Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Dollylovesshoes

VIP Member
Re the leech - didnt he say he never sued for alimony when they divorced as he didnt want Amy to think he was after her money ?
I seem to remember Blake and his mother I think on JK program,His mother..well.he didn’t seem to come across all that good and his mother.

Reactions: 1

FrostyChops

VIP Member
Her friend Tyler James has a new book about her out soon,called 'My Amy'. It will be interesting to read his take on the situation because they were friends for a long time.
Wow he just can't stop trying to cash in on her name can he?! Remember when he was on S1 of The Voice?

Foxvint

VIP Member
OK so I personally found the film excellent. Moving. Not gratuitous. Her singing good enough. Her mannerisms definitely so. Long live Amy in culture whether we approve of every little element or no.

Warpaint

VIP Member
Wasn't sure on the documentary. Felt like a kind of Disney version of her life. It was one of those that wasn't really needed.

Sideboard Bob

VIP Member
@clueless Its really interesting to hear your perspective as a meg-fan, and to see what other fans are like. I agree. You just don’t do that. It’s too personal.

I saw this book mentioned on Twitter by whoever is behind the official Amy Winehouse account, and even hardcore fans were saying things along the lines of, “no, this is too much“.

It’s called “in her own words”, but I feel like it’s more, “her own private things” and should be left alone.

*typo, I meant “mega-fan”

I remember watching that film./documentary about her and was so upset for a long time after.
Her friends describing hiding her passport and begging her father to help her, and her father forcing her to work. He came across terribly in that and I was shocked and really affected by it at the time.
What?? What documentary was that?

Wow! Today's Sunday Mirror:

I would have thought that they would sell for a lot more.

It is macabre, but it is a piece of music history and almost a symbol of Amy's struggle.

Unless there weren't that many bids as most people considered the auction to be in poor taste and would only buy items that were formally auctioned and/or the items were believed to be fake.

Warpaint

VIP Member
I see the statue of Amy Winehouse in Camden has had a Palestinian flag placed over her Star of David necklace, I can't link the article it's on the BBC website.
I'm not going to get into a discussion about the politics of that region as its way to complicated and most people really don't know as much as they think they do but that is a provocative act and unnecessary.
Was it removed or has it just stayed there?

Jane Tee

VIP Member
I always despised Blake. But after reading Amy's bestfriend's book I actually felt for him a bit. He had a really bad childhood and I think he was self medicating with drugs. Amy seemed like she wanted to embody Blake and take on his whole personilty and behaviour. He definitely was a leech though. By the time she died she was well rid, but I don't think there was any animosity there between them at the end.
Re the leech - didnt he say he never sued for alimony when they divorced as he didnt want Amy to think he was after her money ?

GeminiMoon

Chatty Member
I was re-watching the film ‘Amy’ about her the other night. It mentioned that Rehab was written about an attempt to get her into rehab pre-Blake and pre-drugs to deal with her alcoholism. It was alcohol that liked her, she hadn’t taken drugs in a long time, and also the bulimia pre-dated him too.

Plus it’s easy for the press to point fingers at him when I remember how dreadfully the press hounded Amy, which definitely added to her problems, distracts from their role.

I think the thing with Blake is that a lot of people don’t realise he and his brother went through a lot and had a fucked up childhood. So if you’re pointing fingers of blame, someone fucked him up too.

I dunno. He did his rehab in the city I live in and I used to see him around a lot in the period around Amy’s death. He was a bit of a sad, pitiful and lonely character with a boatload of issues, not the demon he’s sometimes made out to be.
What was Blake’s childhood like?

Bexybest

I've just watched the new documentary followed by Amy for the second or third time. She really was a legend. She was somebody you just wish you could shake and protect.

Blake is apparently now engaged to his new girlfriend of 6 months too.

cat_follower

I loved Amy she was a star in the true sense of the word.
I do wonder how she would have fared in this crazy world today. Since she died anyone who is influenced by black music and her voice was Billie Holiday/Sarah Vaughan like in style and being white, would she have been accused of apporiating those artists, she was Jewish which is problematic amongst media types now and her song Stronger Than Me she sings about ladyboys so she would probably not be able to sing that because of transphobia. Oh boy how the world has slid of the rails in such a short time.
I'd like to think in true Amy style she'd stick her tongue out at them all and be unapologetic.
I think it’s clearly a good thing that we’ve become less tolerant of transphobia though! Not sure how being Jewish is problematic now either?