Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I actually needed to have a discussion with 2 grown men, 6 figure earners, about leaving their teabags on the side of the sink instead of putting them in the bin. The whole “would you do this at home” discussion happened. It’s as if some people decide the cleaners or the office managers are their skivvies!
An MD in a previous job of mine used to leave the kitchen a STATE! Piles of coffee and water, dirty spoons left out. And the kettle, he’d put it next to the base!! Is it that hard to put it on the friggin base! Used to make me seethe 😂

Every office I’ve ever worked it, it seems everyone has been incapable of washing a bloody teaspoon.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
An MD in a previous job of mine used to leave the kitchen a STATE! Piles of coffee and water, dirty spoons left out. And the kettle, he’d put it next to the base!! Is it that hard to put it on the friggin base! Used to make me seethe 😂

Every office I’ve ever worked it, it seems everyone has been incapable of washing a bloody teaspoon.

All of these people need to be put on a deserted island somewhere and left to fend for themselves 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Haha. I remember one evening, there was stack of dirty cutlery in the sink waiting to be washed along with a bunch of mugs piled on top of another. I went on to wash the spoon I used in order to place it in the dishwasher afterwards and some lady was absolutely floored when she saw me and said: "You're literally the only person on this floor who bothers, if only other people had the same courtesy". To me, it's normal behaviour to clean up after yourself in the workplace. I just think it's disgusting to leave your dirty dishes in the sink just because you think someone is "paid" to clean them. Fair enough if you have at cleaning lady at home, but not acceptable in the workplace.

Reactions: 7
depends what it was, your petty, might not be her petty
I see your point.
However, she has demonstrated/explained what she thinks I did but the supposed incident was recorded on a Teams meeting, I've watched it back and it was nothing like she described! She has completely over reacted and built it up in her own mind into some dreadful slight.

She doesn't have access to the recording, so when I go back to work I really really want her to watch it so she can see what a complete arse she has been for the past 2 months 🙄

Reactions: 4
What are people's thoughts on this...i am a manager with 4 direct reports. My manager tends to focus on the negative all the time. It's rarely positive. I brought this up recently at my performance review. I was diplomatic and said as a company we need to focus more on the positive and remember to say "thank you". I could've given very specific examples but the tone of the meeting wasnt negative for once so I didnt want to bring it down.

Today a member of another team made a mistake and my manager approved said work and right after noticed the issue but it was too late. My team are the starting point of this work and we had done nothing wrong but on our daily call with all team members she called us out regarding one thing which is completely irrelevant and would not have solved the problem. No focus on her mistake or the other persons mistake. My team member who is responsible for this area rang me so confused wanting to know what she had done wrong. Her automatic assumption now due to the negativity is that we made a mistake.

I feel my manager has a tendency to focus on the negative in my team in particular. We are the team that has the most "reach" if that makes sense in that our work can impact others but they dont impact us so much. But I have seen situations where she ignores mistakes when they make a mistake that impacts us.

I plan to bring it up with her in person but part of me wonders is it worth it. This is the way she is and I dont think i can change her. If I am not happy i think my only solution is to leave rather than pointing out to her all the negative things she brings up. I am there less than a year but it has gotten progressively worse. We are in our busiest period so that doesnt help.

On our daily calls the tone/morale is completely brought down if she is in a bad mood. Recently we had a big deadline and on the last day when we were 99.9% there we all were in great spirits on the call and she made some comment about "well finally it took ye long enough". No thank you or well done afterwards. I spoke to every member of my team afterwards and thanked them for their hard work and have planned a team lunch for us.

I spoke to the other manager and he said our manager is aware that her delivery isnt great but that he hasnt been great at flagging it to her. He thinks she will be open to feedback. He is there around 2 years so has more experience with her. Any thoughts?
Quoting myself but I brought this up with my manager and now she is ending all emails to the team with "thank you for your assistance in this matter." I also got a snarky "please and thank you" when in the office and she asked to me do something 🙄

I spoke to a few members of the team and they are glad it has been brought up but I dont think it will change anything. A few didnt know about all of this and they have been asking what is going on with her emails!

Our discussion went on for 2hrs and basically it sounds like she is struggling but also its just who she is. It sounds like we are all frustrated and over worked. She acknowledged her delivery is poor and she will work on that. I told her we dont want acknowledgment or thanks for the sake. The immature, passive agressive comments today are very frustrating and makes me think that she is going to make this difficult.

3/4s of my team are new and going through our first busy period and she is frustrated that she had to help us out with two tasks/processes as she has enough to do and that we had to delay a deadline. I feel like i was set up to fail as the handover was lacking and she can be condescending when I was ask questions depending on her humour. She told me about certain tasks that I was unaware of way too late in the cycle. I told her this is why I behind. It seems like a vicious circle and i think there will be no winners.

