Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
And he has since sent it to a channel in Slack AND emailed to another group of colleagues. I am so irritated.

I might do what you said after lunch when I've calmed down a bit. :ROFLMAO:
Email him and just say ‘don’t ever send out my work again without acknowledging me.’

Reactions: 13
Email him and just say ‘don’t ever send out my work again without acknowledging me.’
This!! I’d rip into the little motherfucker! I’d also follow up to EVERYONE he sent it to, CC him and say just to follow up on this, should you have any queries please contact me as I’m the creator of these and would be happy to help in any way. And I’d put a watermark with your name (if you can) on every item you create going forwards too.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Definitely

Could you say something like, I hope you have received the templates that X emailed, if you have any questions or suggestions please feel free to ask as I only made them last week (or whenever) so am still able to edit them. You know whatever you can say to get I MADE THEM in there.

You're not being petty but I know how you feel as ive been there. He's a snake 🐍
I would do the same, make sure people know to come to you for feedback etc 😜

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I've worked with my team for years, I love them all and we (mostly) all rub along together in a very busy healthcare team.
I'm not sure how it happened, but even though I'm probably the oldest member of the team, I have somehow become their tech guru. We've had lots of new tech to deal with over the past couple of years, new software systems, new laptops/phones/tablets etc etc. But I get the most stupid requests for help, including someone asking how to stop their laptop "making annoying noises" (I turned the sound off), how to "log out of their email" (I just shut it down), and my absolute favourite, having to show everyone over zoom how to take a screenshot. 🙄
I'm not particularly tech-minded, but now, every time that someone has a tech problem, they're calling me. I can't deal with most of this stuff, I'm not important enough to have "administrator" privileges, and it's not my job anyway. I keep telling them, but they're just not listening.
Honestly, I feel like their mum sometimes!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
Thanks everyone! I don't know why I doubt myself when I have a reason to be mad.

We ended up on a Zoom call with most of the people he sent the materials to and someone said that it was great to recieve the materials and that they looked good. So before he could say anything I said thank you so much I'm pleased you like them, any edits you can contact me directly.

It felt good and am feeling better now but god the actual nerve of some people is insane.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Thanks everyone! I don't know why I doubt myself when I have a reason to be mad.

We ended up on a Zoom call with most of the people he sent the materials to and someone said that it was great to recieve the materials and that they looked good. So before he could say anything I said thank you so much I'm pleased you like them, any edits you can contact me directly.

It felt good and am feeling better now but god the actual nerve of some people is insane.
My manager does this often. She’ll share spreadsheets I’ve created. She’s not tech savvy so when people ask her questions she always comes to me quietly to find answers. Thankfully everyone knows I’m the creator but it’s amusing to see that there’s no acknowledgement.

Reactions: 6

Good for you!

5A3AF3C9-6016-4732-86D8-BE472C468DF3.gif

I’d be inclined to include who is going to present ideas, who’ll distribute etc. in the action plan for future work. Hopefully they’ve learnt their lesson, but just in case.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I've not read the whole thread but anyone have someone who likes to look over your shoulder a lot to see what you are doing (on the computer)?
This is someone who isn't even my manager and she attempts to do it discreetly but for me it looks hugely obvious! Once I pointed it out to the others I sit in a small office with they all noticed it too! She does it sometimes to other people but mostly me, no idea why other than I don't think she has a clue what she is doing.

• Wow
Reactions: 8
When work on a project with various milestones before reaching the final one and you ask people to provide you with an answer by a specific date (meaning a couple of weeks before the final milestone date) and they all come back saying: "The final milestone date is XYZ, why you are asking me for this now?".

I don't know, because when you run a project, there are a lot of preliminary milestones and reporting you need to achieve before getting to the final result. How on earth do you think this is done? Just because you as a third party to the project only see the final milestone, doesn't mean that whoever is leading the project operates solely on the basis of the final milestone. I'd don't have a magic wand. There is a lot of preliminary work involved. I'm asking you for something, there is a reason, not because I'm bored and sitting at my desk wondering who I can hit up with an annoying request. I've got better things to do.

Reactions: 3
New joiners - God love them, but when they start annoying you about a subject you're not 100% comfortable with and you're incredibly busy, then they get cranky if you don't provide a precise answer. I have this new joiner who always asks me questions about this one aspect of the job that I'm not comfortable with and my heart starts racing whenever he does. Then, he becomes quite short when I don't give him he exact answer he's looking for.

• Sad
I really personally love doing my job from home, but I'm getting increasingly fucked off with how my management have been using it as an excuse to delegate absolutely anything our way with no consequences since we aren't seeing each other in person, and to blatantly play favourites with the staff because they can do it over Skype and nobody can see them do it.

Just in one day today I had two different managers delegate me tasks that were physically not possible to do on our computer system (which they never bothered to check before telling me to do it), and then a third manager WHILE TALKING TO ME about a current issue, gave the task of sorting it out to their blatant favourite member of staff who wasn't even on that specific project today. It is extremely bleeping tiring to be halfway through some work and have someone else in the department rock up like "oh didn't you know? Manager X asked me to do this instead".

