Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Working in small groups on teams on a task and people are on mute with no camera… why should they contribute nothing when we’re all paid the same

Reactions: 4
When you ask someone a question and their response is: "It is in the manual - please look at page XYZ".

It's very rude and passive aggressive.

Reactions: 6
When you ask someone a question and their response is: "It is in the manual - please look at page XYZ".

It's very rude and passive aggressive.
LOL Ooops! I've done this before when people who have been there for 3 years ask me the same question for the 5th time in a month, and it's a regular task for them 🙈 My intention is not to patronise when i say it, I just like them to know where to find the answers, rather than rely on others :censored:

Reactions: 9
LOL Ooops! I've done this before when people who have been there for 3 years ask me the same question for the 5th time in a month, and it's a regular task for them 🙈 My intention is not to patronise when i say it, I just like them to know where to find the answers, rather than rely on others :censored:
Well, in my case, it was a payroll issue since my pay was reduced and the employee handbook wasn't clear. I'm not a payroll expert and it was my first time ever reaching out this individual. I get it if you get repeated questions from the same people, but it depends on the context.

Reactions: 2
Well, in my case, it was a payroll issue since my pay was reduced and the employee handbook wasn't clear. I'm not a payroll expert and it was my first time ever reaching out this individual. I get it if you get repeated questions from the same people, but it depends on the context.
oh yeah, 100%! in your case, their response was dickish.

People who make it a habit of scheduling meetings at lunch break!

We were told to come into the office on a specific day for a meeting taking place a lunch break. Seriously.
Yeah and they’ll try and justify it by saying “this is when most people are free”. Yeah because it’s lunch, you idiot!

Reactions: 6
When companies put too fine a point on grade where it becomes demotivating for individuals i.e

One company I worked at only paid maternity leave to manager level and above. I personally feel it should be for all employees or none. The message it sends is entry level or admin roles are not important enough to have their parental leave paid.

Another company would only let certain grades attend events or join committees. So short sighted. If you don't value opinions throughout the hierarchy or colleagues fresh from uni/college you're missing a huge opportunity for growth and change. I totally understand some meetings require more senior grades for knowledge share but I'm talking more generic company events that transcend niche departmental skills or knowledge

• Wow
Reactions: 9
I was trained by someone who became my manager a few later this ‘said manager’ did this piece of work daily for years! She trained me up …. Few years later I hear on the phone to a GP flat out denying we do this piece of work and to contact someone else for payment (I butted in polity) rather than let her finish the conversation and the situation get worse. She went mental again denying any Knowledge of us doing this work and I explained she done it day in day out for years, anyway it escalated as she was awful to me and I was only trying to help she spoke to me like utter tit… 2 weeks later we’re in a mediation type meeting with 2 other managers & her response was yes well I forgot and everyone makes mistakes but you should try and but in and make me look stupid ( she needed no help in doing that) & her manager is sat there agreeing with everything she said I felt so helpless and frew under the bus. Said 2 managers were in a meeting with me the day before saying the manager I had this spat with should never have been given a manger position but she’s in it now and they cannot take it away from her 🤣

Reactions: 1
When people take a piece of information and run away with it.

I was talking to a visiting stakeholder earlier and they asked me what are the challenges in the organization / role. I said to this person, the process in general, are quite complex / opaque and might need to be streamlined. Everybody has been complaining about this, not just me. I've been in the role for two years now, so I'm very comfortable with the procedures, but the procedures are complex from an objective standpoint. Then, this stakeholder said: "You know, our work is dependent on your work and if you don't understand your work, it means our work is flawed, so if you need training, you need to tell us". Then I stopped them and said I'm very comfortable with the processes, but they are complex because they there are various cases of overlaps and interpretation can be subjective at times.

WTF? This person knows I've been in the role for two years. You can be perfectly comfortable in a role and still think the processes are too cumbersome / complex etc. It doesn't mean you don't know how to do your job, it just means you have a critical mindset and can objectively assess what can be streamlined. Now, this person thinks I'm lacking and I don't know how to do my job. Some people. SMH.

