Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Shawads

VIP Member
I recently had a London cabbie who was very much like Mitch. He spent the whole journey bragging about his daughter’s career, stardom, followers etc and then later on brought in another daughter to the conversation. It seems like he and his wife spend their whole lives chasing the limelight for their kids and the conversation with him was completely one sided, he didn’t want my input at all. Really reminded me of Amy’s dad

Reactions: 6

Sideboard Bob

VIP Member
I found the documentary heartbreaking. I really felt Amy’s grief for her nan Cynthia, and her friends and family’s grief for Amy. I don’t think it was exploitative, the love and pain was all too real and everyone deals with that in their own way.

Foxvint

VIP Member
That toe rag Blake is doing alright out of all this on the daytime telly couch circuit. Be a ghost written tell -all book out of him next.

• Angry
  • Sick

Mags44

I think people have a bit of rose tinted glasses with Amy Winehouse though. She was tabloid fodder akin to Pete Doherty in the years before she died. Then as always, when they do die the press change their mind and makes them into a saint. She had 5 years in the wilderness after Back To Black
Yes. People forget her concerts were shocking towards the end. She could barely stand up and seemed bewildered and vacant whilst on stage. I saw her in concert and it was painful for a variety of reasons. I also feel the persona she had, I know she was this great torch singer but I felt it was retro in the worst way.

soph30

VIP Member
Marginally OT but Camden is such a sanitised state now, it's so sad :( Lost all its grime and charm

• Sad

Flowerpotgirl

VIP Member
I thought that Amy was having an affair with Blake but he dropped her then she wrote back to black. Then of course he came crawling back.

It is still so sad.

I'm not convinced by her dad either to be honest. I get that they couldn't stop her. But his absence did have an effect on her, she said she pushed boundaries knowing there wouldn't be any consequences. And her friends were the ones that said Mitchell pushed her to work when she should have been in rehabilitation.
I think thats the way it started with her and Blake. Someone else as his gf and he couldnt decide what to do. 🙄
And it does sound like her dad was the one who pushed the tours. From what I have heard and read anyway.

I was not expecting her to die at the point she did. Back when she was eight Blake it wouldn’t have surprised me at all.
[
I was not expecting her to die at the point she did. Back when she was eight Blake it wouldn’t have surprised me at all.
In the words of Amy "Life is short. I have to seize the moment." - Amy Winehouse you certainly did and your music will never die

Gold_7

Chatty Member
Blake didn’t destroy her, IMO, addiction did. He didn’t help, but he’s an addict too. They weren’t good for each other for sure. I bloody hate drugs / alcohol. Destroys so many people.

I went to an exhibition on Amy at the Jewish Museum in Camden a few years back, and they had a lot of her stuff. It was lovely but very sad.

Silverback

VIP Member
It always bugged me that the Back to Black album ripped off the 60s sound so much- one of the songs even starts with the ‘Ain’t No Mountain High Enough’ riff.
I preferred Frank. Take the Box and You Should Be Stronger than me were awesome.

• Heart

shellie

VIP Member
She also of Russian descent and used to do private shows for oligarch types, so not sure how well that would go down now either
More than likely she would do what the others who continued to do it up until a few years ago did...ignore the people calling them out for it. Elton, Mariah and JLO were among a few who were constantly named and shamed but ignored those who said stuff and carried on doing it, only stopping 'officially' because of the war with Ukraine but I honesty wouldn't be surprised if some were still doing it but were more discreet and in a few years it will end up coming out.

boring bird

I was re-watching the film ‘Amy’ about her the other night. It mentioned that Rehab was written about an attempt to get her into rehab pre-Blake and pre-drugs to deal with her alcoholism. It was alcohol that liked her, she hadn’t taken drugs in a long time, and also the bulimia pre-dated him too.

Plus it’s easy for the press to point fingers at him when I remember how dreadfully the press hounded Amy, which definitely added to her problems, distracts from their role.

