Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Hasanah123

VIP Member
This is so true, and - not really referring to Ali here (I haven't watched a lot of his content so can't really have an opinion either way) - a lot of middle-class influencers/youtubers will use a minimalist aesthetic (a certain studytuber comes to mind) to almost downplay how privileged they are, when actually having a lot of possessions =/= being privileged, and sometimes minimalism can actually be costly (think about fast fashion etc and how those brands mainly target people from WC backgrounds, whilst influencers with money will act like they live a more frugal life because they only own 3 Armani shirts and 2 pairs of Yeezys)

P.S. I'm looking to do GEM and I've been watching PostGradMedic a lot recently and would really recommend his content, he's far more down to earth than a lot of med youtubers and his interviews with people who went into GEM from humanities/unrelated backgrounds are really worth a watch.
Im looking into GEM too. Most of the medic youtubers are useless, will check out his channel, thanks for sharing

Reactions: 1

ClockTime

Why is Ali's face on the thumbnail of Elizabeth's latest video when he isn't even on the video? Is she a friendly user? She even asked Captain Sinbad to add her on their Productivity guru chatgroup. I just feel that she should be asked rather than her asking them.

Maybe Sheen is just liking the comments that she just read to keep track of the new ones. But I'm not gonna lie, she can make a huge impact on Ali. She can keep him grounded and drill some emotional intelligence in him.

I wasn't able to watch the deep dive with Elizabeth and Sheen. Do you any of you have a link?

TheTatler

Yeah I'm also not one to wish failure on others but everything about Ali has become so unlikable as he has grown in confidence. He was always a smug person but now that has become pure arrogance has he backs it up with richness and success. Now he has actual successful people spending time with him and legitimatising him and it's infuriating because he has to little to offer. As he's actually got rid of the "working hard" part of his success then it becomes even easier to hate it.

1. He may do. Maybe he should put that in his "How much money I spent in a year" videos but usually he doesn't say he donated much to charity? The last one I saw from him didn't mention how much he spends on charity so you have to assume it's nothing.

2. Honestly the only person who can trulytalk shit on Ali is the guy who did the video about him being the King of Toxic Productivity has he's put himself out there in the world to criticise Ali. However as you said we're all allowed to criticise him and the fact he puts himself in the public eye means he's as criticisable as any other public figure on this website.

4. I know the school Ali went to and it is one of the best ones in Essex. Not the top end grammar school but very good school. He undoubtedly has benefitted from a lot of unfair advantages like coaching/tutoring for the Eleven Plus test and access to computers and coding in a time where many people did not have that.

5. This is due to Ali's main personality flaw and that's the last book / video / podcast he consumed is now his new world view. It's why one week he's a minimalist and the next week he wants to be a rapper and the next week he's obsessed jazz piano and the week after he's now passionate about cooking etc. etc.

6. Ali's video offer nothing unique. Look at the format of Matt D'avella's videos. They are well filmed and have interesting formats and funny jokes. The content is often basic but they are worth watching because of the fresh presentation and perspective he puts on things. Ali's videos in the name of productivity and best return on investment are just him sitting in front of a a desk in the studio talking about a book. They are so boring and he does not offer a fresh perspective on anything which is why he is worthless. He only views his content has a way to make money.
I think we both agree on all of this. I totally forgot that he made several expenses videos and you are right, he never mentioned the charity once, in them. So, I guess, he doesn't donate anymore, or else it would have been on the list, along with his multiple subscriptions and memberships and courses. Totally slipped my mind.

I don't believe that ali never faced discrimination. Has he never had one classmate/stranger/passerby say something rude about Muslims/foreigners/immigrants to him?
his words. not mine. he said it in the BLM video. also, the way people treat you is related to the kind of social circle you are in. perhaps he got lucky in that case.

Hasanah123

VIP Member
Is his brother dating his flate mate? Looked like they wer eholding hands at the end and they way they were close in the lift....