• Heart
When you're just happily getting on with work minding your own business, and one of your colleagues feels the need to tell you "your sooo quiet over there! I forgot you're here" as though working while you're at work is bad 🙄 usually the one that does f**k all themselves all day but still feels superior to you

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Working in small groups on teams on a task and people are on mute with no camera… why should they contribute nothing when we’re all paid the same
I'm guilty of this, but not for the reasons you think. I'm generally 100% present and follow the conversation, but sometimes, I'm too uncomfortable with the topic at hand to try and jump into the conversation. I have a massive fear of public speaking in group settings over Zoom (don't ask, it's weird). I'm also not comfortable with the camera at all, so it's off most times. I may have very-well done the work, but I have a huge block with group work over Zoom especially if the people on the call are far more knowledgeable.

People who reply all to company wide emails.
Worse - people who send a farewell email to the whole company upon their departure! Like buddy, I don't even know you, I couldn't care less you're leaving!

I'm guilty of this, but not for the reasons you think. I'm generally 100% present and follow the conversation, but sometimes, I'm too uncomfortable with the topic at hand to try and jump into the conversation. I have a massive fear of public speaking in group settings over Zoom (don't ask, it's weird). I'm also not comfortable with the camera at all, so it's off most times. I may have very-well done the work, but I have a huge block with group work over Zoom especially if the people on the call are far more knowledgeable.
What’s your company’s stance on this? I’ve made it a hill I’ll die on at mine 🎯

What’s your company’s stance on this? I’ve made it a hill I’ll die on at mine 🎯
They try to encourage us, but most times, they don't care. Some people throw weird digs, but honestly, I won't be peer pressured into putting my camera on when I'm at home.

They try to encourage us, but most times, they don't care. Some people throw weird digs, but honestly, I won't be peer pressured into putting my camera on when I'm at home.
That’s kinda good. Blame culture is ramping up at my place so little things like this are honed in on 🥱 My boss actually witches about me behind my back about it. Yet he rarely replies to my emails unless it suits him, I know which is more “rude”.

Interesting to hear it from that perspective I haven’t really thought about it that way before. Although I’m sure my colleague wasn’t doing it for this reason 😆 our managers very rarely ask us to put the camera on and I’m not fussed either I just expect someone to at least type something to contribute in the chat or say at least something to agree with others when it’s only a tiny group which I’m sure you do!

If you’d said 2 years ago we’d all be using teams at home I’d have laughed and said no way I’m so glad we can it makes life so much easier 😃

It annoys me in training sessions when the trainer asks everyone to turn their cameras on, and put themselves on mute, so everyone is on an even playing field (fair enough) - only for one or two in the group to refuse to do one or the other (no issue in respect of the mute, as the trainer can usually do it from their end - it's still rude though).

We have someone on our team who has a crying baby and a lot of background noise, when taking customer calls, which customers have been complaining about. When I attended the interview for the job, I was told in no uncertain terms that applicants must have a dedicated, quiet, workspace - presumably everyone was told that, so it shouldn't be happening. Our Team Leader has asked whoever it is to come forward and admit it, and until they do then we're all on notice. It's very silly as I'm sure - when they do their call monitoring - they can hear who it is! Needless to say, any sense of comraderie has gone out the window.

• Sad
When not in office my calls are auto directed to my laptop app. The other person in my office put my phone on Dnd the other day as it still rings in office as well as on app.
It must have been annoying her.
I sent a nice message to all staff saying this is something we all have to get used to and do not stick someones phone on DND without their permission.
I was wondering why I wasnt getting many calls.
Why doesn’t she just turn the ringer down?

Team leader at the other site trying to butt in again. We have a fault that has happened with me twice and only me. I have been back and forth with the outside company that fixes it who tell us the problem lies within the depart and he was to send a report to our tech boss. Said tech boss is useless and never accepts when things are faulty. He has told the outside company to speak to the other sites team leader and to get the info from me. Team leader couldnt understand when I suggested she just give me the call as I know exactly what has happened. She would rather play chinese whipsers and go back and forth to ask me when he asks her a question so she can relay it to him. That is the NHS in a nutshell.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.