Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Play dumb or just refuse to learn anything basic for the job as they “don’t do computers”. My job is computer based, more so in the last couple of years and it’s amazing how a couple of the older workers at the sister site refuse to learn how to actually work the basics. One tried to pass along a call to me when I was in the middle of doing a fire call as she wanted a number for a local taxi company. I told her I couldn’t remember any and to google it like I would for her town. She said she doesn’t know how to google….I told her to just type in “name of town and taxi number!! We get asked to search for random numbers daily, how are you not able to use google!?!? You literally type in what you want, even my nanna can use it. We have always had access to the internet(even when she started the job) for this very reason so what do you do with these calls asking for info? We have even all had the opportunity to do free courses if we need them. I just don’t get how some people decide they are past learning something new.
i don’t mind helping people usually(we have a new starter who is clueless about computers and I’ve been happily helping her loads as she wants to learn) but this woman is notoriously lazy and has pretty much left me to answer the majority of the calls tonight.
ETA I should also note said woman has a FB account and is very active on it yet can’t google something.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
Play dumb or just refuse to learn anything basic for the job as they “don’t do computers”. My job is computer based, more so in the last couple of years and it’s amazing how a couple of the older workers at the sister site refuse to learn how to actually work the basics. One tried to pass along a call to me when I was in the middle of doing a fire call as she wanted a number for a local taxi company. I told her I couldn’t remember any and to google it like I would for her town. She said she doesn’t know how to google….I told her to just type in “name of town and taxi number!! We get asked to search for random numbers daily, how are you not able to use google!?!? You literally type in what you want, even my nanna can use it. We have always had access to the internet(even when she started the job) for this very reason so what do you do with these calls asking for info? We have even all had the opportunity to do free courses if we need them. I just don’t get how some people decide they are past learning something new.
i don’t mind helping people usually(we have a new starter who is clueless about computers and I’ve been happily helping her loads as she wants to learn) but this woman is notoriously lazy and has pretty much left me to answer the majority of the calls tonight.
ETA I should also note said woman has a FB account and is very active on it yet can’t google something.
She's clearly the type who posts to the local Face book group "what time does tesco shut today?" Instead of googling it 🤣

There is a special place in hell reserved for people who do this

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Colleagues who talk random nonsense because they're pseudo know-it-alls.

I'm working on this project and asked a question to a colleague who said: "The current procedure is XYZ, so unless there's been a change to the procedure blah blah". However, something about his statement sounded off, especially I know for fact there's no written process document. I then asked: "OK, where can I find the current written procedure then?" because if I need to request additional paperwork to some more senior stakeholders, I need to have supporting evidence. No response from this colleague. Then, I had a call with the manager this morning who said: "I know you asked about the written procedure and where it is, but there is no procedure currently. It's simply practical knowledge from what was done on a project last year and we're looking to draft it at some point".

LOL. Smh. :ROFLMAO: OK, so this colleague kept going on and on about a so-called "current procedure" that doesn't even exist in the first place? What was done on a project with no guidelines/approval from anyone is hardly a procedure. A procedure is a drafted document with a process owner and has passed several layers of approvals. Otherwise, it's just hot air. And what makes us think what this person did on a previous project moons ago is even compliant if there's no procedure to compare with? Smh. I would expect at least an email with an approval if you're going to use the word "procedure" - that's the bare minimum lowest of the low.

These 5 years of law served me a purpose finally lol.

Reactions: 4
People that take their mood out on others. Not my fault you can’t manage your work load effectively and end up doing loads of extra hours. Yawn.

• Sad
The fact that junior resources always get blamed for failures / deficiencies triggered by more senior people.

Today, in a large group call, I was basically called out for not "following up" with more senior people on whether they performed their part of the job. The process normally goes like this:

1. I perform my side of the job & deliver it to the more senior person
2. The more senior person provides their input into the deliverable / reverts back in case of any questions and then uploads the full deliverable into the system themselves as they're in charge of the final conclusion.

With such process, explain to me why I would be chasing an MD or a Director to ask them whether they performed their part job when the onus of uploading the final deliverable is on them? There is a senior project lead overseeing the whole thing (my work + the more senior people's work). Why would I, as the most junior resource (we're talking 5 or 6 levels below), chase them if the final deliverable doesn't transit via me at all? I've done my part of the job, what they do or don't do isn't my problem. I've enough work on my plate without having to oversee other people's work.

Dystopian work culture. Hate it - absolute nightmare of a company / job.

• Sad
When managers pass off their tasks as they're "too busy" when I'm already doing more than is reflected in my job title and salary, and they're like "oh it's nothing big you just need to do x y z", ok so if it doesn't take long why don't you do it.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
When managers pass off their tasks as they're "too busy" when I'm already doing more than is reflected in my job title and salary, and they're like "oh it's nothing big you just need to do x y z", ok so if it doesn't take long why don't you do it.
I actually wonder what managers do exactly aside from approving holidays, holding meetings with their own managers and occasional team meetings, acting as a point of escalation, occasionally interviewing candidates, forward communications from senior people they don't even understand themselves and perhaps support process-related tasks. Even all of this doesn't take 8 hours a day. Plus, most times, they're useless if you have a question or need to escalate an issue.

Reactions: 8
Employers who make a big song and dance about people working from home!