I will give it a few months just to see how things go as I want to at least give it a chance after our chat. Unfortunately I have a 3 month notice period.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I worked in a place that employed 'floor walkers' to go around and clean the kitchens, load and unload the dishwashers, check for any hazards, make sure the multi-function machines all had paper and toner in them, etc. - it was great! Everything was spotless and it was a super-nice place to work with great energy.

In just about every place I've worked since, there's been a printed page - normally in Comic Sans font - "reminding" people about kitchen etiquette. It just seems passive aggressive and it's usually only a small number of asshats that ruin it for everyone else.

Reactions: 9
I worked in a place that employed 'floor walkers' to go around and clean the kitchens, load and unload the dishwashers, check for any hazards, make sure the multi-function machines all had paper and toner in them, etc. - it was great! Everything was spotless and it was a super-nice place to work with great energy.

In just about every place I've worked since, there's been a printed page - normally in Comic Sans font - "reminding" people about kitchen etiquette. It just seems passive aggressive and it's usually only a small number of asshats that ruin it for everyone else.
A former colleague once commented that he wouldnt empty the dishwasher as he didnt go to college to empty a dishwasher at work!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
Supervisors who undermine you in front of customers.

A mum and daughter came to me to be served - the daughter ordered a cider. I asked for ID as she looked under 25. The mum instantly went ‘no it’s for me’ and the daughter said ‘yeah I was suggesting a drink’ - to which I said ‘well no, the order came from you so I need to see some ID’

My supervisor heard this and came over. Forced me to serve them two drinks and let them be on their way.

Going to speak to my main manager tonight about this as I’m sure this isn’t right as I asked for ID and never saw it.
As far as i am aware from what i have been told and experiance, a manager cant overrule once you have asked for ID. I had it a few years ago when the same "lady" kept asking for my ID dispite her knowing i was older than her - when i complained to the snarky manager she said "i cant over rule her"

As far as i am aware from what i have been told and experiance, a manager cant overrule once you have asked for ID. I had it a few years ago when the same "lady" kept asking for my ID dispite her knowing i was older than her - when i complained to the snarky manager she said "i cant over rule her"
I spoke to my main boss yesterday. He said he shouldn’t have made me serve her.
He’s not mad at me, which is what I was worried about 🙈 and is going to be having words with the supervisor to ensure this doesn’t happen again.

I’d of been a bit more understanding if the girl looked older, but her mum looked no older than 35. The daughter looked 16, trying to look 18. Unfortunately for her, you get ID’d if you look under 25.

One of my colleagues claims to be a feminist. She talks a good talk - she's on the Women's Council, she actively participates in Women in Tech and Women in STEM events. Yet she most definitely doesn't walk the walk.

I've heard her refer to female colleagues as "Mutton dressed as Lamb" or "dresses for work like they're going on a night out". She hired someone on a "back to work scheme" and got rid of them after only 3 months because in her words "they printed too much and that's not right for someone in a tech company" She mentored a younger woman, as part of her own succession planning goal, but I've seen her holding her back by taking credit for her ideas and subtly undermining her with clever put downs and leaving her out of meeting and events on purpose. The office is close to a working class area and many locals are employed in the canteen, cleaners, reception etc and she makes subtle but snide comments about accents etc

Now I may have the concept of feminism all wrong, but I thought it promoted Women wearing what they feel comfortable in, celebrated female diversity in the workplace, building up the next generation of female leaders and leading by example. Not virtue signalling by giving an older woman a chance to rejoin the workforce to make yourself look good, only to toss her back on the scrap heap after deciding its too much work to bring them up to speed.

Is it possible she's blind to her own hypocrisy?

• Sad
Reactions: 12
One of my colleagues claims to be a feminist. She talks a good talk - she's on the Women's Council, she actively participates in Women in Tech and Women in STEM events. Yet she most definitely doesn't walk the walk.

I've heard her refer to female colleagues as "Mutton dressed as Lamb" or "dresses for work like they're going on a night out". She hired someone on a "back to work scheme" and got rid of them after only 3 months because in her words "they printed too much and that's not right for someone in a tech company" She mentored a younger woman, as part of her own succession planning goal, but I've seen her holding her back by taking credit for her ideas and subtly undermining her with clever put downs and leaving her out of meeting and events on purpose. The office is close to a working class area and many locals are employed in the canteen, cleaners, reception etc and she makes subtle but snide comments about accents etc

Now I may have the concept of feminism all wrong, but I thought it promoted Women wearing what they feel comfortable in, celebrated female diversity in the workplace, building up the next generation of female leaders and leading by example. Not virtue signalling by giving an older woman a chance to rejoin the workforce to make yourself look good, only to toss her back on the scrap heap after deciding its too much work to bring them up to speed.

