Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Boyfriend manages and is the main fryer at a fish and chip shop. The owners are on holiday, another one of the fryers was on holiday, and the other fryer was off sick for a week - meaning he’s had to work crazy hours.

The poorly fryer is back, and the one that was on leave was due back in this morning. Boyfriend wasn’t scheduled in until 4.30pm today, meaning we could actually spend some time together.
That was until said person on annual leave called in sick this morning with a hangover and can’t come in due to continuously throwing up. Not going to see my partner now until 9.30pm at the earliest.

If you know you’re due back to work, why go drinking on the last night of your annual leave?! Selfish.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 10
said person on annual leave called in sick this morning with a hangover and can’t come in due to continuously throwing up.
My dad used to end up bedridden for a day or two, only getting up to vomit, when I was a child. Luckily, he got his drinking under control in the end.

Boyfriend manages and is the main fryer at a fish and chip shop. The owners are on holiday, another one of the fryers was on holiday, and the other fryer was off sick for a week - meaning he’s had to work crazy hours.

The poorly fryer is back, and the one that was on leave was due back in this morning. Boyfriend wasn’t scheduled in until 4.30pm today, meaning we could actually spend some time together.
That was until said person on annual leave called in sick this morning with a hangover and can’t come in due to continuously throwing up. Not going to see my partner now until 9.30pm at the earliest.

If you know you’re due back to work, why go drinking on the last night of your annual leave?! Selfish.
Totally selfish and immature really, expecting someone else to pick up the pieces when it’s their own fault. Hangover is self inflicted and is not a valid reason for time off work. Hopefully this stupid person doesn’t get paid for the shift.

Reactions: 6
Totally selfish and immature really, expecting someone else to pick up the pieces when it’s their own fault. Hangover is self inflicted and is not a valid reason for time off work. Hopefully this stupid person doesn’t get paid for the shift.
They’re not getting paid and they now owe my partner a shift cover, so that’s something.
It’s been two weeks of chaos because everyone’s been off for one reason or another, he even had to work a 13 hour shift on his birthday because there were no other fryers.

His old job had a rule of you had to come in regardless of hangover or not - you chose to get drunk the night before work, so you suffer the consequences. Definitely think this rule should be enforced here 🤔

• Wow
Reactions: 4
Anyone have deadlines at work that seem to apply to them but anyone in a role senior to them doesn't need to abide by these deadlines?

Like there is a reason why your deadline is the 29th October it's because so then I have a week to complete the next stage of work due the 8th of November. If you complete yours on the 7th of November a week late then I have no time to do my work!

Absolutely selfish

Reactions: 10

Off topic but, does working in a chippy mean loads of free/cheap fish and chips.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Anyone have deadlines at work that seem to apply to them but anyone in a role senior to them doesn't need to abide by these deadlines?

Like there is a reason why your deadline is the 29th October it's because so then I have a week to complete the next stage of work due the 8th of November. If you complete yours on the 7th of November a week late then I have no time to do my work!

Absolutely selfish
Yes, my work is like this, I have to collect data, requests etc and then do something with it in order to pass it onto the end users by a certain date. The people i collect info from are always saying how busy they are and that they want an extension when we are already pushed for time. Happens too often.

Reactions: 3
Yes, my work is like this, I have to collect data, requests etc and then do something with it in order to pass it onto the end users by a certain date. The people i collect info from are always saying how busy they are and that they want an extension when we are already pushed for time. Happens too often.
Then you end up with an insane timeline of first early deadlines, second early deadlines, secret deadlines, deadlines for people you can trust, special super-early deadlines for very senior people, and then the actual latest date …

Reactions: 5
I've been at my new job now for 13 weeks my probation should of ended today but has been extended by 2 weeks which I don't mind I'm still get the hang of things but the things they wrote down for me to do is ridiculous I was off sick for a few days (I missed 2 shifts and had to get a covid test) and they used that against, saying I clock into early when I don't I clock in on time or a few mins early, they said Ive clocked in 30 mins early before when I haven't me I'm a chef in a pub there's 4 of us a kitchen manager, team manager and 2 chefs, one who is totally useless, no one has explained much to me in the way of things I have to do 10-4 on my own sometimes which it's not normally hectic but it's frustrating me so much when no one really listens or actually helps explain things its just chuck me in and it's grinds on me
On the list was clean more which I do and communicate with people which I do do more starters and grill which I do starters, I'm not really that confident using the grill yet I'm getting to the point where I just wanna quit but I can't as they be short of staff for christmas my mental health is struggling slowly but I'm trying not to show it

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
Its that time of year in the office. The heat wars.
My boss will come in and no matter the weather will open the window and freeze everyone else in here.
The heating is only on for an hour a day when I am in, but all day when other team are here. Currently have the portable heater going beside me as the cold air coming up the stairs is horrific.
Someone also likes to keep the ladies toilet window open in all weathers instead of just turning the rad in there down.
You need thermals just to sit at your desk in this place.

Reactions: 9
Receiving a lecture from the apprentice every time I print something that I am 'killing the planet' . Next thing she's showing me all the cheap clothes she's ordered from China 🤦‍♀️ 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 18
My boss will come in and no matter the weather will open the window and freeze everyone else in here.
The heating is only on for an hour a day when I am in, but all day when other team are here. Currently have the portable heater going beside me as the cold air coming up the stairs is horrific.
Someone also likes to keep the ladies toilet window open in all weathers instead of just turning the rad in there down.
Instead of splitting up offices based on department that people work in etc. they should have climate zones so people can sit in areas of the office where they are a comfortable temperature.

Then you end up with an insane timeline of first early deadlines, second early deadlines, secret deadlines, deadlines for people you can trust, special super-early deadlines for very senior people, and then the actual latest date …
It is so frustrating.

Reactions: 7
Omg yes. My old boss would wear a tshirt in winter, come in at 7, open the windows and we would get there half 8 to a freezing room 😭

Fresh air anti covid measure

Reactions: 3
Feel like we’re being bombarded with welfare checks and useless HR drives at work and there’s no lull. Being dragged off work for half-day meetings to discuss how we can be happier as a department or training on how to deal with customers 🤬 all it achieves is pissing off competent staff and giving shirkers an excuse to shirk.

Reactions: 8
Feel like we’re being bombarded with welfare checks and useless HR drives at work and there’s no lull. Being dragged off work for half-day meetings to discuss how we can be happier as a department or training on how to deal with customers 🤬 all it achieves is pissing off competent staff and giving shirkers an excuse to shirk.
Exactly. Often it's a tick box exercise for them to demonstrate compliance, often offered as a hollow thing but when you actually need help they treat you awfully.

Reactions: 6
Exactly. Often it's a tick box exercise for them to demonstrate compliance, often offered as a hollow thing but when you actually need help they treat you awfully.
True. We had loads of fluffy "we really care about the mental health of our employees at this difficult time" messages from senior management, but you can bet that when it came to challenging deadlines, we were still being pushed on achieving them, no matter how unrealistic. Mental health be damned at that point...

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.