I and everyone on my team are giving our best to make sure we can continue to work from home and nobody can question our work ethic after Covid, but it feels like all our superiors are sitting on their holes watching Netflix all day and just forwarding the contents of their entire inboxes to us with a vague "can you sort this".

Reactions: 7
When did it become acceptable for colleagues to make contact outside of working hours. I don't care if it's by text or email. Restrict it to within the working day and don't be pinging me when I'm not working 🤬

Reactions: 13
When did it become acceptable for colleagues to make contact outside of working hours. I don't care if it's by text or email. Restrict it to within the working day and don't be pinging me when I'm not working 🤬
I had an email from someone (I don’t work with them but we were arranging a meeting) at 9.50pm on a Sunday. WTF

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 10
Just wondering you you all would feel about this situation before I raise it and potentially make myself look like a dick.

I've been with my organisation 18 months, I work for a technical training provider doing a basic admin role - course prep, bookings, issuing results etc. We use Linked In a lot for course advertising, and so when I joined I reactivated my Linked In profile so that I can share our adverts, comment on them - generally push their reach and engagement.
We are a small team of 4 people - 1 General Manager, 1 centre manager, one assistant manager and me (my job title is Administrator).
In the last week, we have pushed our courses for 2022 heavily on Linked In, and each time the centre manager has tagged herself and the 2 other staff members and not me.
Now I know I don't have the technical knowledge that they do, but I am handling every single booking, every single enquiry about dates, course content and cost. So why could I not be tagged?

Would you be irritated by this? I just feel like it screams "dont ask her, she doesn't know anything"

Reactions: 7
This. Luckily my place doesn’t do this but my husband’s does and he bloody replies and then it starts email/text rallies between and then before you know it you’ve done an extra hour of work :(. I keep having words about it but it keeps happening. Unless you are specifically rostered to be on call, or the building is on fire, it should wait until the next day.

This. Luckily my place doesn’t do this but my husband’s does and he bloody replies and then it starts email/text rallies between and then before you know it you’ve done an extra hour of work :(. I keep having words about it but it keeps happening. Unless you are specifically rostered to be on call, or the building is on fire, it should wait until the next day.
When I was teaching the headteacher would think nothing of phoning at 8pm to tell me something which could have waited. She was a witch too which didn't help!

Reactions: 6
I really personally love doing my job from home, but I'm getting increasingly fucked off with how my management have been using it as an excuse to delegate absolutely anything our way with no consequences since we aren't seeing each other in person, and to blatantly play favourites with the staff because they can do it over Skype and nobody can see them do it.
So I raised this gently with another more experienced colleague of mine in a way as to not sound like I was tit-talking anyone, and she immediately told me that it's been normal practice for years that management just pick their future-favourites and groom them for promotion. If you didn't get "groomed" with the extra responsibilities and training early, you can kiss goodbye to getting anywhere. Shocked! Not.

Thankfully I've no intention of going any higher in my current job but it must be devastating for people with ambitions to move up in the department who just know it'll never happen for them as this appears to be an open secret.

Reactions: 2
Managers.

My manager is really pushing the envelope. They came back from a 6 months extended parental leave at the beginning of September. Then, took a week off to go on vacation in the middle of September. Then, went on sick leave for a week early October, and now they're headed again on a week-long annual leave starting this evening.

Not even two months after their return and they've already used 3 weeks off which everyone else in the team could use too. They're taking this upcoming week off during the busiest time of the year with tons of new joiners, simultaneous large-scale projects, experienced team members having limited capacity and on top of this, they're now dodging their work on us to go on leave again. Yet, they had the audacity to send an email two days ago saying our new colleagues will need a great deal of efforts from us (more experienced staff) during the upcoming week to support them on their respective projects. We're all already drowning and in no position to take on more work and this manager expects us to help these new joiners all while they're off on holidays and we have to cover for them too. Please.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
Just wondering you you all would feel about this situation before I raise it and potentially make myself look like a dick.

I've been with my organisation 18 months, I work for a technical training provider doing a basic admin role - course prep, bookings, issuing results etc. We use Linked In a lot for course advertising, and so when I joined I reactivated my Linked In profile so that I can share our adverts, comment on them - generally push their reach and engagement.
We are a small team of 4 people - 1 General Manager, 1 centre manager, one assistant manager and me (my job title is Administrator).
In the last week, we have pushed our courses for 2022 heavily on Linked In, and each time the centre manager has tagged herself and the 2 other staff members and not me.
Now I know I don't have the technical knowledge that they do, but I am handling every single booking, every single enquiry about dates, course content and cost. So why could I not be tagged?

Would you be irritated by this? I just feel like it screams "dont ask her, she doesn't know anything"
I might be wrong, but it might be that the centre manager thinks you know about the posts already and hence she doesn't need to tag you?

Usually when I tag people at work (e.g. in emails, or our bug tracking system) it's because I want it to jump out at them because I want them to see it.

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.