Is it possible she's blind to her own hypocrisy?
Where you work sounds very familiar …

In my experience, some of the worst behaviour towards women in the workplace comes from other women. There’s a lot of saying the right things that hides some pretty shocking behaviour, and being in the workplace for a few years has taught me that the sisterhood most definitely does not exist. There’s still that attitude of ‘I had to fight to get where I am and I’m not going to make it any easier for you’ that’s held by a lot of more senior women, and some definitely take that to a point that becomes bullying.

I also used to work in a place where there was the same snobbery towards people who lived locally. The top brass all commuted in and there was a total ‘town and gown’ split in terms of seniority. I once had a boss (female 🙄) who would openly say that she wouldn’t even interview people if they lived In particular postcodes.

• Sad
Reactions: 12
So many:

1. Starting an email with *name* no Hi, Hello, Good Morning. It smacks of self importance and is downright rude.

2. I'm an EA to a senior executive. When they are unavailable though other commitments and a person sends a last minute "urgent" meeting request and does not accept they are unavailable. Insists it can't wait until another date in the near future, as if I'm withholding said execs time. Yes, I'm their gate keeper but I can't double book and it's not THEIR priority. Usually a mid level manager who is vying for execs attention

3. Colleague who takes over a meeting, withering on for an excessive length of time, just to be seen. Again usual mid level person trying to prove how dedicated and engaged they are. Asking asinine questions when the meeting has run over with no regard for anyone else's time.

4. Disorganised colleague who asks you to send presentations and minutes multiple times. Ignores desdlines and requests last minute changes that will delay a meeting and then rocks up late, with no clue what's going on despite being given an agenda and supporting documents in advance.
point 1 makes me more angry than I’d ever like to admit every other person I get emails off either colleagues or clients start with hi, hello my ex manager who still insists on using manager in her job title even tho it’s not her job title anymore and she manages 0 staff starts with.

Name.

Blah blah blah usually aload of bullshit to make her feel important 🤣.

Her Name.

ifs so rude and unprofessional Iv raised it till i am blue in the face I just get told people read emails in a different way and have there own perception of things🙄. So the saga continues

Where you work sounds very familiar …

In my experience, some of the worst behaviour towards women in the workplace comes from other women. There’s a lot of saying the right things that hides some pretty shocking behaviour, and being in the workplace for a few years has taught me that the sisterhood most definitely does not exist. There’s still that attitude of ‘I had to fight to get where I am and I’m not going to make it any easier for you’ that’s held by a lot of more senior women, and some definitely take that to a point that becomes bullying.

I also used to work in a place where there was the same snobbery towards people who lived locally. The top brass all commuted in and there was a total ‘town and gown’ split in terms of seniority. I once had a boss (female 🙄) who would openly say that she wouldn’t even interview people if they lived In particular postcodes.
It's so sad but so true. The sisterhood, at least in business, is a complete fallacy. This colleague knows exactly what is expected of her to move her own career forward. She's savvy enough to brown nose the right execs and put on her "employee engagement" hat on Slack internally and LinkedIn externally.

She's only happy to elevate other females that pose no direct threat to her or that require nothing from her by way of mentorship. It sickens me that she's such a phony and that she wants to be lauded as a feminist. You don't get that title if you want to control what women rise up the ranks and try to influence that by jealously or social status.

Reactions: 4
Yep, have worked for many a monster female manager in my time ...

In one place I worked in the early '90s, they were very upfront about not even looking at the CVs of people who hadn't attended certain schools (as in high schools, not universities) ... why is that even relevant? So, someone could've gone to a rough high school, then been accepted into a prestigious university and scored high marks throughout ... but they wouldn't be considered. So silly. They were also very snooty about people coming from one side of the island. That's banking for you! Of course things are very different now.

People who ping you "we need to catch-up next week" but won't tell you what the catch-up is all about. I don't like mysteries / surprises.

Granted, if you have regular catch-ups, makes sense, but if you've never had one with this person, it's weird.

Reactions: 6
People who call you on teams the minute you come off another call - 2 people have just done it to me at once! Didn’t answer either 🤣 weirdos must have me tagged 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I overheard three colleagues discussing and laughing about my body shape today. I am quite pear shaped and they were discussing how I have a small head and fat arse. Feel like tit now to be honest!

I work in a school BTW and the bitchiness is something else.
Oooh ..this has really annoyed me. I saw your post saying that it's a temporary contract. Do make sure that you buy them a leaving gift each when you go. Something like this perhaps?
https://cuntgifts.com/collections/mugs/products/i-am-a-cunt-mug

When not in office my calls are auto directed to my laptop app. The other person in my office put my phone on Dnd the other day as it still rings in office as well as on app.
It must have been annoying her.
I sent a nice message to all staff saying this is something we all have to get used to and do not stick someones phone on DND without their permission.
I was wondering why I wasnt getting many calls.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.