Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
People like her don't realize that being friendly at work goes beyond the sole purpose of "making friends". Generally, if you're a friendly enough person and you're stuck with something / need guidance, people will have no issues helping you. If you're a rude person thinking you're better than everyone else, no one will be there to help you if you're stuck.
That's the thing. I wasn't looking to form a friendship with her. I was trying to be warm and engaging so she would see I was the approachable type.
I thought it was really arrogant of her to assume I was after a friendship 🤷 😄

Reactions: 7
When your manager can't answer a question and says they will ask their own manager. Then, they come back with an answer that has nothing to do with your question outlining a process your already know. OK, but this answer has nothing to do with my question at all. They asked the wrong question to their own manager.

That's not my question and on top of this, they make me look bad in front of their own manager by asking a question I already know the answer too. Again, that wasn't my question! Then you have to politely remind them you've already gone through the process, but that wasn't the question at all.

Reactions: 3
People who do not show up to calls.

My manager offered to set up a weekly call with another team member while I'm working on a complex project, just in case I have questions on procedures etc. I launched the call this morning and both of them stood me up! This is the second time in a row the manager ignored this call because they cannot log in like a normal employee at 9am or 9.30. They work EMEA hours. They log in at either 10 or 11am and ignore my call at 10, only to ping me at 12 asking if I need any help with anything. Well, you would know if you did bother showing up to the call. The other person also did not send any notification of them not being able to join and I had to send an email asking if they'll dial in.

Rude.
I've been a lurker on this thread for a while @TheGlossy are you ok? Your workplace sounds like an actual nightmare!

Just so I'm clear your manager arranged a meeting between themselves, a colleague and you and only you turned up!? That's out of order - I can't believe people actually progress in workplaces when this kind of tit goes on... I feel angry on your behalf haha!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I've been a lurker on this thread for a while @TheGlossy are you ok? Your workplace sounds like an actual nightmare!

Just so I'm clear your manager arranged a meeting between themselves, a colleague and you and only you turned up!? That's out of order - I can't believe people actually progress in workplaces when this kind of tit goes on... I feel angry on your behalf haha!
Thank you very much for your post cuttle90!

I have to say, I am absolutely drained to the point where during my time off whether annual leave or weekends, I'm unable to function. I just want to sit there and do absolutely nothing. I used to be a happy go lucky active individual, then I joined this company and I've been on auto-pilot dealing with their toxicity day in and day out. What I post on here is only a portion of what they do, because there are many many other instances, but I don't want to spam this thread. They've been wrecking my head on so many levels. It's a hell on earth, I can safely say.

Yes, the above is correct. The manager arranged a meeting between all three of us and I'm the only one who turned up. It's the highest level of disregard / disrespect. The worst part is when the manager ping me after the call, they never apologized for not showing up.

He actually did something similar the week prior. He pinged me to ask whether he could arrange a call between myself, himself and his manager to discuss a project they assigned me to. I agreed and assumed he would schedule the call and various logistics around it since he said he would do it. He went on sick leave afterwards and when he came back, he turned a corner and sent me a long email saying: "I suggest you schedule the call with my manager and I to discuss the project blah blah". Literally wrecking my head because he said he was going to do it, then switches the script overnight and wonders why I haven't done XYZ. I have zero problem scheduling the call, but then leave it to me to handle, don't tell me you're going to do it then decide not to out of the blue.

They contradict themselves on the daily and it's wrecking my head because I start to wonder if I'm the one going crazy. Luckily, I always document everything by email, so I always have evidence of what was said and when, but this is not bearable in the long run because it renders me paranoid and I cannot trust a thing they say because I know they will flip the script. It's very easy to lose both your sanity and confidence in your abilities to understand basic tasks in this environment because they just flip the script or act like they forgot basic items. No wonder their work is riddled with mistakes from top to bottom.

• Sad
  • Heart
When your manager can't answer a question and says they will ask their own manager. Then, they come back with an answer that has nothing to do with your question outlining a process your already know. OK, but this answer has nothing to do with my question at all. They asked the wrong question to their own manager.

That's not my question and on top of this, they make me look bad in front of their own manager by asking a question I already know the answer too. Again, that wasn't my question! Then you have to politely remind them you've already gone through the process, but that wasn't the question at all.
At least they come back to you. In my previous place if work my manager could not make a single decision. Everything had to be escalated. She would not bother to get back to me.

Reactions: 1
At least they come back to you. In my previous place if work my manager could not make a single decision. Everything had to be escalated. She would not bother to get back to me.
Yeah, but coming back with an answer that has nothing to do with the question is purposeless because it's still not solving the issue and creates even further delays with additional explaining & back and forth. It's not any different from someone not coming back to me because in both cases, the problem is not solved. It's bad in both cases regardless of the form it takes.

Reactions: 2
Thank you very much for your post cuttle90!

I have to say, I am absolutely drained to the point where during my time off whether annual leave or weekends, I'm unable to function. I just want to sit there and do absolutely nothing. I used to be a happy go lucky active individual, then I joined this company and I've been on auto-pilot dealing with their toxicity day in and day out. What I post on here is only a portion of what they do, because there are many many other instances, but I don't want to spam this thread. They've been wrecking my head on so many levels. It's a hell on earth, I can safely say.

Yes, the above is correct. The manager arranged a meeting between all three of us and I'm the only one who turned up. It's the highest level of disregard / disrespect. The worst part is when the manager ping me after the call, they never apologized for not showing up.

He actually did something similar the week prior. He pinged me to ask whether he could arrange a call between myself, himself and his manager to discuss a project they assigned me to. I agreed and assumed he would schedule the call and various logistics around it since he said he would do it. He went on sick leave afterwards and when he came back, he turned a corner and sent me a long email saying: "I suggest you schedule the call with my manager and I to discuss the project blah blah". Literally wrecking my head because he said he was going to do it, then switches the script overnight and wonders why I haven't done XYZ. I have zero problem scheduling the call, but then leave it to me to handle, don't tell me you're going to do it then decide not to out of the blue.

They contradict themselves on the daily and it's wrecking my head because I start to wonder if I'm the one going crazy. Luckily, I always document everything by email, so I always have evidence of what was said and when, but this is not bearable in the long run because it renders me paranoid and I cannot trust a thing they say because I know they will flip the script. It's very easy to lose both your sanity and confidence in your abilities to understand basic tasks in this environment because they just flip the script or act like they forgot basic items. No wonder their work is riddled with mistakes from top to bottom.
I'm so sorry work is making you feel like this, do you have an HR department or another manager that you can trust to elevate your concerns too? However, if the workplace is this toxic sometimes raising your head above the parapet can be the worst thing you can do. That doesn't mean you should continue to put up with this level of uncertainty. Unless public sector, then surely all businesses are in the business of making money and inefficiencies and inconsistencies to this level are costing the Company, bottom line, so they should care. Is it a disrespect thing generally across the culture of the Company or do you feel its personal?

It’s possible he asked the right question to his manager but his manager didn’t know the answer so gave a nonsensical answer as not to lose face. Managers don’t always have the answers but they’re deathly afraid of looking unqualified for their position. One time, I watched my father’s boss meet with him for 15 minutes to ask abt the best way to handle a work problem. Never in a million years would I have guessed that he was my dad’s superior… Sorry if I’m repeating someone else’s suggestion but maybe find a co-worker you trust and ask them.

Reactions: 1
management who think your job is so easy but low and behold when everyone is sick and covid hits they said they never wanna do this job again.
well, well well, look what we have here.

Reactions: 4
One time, I watched my father’s boss meet with him for 15 minutes to ask abt the best way to handle a work problem. Never in a million years would I have guessed that he was my dad’s superior…
Because he seemed not to know what he was talking about?

management who think your job is so easy but low and behold when everyone is sick and covid hits they said they never wanna do this job again.
well, well well, look what we have here.
This annoys the tit out of me. I recently left a company but all my old mates still work there, and we all were managers across different projects doing a similar kind of work. All of us got promoted up from the lowest min wage position, but this one guy has just totally forgotten what it was like. He expects the sun and stars from people who are paid the absolute bare minimum wage and refused a promotion to someone who had been there years, total product expert, beats all the targets because "he could be trying harder". For £8-odd quid an hour YOU didn't do that much work!

