Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

IllBredHen

Just had another look through and seen that the sale of the infamous blood-stained ballet pumps - and several other pairs - were "from the collection of Catriona Gourlay". Classy. But yeah, I'm sure Amy gave those to her as a nice little gift.

Naomi Parry also sold some tattered ballet pumps, an old MAC lipstick, and a dried out Rimmel eyeliner - "from the collection of Naomi Parry". No doubt there's plenty more but that confirms a few of the 156 items.

These people disgust me, possibly even more than Mitch. "Close friends" my arse.

Just had a mooch on there and there's also her bras, cards and letters she wrote to Blake that I'm pretty sure she would prefer to stay private and a locket described as "one of her most prized possessions".

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 11

clueless

Chatty Member
Amy was one of us and that was what made her truly exceptional. He talent was surpassed by none and Janis knew this and just was proud. I knew her and was in the same ‘local’ crowd (I have zero talent) but we grew up together and she was always special. Never commented before as it’s not a rave thread and I only have positive things to say (apart from that absolute cunt Blake).
I don’t know how I missed your post but just wanted to say I intended this to be a rave thread and if you have any stories you’d like to share, I (and I’m sure everyone else) would love to hear them 💗

Stillwater

VIP Member
I’m not sure that was to do with being overrated though? More in the depths of a wretched addiction and being hideously exploited. Her talent was eaten up.

Venuslurker

Chatty Member
Despite her talent she clearly had severe self esteem issues her whole life, which unfortunately made her more prone to addiction and easy prey for people like Blake, and ultimately her dad in a different way too, sadly.

• Sad

soph30

VIP Member
I havent been in years now, but I figured it probably was. It started when they began building the glass permanent "stalls" for vendors-which while a good idea, kind of changed the whole feel. is there anywhere good left now? Camden was the last holdout of the "old days"
Masses of chains like Pret now and all the food stalls are double the price and in glass boxes :( and nothing unique to buy, just tourist tat. A lot of the music places I think have shut down

• Sad

FrostyChops

VIP Member
I am looking forward to this. I think we might get more insight into the Amy that wasn't dominated by drugs.

But l also wonder if she should be left in peace. It's been 10 years since her passing.

Foxvint

VIP Member
I'm gonna watch the new film and make up my own mind. I think with the really devout Amy fans like the ones who run Insta fan accounts etc, they act like they own the Amy experience. I've seen so many rants about how true fans wouldn't watch the film an I think that's a lot of self righteous bollox. I've read all the books by everyone from her ma to her mate, I'll watch any film/docu aswell.

I think with Mitch aswell these accounts need to lay off the finger pointing and blame game especially now so much time has passed. He lost a daughter, they just lost a fave artist. I think it's telling that Amy's mum doesn't at all beef about/with him or apportion blame. OK so these intense Amy accounts hate him- but she certainly didn't. They need to give their heads a wobble. Everyone's wiser after the fact and Mitch has publicly stated he'd have done many things differently if he'd have had his time over again. Amy was a complicated, headstrong addict and even her nearest and dearest had to distance themselves at times.
---
Her friend Tyler James has a new book about her out soon,called 'My Amy'. It will be interesting to read his take on the situation because they were friends for a long time.
Would recommend. He didn't answer her last call late the night b4 she was found dead god love him. Hope he doesn't torment himself over that. When she was pissed she'd phone everyone all night, he'd already left the house in Camden cos she was on a bender and gone to stay elsewhere. She could be an absolute nightmare by the sounds of it. She out and out attacked him sometimes too. Can 100% understand anyone pulling away from the circus. How long could her friends have had all that in their lives heading towards 30, maybe thinking of having kids etc?

Last edited:

Sideboard Bob

VIP Member
Loved her - loved the music and how funny and sweet she was. Never saw her live and I'm kinda glad I didn't.

RIP Amy
I had tickets to one of her shows around 2007/8 but couldn’t make it, and I’ve always regretted it. But you’ve made me realise now that maybe it was for the best, it sounds like sometimes she could really pull it out of the bag for gigs, but other times she was clearly unwell, it would have been sad to see. Ugh that poor woman, the tabloids were all over like vultures her at that time.

• Heart

Sideboard Bob

VIP Member
Remember her famous ballet pumps? She would buy 20 at a time! A blogger in this video visits the shop where she’d get them from, it’s at about 10 minutes in. It‘s kind of heartbreaking, the shop still had her last order of shoes kept aside 😥

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
I remember watching that film./documentary about her and was so upset for a long time after.
Her friends describing hiding her passport and begging her father to help her, and her father forcing her to work. He came across terribly in that and I was shocked and really affected by it at the time.

• Sad

clueless

Chatty Member
Thanks for sharing your memories, @Tweacle - I'm so envious you got to spend time with her!

There’ll be a new documentary about Amy from the BBC soon, with her mum involved.
What‘s everyone’s thoughts? I think it will be lovely to hear more from her mum‘s perspective.

“The BBC said her story would be told in the new documentary "primarily through her mum", whose version of events "often differs from the narrative we have been told before".
Janis will be joined by family and friends, and the film will offer "a new female-driven interpretation of her life, her loves and her legacy", the announcement said.”

I agree, it will be great to hear more from her mum's perspective for a change, we never really hear from her, unlike Mitch!

Janis seems like a lovely woman and she acknowledges that she made mistakes as a mum with not being strict enough, not taking Amy's bulimia admission seriously etc... she just seemed to be far too soft with her and she admits to this, unlike Mitch who accepts no responsibility for anything, and tries to make himself out to be the World's Best Dad.

Ingognito.Queen

VIP Member
From what I've read, they seem to sugarcoat Blake which has pissed off Amy's friends.
Sounds like it is not an accurate portrayal at all.

'The convicted thug is understood to have first encouraged her to try smoking crack but this is not depicted in the film as Fielder-Civil is portrayed as an impish and cheeky north London ‘indie boy.’

One friend told the Mail: ‘It’s more like they’re a loved up Disney Princess and her Prince – Blake comes across as a charming and loveable rogue, rather than a thoroughly broken drug addict who dragged Amy into the depths of depravity.'

• Sad

Topaz

Chatty Member

The Civils sound like a complete nightmare. They attacked a football coach with car keys after he told off their son 🤯 I remember at the height of Amy and Blake his mum Georgette was always gabbing in the papers, much like Mitch. I did read their youngest son died recently of a heroin overdose 🙁 so Blake's issues aren't a fluke in his family.

• Wow

Warpaint

VIP Member
Amy's life is well documented and there's tons of footage of her. These biopics are just mindless cash grabs. Definitely the worst film genre out there, they're all rubbish.

Tweacle

A lot of people said this about her but also about other troubled talented artists that passed away at a fairly young age: they just wanted to be loved.

Maybe the need to be loved drives people to reach fame.
I also know some very normal and humble people with very loving parents and happy childhoods that seemed very fulfilled.
Essentially it seems that we are all looking for the same thing.
I think she would have been happy with a few children and a nice man. Blake was never any good for her. Two mixed up damaged people together. She did love him though.

FrostyChops

VIP Member
Her parents did step in. They sent her to rehab (though Blake went with her, which rather defeated the object), they had a nurse check in on her every day; I believe they also played a part in making her divorce Blake. They weren't idly standing around, in other words.
Didn't they send her to Jamaica but Blake couldn't go and she had an affair whilst there?

I remember someone saying her 'promiscuity ' (🙄) was akin to a sexual abuse victim

I think it was her neediness that drove her into new relationships / physical relations. She just wanted to feel loved.