Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Overeager managers - we just had an introductory call about a project. Then my manager pinged me half an hour later right at my finish time to tell him in case I have queries or uncertainties. This is an ad-hoc project on top of my day to day responsibilities - meaning, I had to resume to my urgent day to day activities after the call and will look into the project aspects in due course. I'm not going to jump straight into it after the call half an hour before I'm due to log-off. I need a fresh brain for this, so it can wait until tomorrow.
My work is turning into the complete opposite of this at the moment. Twice in the last few months people from my team have gone to a supervisor or a manager for assistance with an urgent or serious task (we do a lot of ad hoc misc stuff a bit like a support desk so we don't always have all the answers), and they've got a reply that we need to learn to do our jobs, do some research, take some responsibility - what the duck are they there for as a supervisor if they tell people to piss off when they ask for advice or support with their work?

• Sad
Reactions: 9
My work is turning into the complete opposite of this at the moment. Twice in the last few months people from my team have gone to a supervisor or a manager for assistance with an urgent or serious task (we do a lot of ad hoc misc stuff a bit like a support desk so we don't always have all the answers), and they've got a reply that we need to learn to do our jobs, do some research, take some responsibility - what the duck are they there for as a supervisor if they tell people to piss off when they ask for advice or support with their work?
Yeah, that's bad. I had this exact experience with a manager in a previous job. I went up to her in person and she basically told me to take a hike lol. I later found out she was regarded by everyone as the most incompetent manager and the reason why she was declining to help people was because she didn't have a notion herself.

It might not be the case for you, but it's nonetheless unrealistic to expect your staff to know everything. No one knows everything, even the most senior people. Middle management people I find have an ego most times (no offense to anyone in middle management).

Hope it will get better for you & your team.

Reactions: 2
The worst are the people that steal your items from your desk and drawers. Someone tea leafed my last ameretto nespresso capsule. Work provide some but not the yummy flavours so I'll bring some of my faves in from home. It was actually in my desk drawer. Wtf why do people go in drawers.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 18
Stealing your milk from the fridge. Fook them, I'll have black coffee out of spite

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
Got a few situations bugging me right now.
We have quite a “flat” structure. So we all have really similar job titles that essentially mean nothing because comparing across departments is like apples and oranges. I work in a niche department, we are the money spinner and experts at what we do. But we seem to be getting an influx of “directors” who look down on the team members who have a lower rank despite them being perfectly qualified to hander things. Had a few projects now where my boss has had to tell teams “just do what my team say”

The we’ve got the directors who just love to throw people under the bus and take 0 accountability for their shortcomings and fill their time chasing people and having a million meetings about something that could be an email.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
The worst are the people that steal your items from your desk and drawers. Someone tea leafed my last ameretto nespresso capsule. Work provide some but not the yummy flavours so I'll bring some of my faves in from home. It was actually in my desk drawer. Wtf why do people go in drawers.
I once left a brand new bottle of perfume on my desk (it wasn't a tester, it was a full bottle). Went into work one day, it was gone. I certainly didn't take it home as I already had a spare one. Thieves are the worst, I swear. If you can't behave respectfully and be trustworthy at work, then I wonder about the type of person you actually are. It's scary people to think like this are walking around the office. Going into people's drawers is a huge breach of privacy - unacceptable is an understatement.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 20
The bloke accross the hall from me in work slams the door constantly to the point that I jump each time.

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
I used to work with a food thief. To the extremity that he would go through your bag in the back room to take food from you.

Never stole anything except for food and drink.

Used to report him to management, but because he was an assistant manager, nothing ever got done.

• Wow
Reactions: 14
One person keeps talking to me at lunch. She has such bad breath. I am sooo over being nice to the newbie when she breaths death on me every day. This is what I get for being kind to the new starter 😂🤮

• Sad
Reactions: 10
One person keeps talking to me at lunch. She has such bad breath. I am sooo over being nice to the newbie when she breaths death on me every day. This is what I get for being kind to the new starter 😂🤮
Death breath is the worst.

• Haha
Reactions: 2
I used to work with a food thief. To the extremity that he would go through your bag in the back room to take food from you.

Never stole anything except for food and drink.