Where I am, we're in level 3 lockdown, the rule for which is work from home if you can. And most people can (well, depending on their job). The issue is with employers who are so stuck in the dark ages that they think everyone is sitting at home watching TV instead of working, and do stupid things like decide those working from home will only get 80% of their salary. It really peeves me off - why can't these people get with the times?

I'm a freelancer, and one of my current clients is giving me more work - which is great for me - but in doing so, is punishing a lady from the company who normally works in the office, as she has to work from home. She would love more to do, and has even messaged me asking why I'm doing stuff - it's just ridiculous. I don't appreciate being put in this position and am thisclose to telling him to shove it. My client even said that this woman has shown her lack of loyalty by staying home - for goodness sake, it's a government order!

• Wow
Reactions: 7
OMG - Some people are awful.

I'm on a call - the senior project lead has asked normal questions in a polite way and some guy started yelling at him & arguing saying it's not his responsibility or his task blah blah. It's so uncomfortable. I hate this - first time I've ever seen this. Very unprofessional.

• Angry
Probably because they don't know how to do it 😏

• Haha
Reactions: 1
I'm glad that as a manager I only pass on the tasks that take ages but are tit to do 🤣

I actually wonder what managers do exactly aside from approving holidays, holding meetings with their own managers and occasional team meetings, acting as a point of escalation, occasionally interviewing candidates, forward communications from senior people they don't even understand themselves and perhaps support process-related tasks. Even all of this doesn't take 8 hours a day. Plus, most times, they're useless if you have a question or need to escalate an issue.
The more I work the more I realise even the managers don't know wtf they're doing, it's just people faking till their make it and hoping things will work out

People who don't check / read their emails.

You follow up on an action, they tell you it hasn't been done yet and start asking you to provide supporting emails they've already received on three different occasions:
1. when they were in cc' of the original approval email
2. attached when you asked them to perform whatever following above approval
3. attached again when you sent a first follow up email

You received the same email three times buddy. I'm not sending a 4th time - check your inbox. Secretarial work is not within my remit.

Reactions: 5
Condescending greetings from people you never speak to:

"Trust all is fine on your end".

That's condescending and rude. Better leave off any greeting than to write something this. You don't know if the person is fine.

My line manager is a prick , a lonely old man , no wife , no children so he tries to control everything at work , I do things how I do them , he doesn't like me because I'm not a * yes* person . He controls everything even down to which icons get opened and when. So when I have multiple icons open in random order he makes a holy bleeping show about it.
Hes a bleeping hole and thankfully I don't have to work with him for long on a daily basis

• Sad
The lad sat across from me in my office winds me up so much.

I had a cold so I brought in a box of tissues one day, then I was off for the day, came back and he'd stolen my tissues but took them home, I only know it was him as my mate saw him do it. What is the point??

I went on annual leave, came back and one day when I was off he had hotdesked on my computer and spilt food all over the desk and used the mouse with grease on his fingers and just left it like that, so I had to wipe his mouldy food away.

He never puts dirty plates in the dishwasher just leaves them on the side stinking until you have to do it for him because you're going to put the dishwasher on.

Today he has sat and slurped about 3 cup a soups up really loudly, then eaten a packet of Percy pigs with his mouth wide open slapping his lips. It is also freezing, I have forgotten my coat. He is sat with his on and he keeps turning the heating off even though I have told him I am freezing but he is wearing a jacket!?!?!

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 9
The lad sat across from me in my office winds me up so much.

I had a cold so I brought in a box of tissues one day, then I was off for the day, came back and he'd stolen my tissues but took them home, I only know it was him as my mate saw him do it. What is the point??

I went on annual leave, came back and one day when I was off he had hotdesked on my computer and spilt food all over the desk and used the mouse with grease on his fingers and just left it like that, so I had to wipe his mouldy food away.

He never puts dirty plates in the dishwasher just leaves them on the side stinking until you have to do it for him because you're going to put the dishwasher on.

Today he has sat and slurped about 3 cup a soups up really loudly, then eaten a packet of Percy pigs with his mouth wide open slapping his lips. It is also freezing, I have forgotten my coat. He is sat with his on and he keeps turning the heating off even though I have told him I am freezing but he is wearing a jacket!?!?!
Some people have no manners whatsoever. I one morning came into the office and found someone else's shoes on my desk! Yes, on the desk next to the keyboard! Then, said person claimed it was their desk when it wasn't and I had to involve my manager because we had assigned seats, no hot desking at the time. This, plus once the department head used my friend's glasses solutions to clean his glasses when she was away on annual leave. They weren't close like that. The rudeness and entitlement some people exert is out of this world. I feel for you!

• Wow
Reactions: 6
My boss will email me something like this -

"Hi, please can you add Jo Bloggs to our database, his telephone number is 01234567890 and his email address is [email protected]. Please add a note that I have spoken with him today about provision of 2 training courses"

Riiiiiigggght - so the only job you've saved is opening the web browser for the data base and clicking "create new client"

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Overeager managers - we just had an introductory call about a project. Then my manager pinged me half an hour later right at my finish time to tell him in case I have queries or uncertainties. This is an ad-hoc project on top of my day to day responsibilities - meaning, I had to resume to my urgent day to day activities after the call and will look into the project aspects in due course. I'm not going to jump straight into it after the call half an hour before I'm due to log-off. I need a fresh brain for this, so it can wait until tomorrow.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.