains and to just tell her no if she says she wants her off the board.
The thing is she asks you in a way where if you say no it makes you look like an asshole. Last week she pretty much tried to force me to have my break early so she could get her doing the rota. I told her no and that i will have break when she has finished as I will be ready for one after taking all the calls. She reckons she watches the board and will jump on if we get busy. I'm nhs and as you can imagine very overworked and stressed, doing hellish shifts with very little sleep. So I come to work today and see I am on with her again and I just know shes going to try and get this girl off the board. I need to psych myself up to say no and that I would rather she didnt but I know there will be a big fall out over it.

• Sad
I overheard three colleagues discussing and laughing about my body shape today. I am quite pear shaped and they were discussing how I have a small head and fat arse. Feel like tit now to be honest!

I work in a school BTW and the bitchiness is something else.

• Sad
  • Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 30
I overheard three colleagues discussing and laughing about my body shape today. I am quite pear shaped and they were discussing how I have a small head and fat arse. Feel like tit now to be honest!

That isnt on! Would you report to HR?

That isnt on! Would you report to HR?
I'm not sure. I felt quite embarrassed typing it here but wanted to tell someone. I didn't confront them or anything. They were stood around the photocopier and I was putting something in a cupboard around the corner. I'm quite new but won't be there long to be honest it's a short term supply contract.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 8

How dare they. Try not to feel like tit & take solace in knowing you’re probably a much nicer person than any of them

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.