Used to report him to management, but because he was an assistant manager, nothing ever got done.
Stealing is completely wrong but that would piss me off so much more than if they stole my purse. Why? Because I have food allergies so I bring my own food, if it was stolen and I had no time/money/anywhere nearby to buy replacement food I wouldn’t be able to eat until I got home. I used to work with a lady who managed her diabetes with diet and she meticulously planned her packed lunch down the the sugar content, and ate it at a set time. If someone stole that it would throw her levels off if she couldn’t replace it. What a bizzare thing to consistently steal!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
Can’t believe that adults steal each other’s food?!?

Out of interest… how many people share a fridge?

I’d rather keep my lunch at my desk and have warm sandwiches than risk someone stealing 🤨

Reactions: 8
Can’t believe that adults steal each other’s food?!?

Out of interest… how many people share a fridge?

I’d rather keep my lunch at my desk and have warm sandwiches than risk someone stealing 🤨
I use an insulated lunch bag, which stays near my chair. The shared fridge at work smells so bad

Reactions: 1
I think with COVID around now, I wouldn't be comfortable putting my food in the kitchen fridge with everyone touching it. God knows where those hands have been. The insulated bag is a good idea.

Reactions: 5
I’ve had my food stolen a few times so I’m one of those that keeps it at their desk now 🤣
I also have the rude colleagues who never say good morning but are your best mate when they want something.
My boss also loves to tell me we have meetings 5 minutes before they start. The amount of times I’ve gone in unprepared is shocking

Reactions: 3
That's low. Pop a mouse trap in there!

A woman at a place I worked at years ago would steal - and it was stealing as she never, ever offered to replace them - sanitary pads and Panadol from my top drawer. She wouldn't ask; she would just take. I caught her one day, and she didn't even blink when I asked her what she was doing.

The same woman would ask me to "pop up and get some coffees" for her meetings (we had a fancy kitchen with a barista onsite - coffee was discounted, but definitely not free) - she never, ever paid me back, despite my email and verbal reminders.

Reminds me of a former manager - "Don't bring me problems - bring me solutions!" she'd squeal every time we went to her about something.

• Wow
Reactions: 7
Reminds me of a former manager - "Don't bring me problems - bring me solutions!" she'd squeal every time we went to her about something.
My manager has never actually said that but it is very much implied. It has made me far more independent though as I generally fix things and then tell her afterwards, rather than going to her beforehand.

Reactions: 1
Used to work with a woman who had to have some of what you were eating or drinking but wouldnt ever give you anything back.
She was actually addicted to extra strong mints and would keep packets in her drawer and take one out at a time.
She would go to peoples desks and take chewing gum or mints, never one always 2 or 3.
We were given a tin or Roses one year at Christmas and most of us just opened them and left on communal table for anyone to take one. She would take handfuls at a time.
One team mate didnt take his home and it was still sitting there in January, I caught her opening it as taking the free bar of chocolate inside was ok as it was extra. I grabbed the tin out of her hands and covered it in about 10 layers of tape, to slow her down if she tried again.
One of the staff did Avon on the side and a woman on my team bought loads of bath stuff and it was under her desk, robby mcrobberson went through it to see if she liked any of it and was taking a few bottles until I stopped her.
She genuinely felt what was ours was fair game but hers was off limits.

• Wow
Reactions: 15
Used to work with a woman who had to have some of what you were eating or drinking but wouldnt ever give you anything back.
She was actually addicted to extra strong mints and would keep packets in her drawer and take one out at a time.
She would go to peoples desks and take chewing gum or mints, never one always 2 or 3.
We were given a tin or Roses one year at Christmas and most of us just opened them and left on communal table for anyone to take one. She would take handfuls at a time.
One team mate didnt take his home and it was still sitting there in January, I caught her opening it as taking the free bar of chocolate inside was ok as it was extra. I grabbed the tin out of her hands and covered it in about 10 layers of tape, to slow her down if she tried again.
One of the staff did Avon on the side and a woman on my team bought loads of bath stuff and it was under her desk, robby mcrobberson went through it to see if she liked any of it and was taking a few bottles until I stopped her.
She genuinely felt what was ours was fair game but hers was off limits.
Jesus! The audacity!

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.