Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Peterboroughmum

I wonder about her relationship with Mark Ronson. He obviously cared about her, made a record with her that is a future classic and seemed to bring out the best in her talent and writing. The record also made his career as well I think. As a friend I don’t think he had much influence over her especially with the drugs and alcohol and husband choices but it must be hard for him to think of how the third album could have been. When she sang with Tony Bennett she seemed so happy in the film. I remember watching it and being so sad for her friends and so cross with her dad. Her father and husband manipulated and abused her.

After writing Rehab she should have been put in rehab. The tortured artist trope should be dispensed with, Adele writes soulful songs and is perfectly happy with her life.
Adele seems to have had her troubles though: bad relationship with her dad, divorce...I wonder if she's got a better supper system?

I remember reading that Amy's mum has MS and was unwell, I don't know what their relationship was like.

Reactions: 5

Warpaint

VIP Member
I think people have a bit of rose tinted glasses with Amy Winehouse though. She was tabloid fodder akin to Pete Doherty in the years before she died. Then as always, when they do die the press change their mind and makes them into a saint. She had 5 years in the wilderness after Back To Black

VIP Member
Has anybody else got any amy dedicated tattoos? I have the bird and ‘never clip my wings’ like her on the inside of my arm where your arm bends. That was tough to heal 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ If I’m honest though I’d have all the tatts she has but that would be weird as they are personal to her but they are so completely my style I absolutely love them

PeteM

VIP Member
She was very much proud of being Jewish.

The "ladyboy" line is just tacky and a rare lyrical misstep for her, but clearly jocular in intent. Indeed, much of her success was down to the direct relatable realness of her lyrics - instead of saying in a roundabout way "I'm pissed off with you", she'd simply come out with that.

As for her possibly being accused of appropriating black music if she was a new artist - most of the prominent "soul"/pop singers of the last decade or so are white. The "they're white but sound black" thing has gone on for some time now and is complete and utter PR bullshit, usually without any merit or basis in reality. Vocally, she was a bit too affected for me and certainly more Billie Holiday than Sarah Vaughan (Sarah had a very rich tone which was miles apart from Amy's). However, there's no denying that she had much more than a superficial interest in black soul & jazz singers, and she was very vocal and sincere about the influence of people such as Donny Hathaway.
---
Oh definitely but that's enough in this current world to send them rabid.
Come on, she's hardly Ricky Gervais or Dave Chappelle who seem quite obsessed with transphobia in their stand up routines.

Last edited:

Flowerpotgirl

VIP Member
I've just watched the new documentary followed by Amy for the second or third time. She really was a legend. She was somebody you just wish you could shake and protect.

Blake is apparently now engaged to his new girlfriend of 6 months too.
No offense to her, but he would take anyone who would put up with his shit, now. He has few teeth and is a scruffy so and so. There was a lovely pic of him walking along drinking a Stella in a can the other day. He will always be a class act.

FrostyChops

VIP Member
I completely agree l also thought there's no one to refute this new information. No one needs to know ten years later, it doesn't add anything to the story.

It didn't add anything. It was obvious she had mental health issues, that she was unsecure..you could see she was displaying addictive destructive behaviour, struggling with the attention and had an eating disorder.

dollyac

Seeing it on Friday but I’m not expecting good things - the fact they completely disregarded Tyler blows my mind a little bit!

She really was a talented girl. I always felt she wouldn’t have a long life, I don’t know why it was as just a feeling I had. She was so very kind and a lot of people didn’t realise that. She seemed to me that she just wanted to be liked and loved.
A lot of people said this about her but also about other troubled talented artists that passed away at a fairly young age: they just wanted to be loved.

Maybe the need to be loved drives people to reach fame.
I also know some very normal and humble people with very loving parents and happy childhoods that seemed very fulfilled.
Essentially it seems that we are all looking for the same thing.

PeteM

VIP Member
I still recall seeing Amy’s father on the news the day she died , selling her vests to fans outside and bragging about it on sky news!!
Fuck me. If he really did do that, it's safe to say that all of that money stayed in his own pocket, which makes this move of his somewhat hypocritical...

Is it not getting a right pounding?
Yeah, it’s currently at 50% on Rotton Tomatoes (which is another 3% down since I last looked about an hour ago lol).

LennyBriscoe

VIP Member
Am I the only one who thought she was overrated, she had a good voice but I couldn't take to her songs with the exception of F*** Me Pumps and Rehab.
She was a bit lost on me too be honest, I never really got the hype about her. I can recognise a good singer/songwriter but at the same time be a bit “meh” about them. I quite like Tears Dry on Their Own

Harlot O'Scara

VIP Member
Shocked as fuck with what I’ve read about the film 🤢 unbelievable.

But! I’ve been enjoying the BBC 4 schedule tonight dedicated to Amy. I love and miss her so much!

The only blemish in the evening is they’ve just showed a doc about her life in ten pictures, and it had her “friends” Naomi and Catriona on it, and they really get on my wick. The things they say and how they talk of Amy are things that you and I could easily say, nothing that could make you believe they were real friends. They weren’t in the Asif Kapadia documentary film, the film that had her actual real friends Juliette, Lauren, Nick, Tyler. The only other time they popped up was in that Winehouse family made documentary. Says a lot, really
I think, sadly, that a lot of people in Amy's circle were just hangers on trying to get close to a bit of fame and a bit of glamour.

How many of them are basically Professional Friends of Amy Winehouse now?

Does anyone have the tea on all her clothes currently being sold on ebay? That's presumably one of her 'friends' doing. I assume I can't post ebay links but for example there's a pair of her ballet pumps for 7.5K. Not being sold for charity either.
I think it's Naomi and Caitriona who are selling it. There's ongoing legal action with Mitch.

• Wow
  • Angry

MrAllSeeingEye

VIP Member
What a waste of talent 🥺 I didn’t know what about her Dad selling Amy’s vests the day she had died. Doesn’t surprise me one bit though.

In terms of music, I always preferred her Frank era stuff, before she became huge. I like the Back to Black album, but the songs were SO overplayed and it’s a shame her older stuff isn’t as well remembered.

Sideboard Bob

VIP Member
I’m thinking of her family and friends today. It’s hard enough as a fan missing her, I can’t even imagine how they must be feeling.