Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Charrots

Interesting because wasn’t basic lifting and carrying something the DWP would ask people to do as part of their assessments of suitability to work? Gary doing some good work here.

• Haha
Reactions: 11

TikiMeerkat

Adam arguing that he rejected his proofreader’s Oxford comma suggestions on the grounds that Oxford commas are too confusing for dyslexics is ABSOLUTELY SENDING ME TO THE MOON.

This entire self-publishing process is a train wreck and I can’t look away. He is so sure of himself, so confident behind the pretense of false humility, and yet so deeply and utterly clueless about how ignorant he comes across. Does he understand that editing and copyediting are two different processes? Did he actually have anyone help him with major structural edits and rewrites, or did he really pay hundreds of pounds just to have someone to argue with about commas?

The letter to his younger self in place of an author’s note is really telling. I can understand that writing this book may have been therapeutic or cathartic for him, but in the same way the whole world doesn’t need to read your diary, the whole world also doesn’t need to read your thinly-veiled self-insert teenage redo, especially if you haven’t done any of the work to give it any literary value. And I don’t mean that in a pretentious way — novels are supposed to be entertaining, they can be fluffy and silly and light. But even the most unserious novels — even for a YA audience — need SOMETHING to ground them if they’re going to be any good, and that work comes down to the author. The author’s job is to use symbolism, metaphor, figurative language, etc. to make the story bigger than the sum of its parts. I think Adam has no idea how to do any of that, and is relying way too much on his own personal life experiences being so profound that all he has to do is write them down and then they will do the heavy lifting.

I know this is a lot to say before even reading the book, but the way he has spoken about this entire process, I’d be shocked if I was wrong about any of this.

And not for nothing, but you simply cannot be a good writer if you’re not also a reader. Does Adam read? Has he ever talked about reading? Thinking you can write a novel when you never (or hardly ever) read them yourself is such infuriating arrogance.

• Heart

starri

VIP Member
Oh, screw it, he's put it on the US Amazon Kindle store for preorder.

It's $7. I guess I'll be a canary in the coal mine for us. I don't think I'll be as kind as Gary.

• Haha
  • Heart

Charrots

Honestly writing a novel is a massive achievement so good on him. But moving copies is a difficult job and the publishing and bookselling industry is shrinking. The hardback, gilded edges is just an act of vanity. He would have been better of sticking to a digital version or a paperback if his ego demands a print version.
Writing and completing a book is an achievement - people say they will, and often stop when they realise that a commitment to writing and planning something between 50,000 and 100,000 words or more is not straightforward. Completing the task therefore is something that you can say requires commitment to the topic.

It doesn’t mean it’s any good. This is the brutal truth. The red flags are that nobody wanted to publish the book (think of how many are published, how many are rejected, that’s fine…) Adam is fairly one-dimensional with little apparent creativity, so it’s natural he would fall in to the majority of those who get rejected.

Most people don’t have the budget he has, so if they still had the desire to self-publish, they’d do so through Amazon or Lulu. He does however have a lot of money to play pretend - and I think this is where he is deliberately misleading himself with what the achievement is.

I don’t know if his fan base is sufficient enough to make him feel fulfilled, it probably is to be fair - if 1-3,000 fans buy his book, and 1-300 people review it, it’s enough gratification to fool anyone. He can have 100 of those people tell him that it would make a great film.

Like has been said here, he lives in an echo chamber. He could literally have created anything - and really, think of that, he could have created anything and pumped money into promotion and the above formula is true.

The achievement is therefore amassing a fanbase by exploiting who you are - then monetising that fanbase. Adam clearly does that well, and if he wants to claim that he is a best-selling author via that, well then he could easily become a best-selling fashion designer based on people buying t-shirts with morning written on, a best-selling artist, a best-selling playwright, a best-selling homeware maker, a best-selling skin care product provider, a best-selling candlemaker.

Possibilities are endless if your ego is strong enough to shake off the shamelessness of it.

