Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Sunshine&clouds

VIP Member
It's just so sad. It feels similar to Kurt Cobain (who I loved). So much talent yet so much personal pain. Both were like runaway trains. We desperately wanted everything to be ok, whilst knowing it wasn't going to have a fairytale ending.

• Heart
Reactions: 9

Shawads

VIP Member
Just had another look through and seen that the sale of the infamous blood-stained ballet pumps - and several other pairs - were "from the collection of Catriona Gourlay". Classy. But yeah, I'm sure Amy gave those to her as a nice little gift.

Naomi Parry also sold some tattered ballet pumps, an old MAC lipstick, and a dried out Rimmel eyeliner - "from the collection of Naomi Parry". No doubt there's plenty more but that confirms a few of the 156 items.

These people disgust me, possibly even more than Mitch. "Close friends" my arse.

Jesus h. My heart stopped looking at those listings. How macabre and distasteful, I can’t believe they were kept, let alone people paying thousands for them. They are tragic items and look exactly how her lifestyle seemed when she was at rock bottom.
I will watch the film when it comes on the telly. I love bob marley but still haven’t watched the film.
I would rather have the reality of their lives any day. The sanitised versions are pointless.
And I don’t like that creepy sam woman, I didn’t realise she’s the director until reading here

Rockin' Robin

VIP Member
I like many others followed her story, hoping she could defy the odds of joining the "27 club." I really wanted to buy Back to black, but not while she was alive, I didn't want to line the pockets of the suppliers - if you know what I mean.
Enough time has passed now, and I can remember her as the hugely talented young woman that she was.

Mags44

She was a phenomenal sing songwriter. Love is a losing Game inspired Prince. It's just she had a bit of a cavalier attitude and an ambivalence about performing I felt.

I think she thought her talent superseded her ambition. It can only be speculation but I wonder how she would have evolved.

Stillwater

VIP Member
I usually take Eddie Marsan’s presence in things as an endorsement of quality but this looks bad.

Foxvint

VIP Member
With Janis there's obvious massive gaps in her knowledge/understanding of Amy. Does your mum know what you were up 18-25? Mine certainly doesn't.

FrostyChops

VIP Member
I thought that Amy was having an affair with Blake but he dropped her then she wrote back to black. Then of course he came crawling back.

It is still so sad.

I'm not convinced by her dad either to be honest. I get that they couldn't stop her. But his absence did have an effect on her, she said she pushed boundaries knowing there wouldn't be any consequences. And her friends were the ones that said Mitchell pushed her to work when she should have been in rehabilitation.

shellie

VIP Member
What do we think of Bryan Adams saying Amy had swallowed £2000 worth of heroin wraps when she came over to stay in his place in Mustique 😲 😲 I thought the official line about her being there was that she was pissed but clean
It might be true, but the fact that he is coming out with it now screams that he wants attention and shows him for who he is. I mean he claims he was a friend and then blabs to the media about her.

The fact that in the same interview, he continues to deny that he had a fling with Diana and they were only friends, even though his girlfriend whom he was with at the time, and Paul Burrell who used to help smuggle him in, confirmed it did happen speaks volumes.

Reactions: 8

Tank Girl

VIP Member
It’s vile. I’m re watching When Amy Came to Dingle as we speak. She’s so full of life. Fuck these vultures.

• Heart
  • Sad

Tweacle

You aren't.

Amy couldn't really get any traction with her first album. I liked a fair bit of it - You Sent Me Flying is probably the standout.

But I found even then listening to more than ten minutes of her voice a bit hard going. It was very mannered and derivative of Billie Holiday, let's face it.

As I've said elsewhere on this thread, she never had a good reputation for being a dependable performer, or even getting to the gig. Her management in the Frank era did well to cover this up. Her later management did the right thing in seeing this as a strength - well, the right thing if you're OK with exploiting someone who had stage fright and was essentially damaged goods. And, as we all know, a person who's damaged does translate to a hell of a lot of press coverage.

It's a very sad ending to her life but, alas, it was predictable.
That’s the saddest thing for me. She really was getting well again. Years before, yes for us it was predictable, but not at the time she went.

Peterboroughmum

Love the statue of
Amy is one of the only celebrity deaths that I've actually cried over, loved her music and style and she was so funny and witty. The way she died was so sad. I love Camden and always think of her when I visit.
Love the statue of her in the market- just perfect.

Tank Girl

VIP Member
Sounds to me like they ve romanticised the relationship and maybe also the addiction side of things. When we know the truth it’s hard to watch something that glosses over the harsh realities.

dollyac

Ok, I saw it, it was awful. I was SO disappointed (and overheard many other cinema go-ers agree).

I think her story is too complicated to be made into a 2 hour film. The pacing was awful. The script not any better. The last scene was a complete and utter insult to her legacy.

That said - I did enjoy the first half hour or so, and I thought the actress who portrayed her was PHENOMENAL. Plus, obviously the music is everything - especially with cinema sound.

But I was so sad at just how poor it was.

• Sad

Tatooine_legend1

VIP Member
I know this is an Amy Winehouse thread, but seeing as she was young when she died. I wanted to also mention Aaliyah too. She was very young when she died in a plane crash and was watching some of her songs recently. Two very gifted artists who died too young. RIP 😔

• Heart
She never shut up 😂 she quite often burst into song. She loved company too, especially those who didn’t give a fig who she was. Honestly she would disappear rather than buy a round. She was good fun, but she had a serious side too. Most people think of her as a loud mixed up girl. And she could be. But she was also really kind, she loved hearing other people’s good news too.
I cannot believe she wouldn't want to buy a round 😂😂 She was so rich, this is really funny!

Did you have the sense that she was lonely or sad?

What was her serious side like, did she talk about something specific?

Were you and your friends shocked when she died? I remember I was and then I felt stupid for being surprised, given how she spiralled out of control