Wasp

90% sure he diddled Elizabeth
I think he is attracted to her and you can't blame him for that, she is good looking and charming. But he is not capable of approaching her because I think Ali doesn't know how to be vulnerable. He's still playing a persona of a nice guy who will some day provide for his family and wouldn't be involved in emotional weightlifting for any member of the family because he is not in touch with his emotions in the first place. I imagine women like Sheen and Elizabeth are not looking for that sort of men. So I don't think Elizabeth would be interested in him.

nvngwork

I am european and I live in the US, to be honest now is not a great time to get any sort of visas approved, so I understand why he would postpone

Dee B

Long time ~ periodic ~ lurker here. I actually liked Ali. In fact, I even signed up to SkillShare and watched his Anki tutorials - quite good tbf. But the lines between Ali Abdaal (individual) and Ali Abdaal (the brand) are becoming blurred. The constant spammy, emoji riddled threads - clearly not written by him, but outsourced - are really eroding his authenticity. And I definitely think he is on the spectrum! Do you guys think he's a virgin?
I don’t think he’s a virgin - he’s had a girlfriend since last summer, and says he’s been in relationships before.

Lola123

VIP Member
I have been his patient before. I knew who he was as soon as he entered the room and wanted to hide under my shitty hospital blankets. I did have a word with a different Dr to specify I wasn't happy with Ali being involved in my care. Not that I think he would break confidentiality, I just didn't feel I could trust him as much as other doctors you know? He came across as really shy and timid and not really knowing how to speak to patients, I think he clearly thinks he's the bees knees online but it doesn't work like that in a clinical setting.

My friend worked at the same hospital which meant I could go and have dinner in the staff lounge which was nicer. Unlike most medical staff who were sat in large groups and laughing etc Ali seemed a bit of a loner and was clearly just sat taking Instagram pics of his food instead of engaging with colleagues.
Maybe he thought due to his lack of bed side care he couldn’t progress up the medical ranks so has taken a break for now (I don’t think he’ll ever go back to it)

hollowcrown

Chatty Member
Still ctfu about the whole oh I statistically help the world more by becoming filthy rich and giving to charity than working as a doctor

JohnMasters

Also as a side note - why has no one in his team told him to stop posting these terrible pouting pics of himself? He looks fine when he’s not posing like girls used to in the 2010s, but he pulls the same idiotic face in every pic
Because he likely hires people that walk around behind him with empty jars in hopes they can capture his errant farts. The clones of him that have swarmed the internet following his shitty course are probably the same category of people he employs. Who would dare question his genius? It's a cult and the prophet can do no wrong especially when the rose tinted glasses are attached to their skulls with lag bolts.

TheTatler

I mean he's read quite a lot about race as far as I am aware and admits to coming from a place where he wasn't particularly educated about it and his privilege in being a straight male. Most of the negative comments on his video about learning about race were some of his followers complaining about his definition of racism including a power dynamic and stuff. I really don't think he's massively sexist or anything in the way people on this thread are making him out to be. I don't think Sheen or Molly would be friends with someone sexist and that most of the comments people pick him up on as 'incel terminology' are said self deprecatingly. To me something like 'increase my sexual marketplace value' is obviously self deprecation. In terms of dating I think he's just trying to navigate largely unfamiliar territory and so is trying to be efficient and thorough about it. The whole 'go with the flow' thing and let a relationship just happen is a nice idea but, particularly during a pandemic, isn't really going to happen so he's making an effort.
The race video was around the time when everyone was making it and so, IDK how much he actually read. So, I am going to skip that part. My statement was from a general POV. The incel stuff is something I am not sure about so IDK about that either.

"...as I am aware and admits to coming from a place where he wasn't particularly educated about it and his privilege in being a straight male."
I do give him the benefit of doubt on that but frankly speaking, I find it to be a poor excuse when someone says that they do not know much about topics like these just because they weren't previously educated. Nowadays, there are tons of information floating around and for someone like him, it is fairly accessible. there is truly no excuse for ignorance regarding mainstream/prevalent topics like these in today's day and age.

Leni_Poekler

Ali getting a lot of backlash under his newest video (sort comments for "newest", it's not in the top comments ofc lol)

Ali getting a lot of backlash under his newest video (sort comments for "newest", it's not in the top comments ofc lol)
Nevermind, he just deleted almost all the negative comments.

Last edited:

Wasp

Re: discussion of emotional intelligence above. Didn't Ali say in a video a while back that when he was at school and told his headmaster that he wanted to apply to medicine, he was told he was 'too robotic / not warm enough' and wouldn't pass medicine interviews? I can't remember which video now but I found that interesting.
He spoke about it in an interview with Paul Millerd.