• Heart

Theodore

VIP Member
What someone said earlier in the thread really landed with me. All that performing at the printers with the “author” hi-viz jacket on, all the screeching, tearing up and “I can’t believe it” crumbles to dust when you remember he bought the whole experience. He’s paid thousands to crack on that he’s a published author, just like he buys experiences at Disney, having himself on that any of it is anything other than flagrant capitalism.
I think if he’d written it, published it and marketed it without all that shit we’ve seen in recent vlogs I’d be wishing him a bit more luck with it. Yes he has a captive audience and he’s entitled to use that, who wouldn’t, but the performance around it all… so so fake.

Purple Haze

When he said “employees of the Adam Hattan company” at the beginning, why doesn’t he just call them his parents? 🤣🤣

• Haha

Theodore

VIP Member
I know you may be joking and I also know that I am not the target market, but I found the casual ageism really irritating in that first paragraph (I am assuming Bev is middle aged as it is a name of that era). She was irrationally difficult compared to our teenage protagonist, she is haggard, she is bellowing and spitting out her words and whilst I don’t know what profanities touching her lips means, it surely was not intended as a good thing.
Sounds like Jen Lefforge was the inspiration.

• Haha
Reactions: 10

Theodore

VIP Member
All of the 🥺🥺 performance when he checked in and there was a bottle of water and generic welcome card. You paid for it all Adam. Anyone buying that room will get the same. You’re not special. Then in the room tour he totally glossed over the adjoining door and I instantly thought “noise problems!”. Lo and behold at the end he confesses that he could hear people taking a piss. Just bend over Adam, let The Disney Corporation do you a bit harder. You can look at the picture of Mickey above the headboard while you’re taking it. Mug.

• Haha

Tabitha

VIP Member
IMG_0501.jpeg

Have you all seen this? The irony that morrrnningg is probably midday for him.
The cheapest tier here is gold at $13.50 a month. Pearl is $52!!
And only 27 posts lol.

Does he kick them out when they cancel?

He needs to stop using ‘magical’ as an adjective. He sounds like a magician.

• Wow
  • Angry

Mark81

VIP Member
So Adam has posted multiple stories of making friendship bracelets for the Taylor concert.

I'm sorry but a 30 year old man doing something teenage girls do is...a choice. I get it's a 'thing' for Taylor (which reconfirms she's aimed at and stuck in teenage years). But still.

So, you meet a guy in his 30s and he has disney all over his home, has a self created disney job, reads YA gay lit and has posters on his wall AND he is a swiftie and makes friendship bracelets. These things are also all he can talk about and has any knowledge of.

🚩

• Wow

Babyshark

VIP Member
Wondering if this is so the factory staff know who not to say “how shit does this book look” to

• Haha

GSquaredUWS

VIP Member
He actually thought he could get a book traditionally published 😂 Before “ultimately deciding” to self publish. Or in plain English being rejected so it was the only option.

• Haha

GSquaredUWS

VIP Member
Just sat at work doing some online equality, diversity and inclusion training and Adams job advert for a marketing person definitely broke the rules. You shouldn't mention age full stop in a job advert
Initially Adam typed ''young, white, single, slim, attractive gay man, preferably with American citizenship, bonus available if you look like Flynn Ryder'' Then he thought, I went too far so young person, white, single, slim, attractive gay man, preferably with American citizenship, bonus availoable if you look like Flynn Ryder

• Haha

Mark81

VIP Member
In the latest vlog he says he sent it off for proof reading but when it came back with all the grammar corrections he decided to reject some of them because he thought his version made the writing ”flow better”. He doesn’t like too many commas, or the rules around when they’re required and he won’t have hyphens because he doesn’t like “hyphenisation”. He went on some diatribe how his entire family are dyslexic and he considers hyphens to be difficult for dyslexic people to understand. Translation: “I know better than the proof reader”.
Doesn't this just sum him up completely.

If he has really ignored a qualified and experienced proof reader and sent it to print then he is an idiot. You don't get to pick and choose what grammar and spelling you do and don't like Adam

• Haha