I think the thing with Blake is that a lot of people don’t realise he and his brother went through a lot and had a fucked up childhood. So if you’re pointing fingers of blame, someone fucked him up too.

I dunno. He did his rehab in the city I live in and I used to see him around a lot in the period around Amy’s death. He was a bit of a sad, pitiful and lonely character with a boatload of issues, not the demon he’s sometimes made out to be.
I always despised Blake. But after reading Amy's bestfriend's book I actually felt for him a bit. He had a really bad childhood and I think he was self medicating with drugs. Amy seemed like she wanted to embody Blake and take on his whole personilty and behaviour. He definitely was a leech though. By the time she died she was well rid, but I don't think there was any animosity there between them at the end.

Foxvint

VIP Member
I personally think it wasn't just one thing that killed her. I mean, technically, yes, she died of alcohol poisoning but her organs must have been shot to shit for years when you combine the drinking, the drugs and probable malnutrition due to the size of her. I think she would have died at some point after she did even if she hadn't been caning the booze - her poor tiny body was subjected to so much.

I haven't seen the film but I think I will. Amy was a unique, once in a lifetime talent and she was let down by everyone around her. She was a fucking Queen.
Agree. She was very weakened with the ED. Bulimia puts a terrible strain on the heart.

• Heart

Harlot O'Scara

VIP Member
Just had another look through and seen that the sale of the infamous blood-stained ballet pumps - and several other pairs - were "from the collection of Catriona Gourlay". Classy. But yeah, I'm sure Amy gave those to her as a nice little gift.

Naomi Parry also sold some tattered ballet pumps, an old MAC lipstick, and a dried out Rimmel eyeliner - "from the collection of Naomi Parry". No doubt there's plenty more but that confirms a few of the 156 items.

These people disgust me, possibly even more than Mitch. "Close friends" my arse.

What's the betting they either "borrowed" (cough) some of this stuff while Amy was alive or ransacked her house after she died?

Mitch is a shitty person but these two are no better. I remember reading a couple of interviews with Caitriona and it honestly sounded like she barely knew Amy and was just bullshitting.

shellie

VIP Member
Shocked as fuck with what I’ve read about the film 🤢 unbelievable.

But! I’ve been enjoying the BBC 4 schedule tonight dedicated to Amy. I love and miss her so much!

The only blemish in the evening is they’ve just showed a doc about her life in ten pictures, and it had her “friends” Naomi and Catriona on it, and they really get on my wick. The things they say and how they talk of Amy are things that you and I could easily say, nothing that could make you believe they were real friends. They weren’t in the Asif Kapadia documentary film, the film that had her actual real friends Juliette, Lauren, Nick, Tyler. The only other time they popped up was in that Winehouse family made documentary. Says a lot, really
I watched the family doc and they made it clear they didn't like the Asif one because of how Mitch was portrayed even though in the family one he proved them right about using her for attention by making a thing about how Amy thought he was great and deserved his name in lights and even treated us to a little rendition of him singing along to one of her songs. They said it was rubbish and people using Amy to get attention then on the family doc, one of her friends decided to be a complete hypocrite by revealing they had a thing for a while not knowing whether Amy would have wanted it made public or not.

• Heart

clueless

Chatty Member
I watched the family doc and they made it clear they didn't like the Asif one because of how Mitch was portrayed even though in the family one he proved them right about using her for attention by making a thing about how Amy thought he was great and deserved his name in lights and even treated us to a little rendition of him singing along to one of her songs. They said it was rubbish and people using Amy to get attention then on the family doc, one of her friends decided to be a complete hypocrite by revealing they had a thing for a while not knowing whether Amy would have wanted it made public or not.
That was absolutely awful, and Mitch actually would have signed off on Catriona saying that! I don’t even believe it, but if it were true, it’s the height of disrespect to say it, the last piece of her privacy sold off for no reason at all but to get attention. If I remember right, she even went as far as to say that Amy questioning her sexuality was a big part of her downfall. It was ten years after she was gone and to talk like that is just so uncalled for. I had a good rant on here at the time about it all!

Last edited: