Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Charrots

I have friends who are traditionally published authors - known, big publishers - and have experienced some of their journey with some books over the years. They do not behave in this way - there’s a difference between being a writer and playing at being a writer, and there’s a dramatic difference between publishing and self-publishing, which can only really be discovered the hard way, and Adam is making a lot of decisions that strike me as being made by someone who is playing at being a writer.

The entire process has been interesting to watch - discussions with a YouTube agent and a literary agent which seemed quite odd, some of the comments that Adam was saying don’t really seem representative of what a literary agent would actually say in that developmental stage. Not a reputable one. Writers live inside their work and become obsessed with it, granted it doesn’t seem like an exact science but him saying he‘d written it and after 5 or 6 reads was sick of it, doesn’t bode well. Paying an obscene amount to have a book proofread and edited and then changing it when he confesses that he might be dyslexic (which in itself isn’t a great look, not in being dyslexic, but in suddenly portraying a struggle for sympathy), you’re just asking for trouble.

The obsession with having it look aesthetically right, to a character that has to look and sound like an idealised younger version of himself, shows it’s a vacuous vanity project which is fine, because he has the money to blow through, but it doesn’t make a book readable.

Nor does selling a lot of copies - he has 120,000 subscribers on YouTube, plenty of followers on socials, and has paid a significant amount of money to get promotion and shift copies of books. Self-published authors with some spare cash often do this because it adds some faux credibility. They enlist a marketing company like BookBub, they have deals with magazines like Cosmopolitan (I think it might be the Hearst magazine group who take their adverts), so the book features there in an advert, the self-published writer gets to say their work was featured in Cosmo as a ‘recommended book of the week’. Watch out for this trick in later vlogs.

Amazon does general and niche tags, so while he’s correct to say it would take more than 5 copies to get to number 2, there is a chance that you could get to number one in a category on one day selling little more than two handfuls. That said, I wouldn’t devalue anyone their day in the sun, even if they did pay handsomely for it. The impressive number is getting into the 200s overall, but that would be expected from an instant launch with a captive audience his size, for a first novel when nobody knows how good or bad it would be.

He has shown a lot of excitement about people pre-ordering, but has calculated for them to do exactly that, says he doesn’t like doing the hard sell but literally begs in the direct terms ‘PLEASE BUY IT’ in targeted advertisements totaling over 2 hrs so far. He says he’s ordered 6,000 copies and doesn’t want 3,000 to sit in a warehouse. There’s probably a good chance because of his reach that he will be able to sell most of them over time but it was a ridiculously unnecessary over-speculation that screams of vanity and having way too much money, and also either being badly advised or not advised at all.

Few published authors get to go and watch their books being printed - every step of the process has been him paying to do something and then showcasing it.

None of this says the book is any good, and the likelihood is that taking over the editing is going to be a fatal blow for the book on a critical level.

I suspect he will make sure he guilts his fanbase into 5 star reviews, he will convince himself that those are critically good reviews, and it will convince him to pay through the nose for a second self-published book, on the theory that the first one will probably make just about it’s money back.

But, like the first one, there was a reason it wasn’t picked up, and publishing is a brutal world. If he couldn’t get a traditional publishing contract with a reach like his, then that says editors are completely unconvinced with the product, because they’ll usually take any old tat from someone with a social reach of over 100k.

Apologies for the essay. Might hire myself an editor, a cover designer and get it self-published and see if I get a number two.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 24

ReadySteadyGrift

Chatty Member
Exclusive: word on the street is that Adams 2nd book is already underway.

It will focus on his friendship with Gary and the titled being mooted is 'Hiding his ability to work'.

• Haha
Reactions: 20

Theodore

VIP Member
“I’m a work demon…”

”During this book writing process I’ve been getting up at 10.30…”

My eyes are rolling so hard I can see my optic nerve. 🙄

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 19

Maleficent50

VIP Member
Gary C(unt) in a hi-vis is the closest he’s ever been to a days work

1717190791256.png

---
WHAT IN THE NAME OF ARROGANT TWAT IS HE WEARING?

1717190698717.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 18

ReadySteadyGrift

Chatty Member
If a man in his 30s gave my daughter a bracelet with slut on it the only stars he would be seeing would be the ones from where my fist had rearranged his face 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 17

hrgrmr47

ooh just spotted this review on NetGalley which won’t be making it to Adam’s instagram story 😂:

“Thank you to Adam Hattan and NetGalley for a Galley of this in exchange for an honest review.

I requested Hiding Him because it sounded like something in the same vein of Heartstopper, I series I love, and like a few other YA romances I have read. I want to start with the good things!

This was an easy read, the language was straight forward, the characters distinct, and the overall story line enjoyable. I liked the humour, and the way the teens interacted felt honest, and realistic. There was a solid emotional base in this book, and Hattan knows how to pull on heart-strings. Without being tropey, Hattan also manages to strike on a lot of conventions, and I think employs them well.

All that being said, I had a few things about this book that cap it pretty solidly at a 3 star max. Whilst I know this is a galley, there were significantly more spelling and grammatical errors than I would expect. I hope these were caught before the book went to print! It just needs a good red-pen, SPaG check honestly. This had the unfortunate effect of making a concise, clear, writing style read as much younger than it was.

Another issue I had was the representation of schools. Now, I appreciate that the author is likely drawing on his own experiences at school, but some of it was just google-able. Maybe I missed somewhere what year it was meant to be, but A1 / A2 was discontinued in 2017 and sixth-forms now run straight A-levels, where exams take place in Yr13 only for most courses. Not a huge thing, but something easy enough to change, and something which anyone 25 or younger will know has changed / is not right.

Minor spoiler: Another small adjustment which would make the difference: bullying / altercations definitely happen in schools... but if a teacher witnesses you slapping your bf, even if you are a girl, you're getting expelled. That's an unprovoked attack on another student. If the teacher hadn't witnessed it, then like... yeah, no problems.

This book gets 3 stars because the story-line was strong enough, and the characters compelling enough, that I wanted to make it to the end. I hope that the errors here were caught before production started, and I hope, if they weren't, that this might go through revisions prior to the next print run.”

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 15

Geetbo

VIP Member
Adam giggling that this is “far too hot.”

image.jpg

Imagine how boring shagging him must be.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 15

Geetbo

VIP Member
I can’t believe we’re going to read a sex scene written by Adam Hattan who definitely cries when he cums.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 14

emerald

VIP Member
1000002946.png

Set in a secondary school but there's been repeated reference to it being "spicy" and the publisher wanted it to be sexier. Ick.

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 13

Mark81

VIP Member
OK, here we go...35 minutes with Adam.

- I'll say Adam looks better and is less 'on' than his usual vlogs during the intro section.

- they (agents) like it , it's not for them (I.e. it's not very good)

- mentions his 'team', his youtube manager etc

- he's a 'work demon' apparently.

- he's a slow reader, but a fast writer apparently. Explains the quality of his work

- very obvious he has never worked before

- 20 pages of editing a day....thats not that much Adam.

- oh woe is me Adam, makes him tired (gets up at 1030am) and he recommends self care time

- his attitude seems quite different to many authors I've followed

- I'm confused. He has a youtube manager, couldn't get an agent, but now he has an agent. Is that just a youtube person and not a real literature agent?!

- his flat really is just disney. Also some very odd, old fashioned interior design choices.

- this vlog is really explaining his (poor) work ethic and why everything he does is so slap dash

- Adam seems surprised writing a book is 'work'. And he's only read it all the way through 4 times and seems to think that's a lot.

- 'gotta support my blondie' 🙄🙄 (referring to Taylor Switch)

- publishers saying 'it's us, not you' 🤣🤣🤣 oh Adam, that's the publishing worlds 'it's not you, it's me'. If the publishers already have something similar, then you're not that original are you.

- his arrogance is showing at not thinking it might be him and just wanting to get on with it

- so youtube manager has been dumped/or Adam has been dumped. Knowing how Adam embellishs things, I'm not sure how mutual things were. Or he only hears what he wants to hear.

- we love the book, we can see it being successful but we're not publishing it. Adam can't read between the lines

- you can tell Adam doesn't get told 'No' often. His constant impatient must be exhausting to those working with him.

- it costs money to self publish? Er...that goes against most things on self publishing. Hes obviously not just doing Amazon. Why does he always have to get money in first before he can do anything. Needs the pre orders to pay for proof reading, marketing etc? Has he no savings or anything?

- the costs of editors is the first interesting thing in the whole video, at 31 minutes of a 35 minute video.

- this video is an eye opener on Adam and his attitude. Completely backs up what we've always thought. Gives zero insight into self publishing though.

Next week's doesn't look all that informative either. It's all about him

• Haha

Geetbo

VIP Member
“Exploration into getting my book traditionally published”

Aka sending it to every publisher in the UK and being told it is badly written shite.

• Haha

Geetbo

VIP Member
I cringed so hard reading that advert that my anus is now at the back of my neck.

• Haha

Theodore

VIP Member
In the latest vlog he says he sent it off for proof reading but when it came back with all the grammar corrections he decided to reject some of them because he thought his version made the writing ”flow better”. He doesn’t like too many commas, or the rules around when they’re required and he won’t have hyphens because he doesn’t like “hyphenisation”. He went on some diatribe how his entire family are dyslexic and he considers hyphens to be difficult for dyslexic people to understand. Translation: “I know better than the proof reader”.

• Haha
  • Wow

hrgrmr47

2* review which is also the first one that doesn’t mention being a fan of Adam beforehand and says it’s from a “book trade professional”

The story is sweet enough, although not exactly original. But, fine: it may be predictable, but the world needs nice queer love stories. The problem is that this one's so badly written. Poor grammar, incorrect word usage, and so many creative dialogue tags that they obscure the meaning of sentences.

• Haha