Some people need to bleeping remember what it was like when they were at the bottom and struggling to make ends meet and find the motivation and will to do the crap work for crap money.

Reactions: 14
This annoys the tit out of me. I recently left a company but all my old mates still work there, and we all were managers across different projects doing a similar kind of work. All of us got promoted up from the lowest min wage position, but this one guy has just totally forgotten what it was like. He expects the sun and stars from people who are paid the absolute bare minimum wage and refused a promotion to someone who had been there years, total product expert, beats all the targets because "he could be trying harder". For £8-odd quid an hour YOU didn't do that much work!

Some people need to bleeping remember what it was like when they were at the bottom and struggling to make ends meet and find the motivation and will to do the crap work for crap money.
ahh oh yes that was a scandal too getting below minimum wage until threatened with tribunal - can u believe that.
and then they expect us to work like donkeys

ahh oh yes that was a scandal too getting below minimum wage until threatened with tribunal - can u believe that.
and then they expect us to work like donkeys
I can believe that, the company I work for is the same. Our frontline staff work their arses off for crappy money. It sucks.

I can believe that, the company I work for is the same. Our frontline staff work their arses off for crappy money. It sucks.
I completely did and still do empathise with anyone who is being paid minimum wage who does the minimum expected and goes home for the day. If you pay people the minimum wage you can only expect the minimum work.

The people I work with are just the worst people I’ve ever come across. I’m a teacher and they are the laziest people I’ve ever met. I had to take a day off last week as my childminder called in sick, so my manager asked me to work and teach from home remotely. No problem, despite having my 2 year old trying to sit on my face and smother me in chocolate buttons the whole time, I managed! Only to come into work the next day, one of my colleagues had the luxury of having her mum childmind her little boy, however he was having a tantrum apparently and grandma couldn’t cope so she got to cancel the remainder of her lessons that day and go and have the rest of the day with her son!

There are people there as well who don’t pull their weight and get away with everything. One woman walked out of a class she was teaching and refused to carry on the lesson so I had to go in and cover, taking time out of my marking hours.

• Sad
Reactions: 10
Someone in my team always makes such a huge deal about how busy she is, acting as if she single handedly holds the organisation together. She's on the same level as me and last week started sending me stuff to help her with saying that she was so swamped. Then at the end of the week I saw her output and was like ?? ... what she had done would have taken me less than a day! While I was genuinely busy, yet didn't make a big deal about it as I do enjoy my work. Whyyy are people like this.

Reactions: 6
Someone in my team always makes such a huge deal about how busy she is, acting as if she single handedly holds the organisation together. She's on the same level as me and last week started sending me stuff to help her with saying that she was so swamped. Then at the end of the week I saw her output and was like ?? ... what she had done would have taken me less than a day! While I was genuinely busy, yet didn't make a big deal about it as I do enjoy my work. Whyyy are people like this.
I work with someone like this who is always "so busy" but she deliberately volunteers for more and more and more stuff and then dumps her day-to-day on everyone else. So to the management she looks like a superstar, when really we are doing all of her work! They have no idea that she isn't doing all of this work herself and that she's actually farming it out to the rest of her team while taking all the credit.

• Angry
  • Sad
I'm on annual leave today trying to get some jobs done that working full time never get done.

Had a message from one of my team (who only works 2 days) asking for tomorrow off as she is "swamped" and needs to have an appointment with some homeopathic person. Like seriously??? You work 2 days!

• Haha
It’s always annoying when someone spells your name wrong in an email but when the person emailing you has the SAME bleeping NAME AS YOU and still spells it wrong more than once ….. 🤦‍♀️

• Wow
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.