Actually Honest - skincare & makeup reviews #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Any recommendations for a good but not £££ mascara?
I have straight lashes, but they look good when curled so need something with a good hold!

TIA xxx
My lashes are POKER straight. I gently heat a metal curler with the hair dryer and at the moment really rate this mascara - I find that I have to use waterproof mascara if I want the curl to hold.

C9CF86E3-CD1B-4C19-A199-D61635C0809A.jpeg
7B2D4F6C-1033-4E37-B248-FEDD7EE4B514.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Yes that is good. So annoying - my local Wilko just has none. The Essence line branding is changing (apparently) and they are waiting for the new stock.

And interesting re products for black hair. I've started using Cantu leave in conditioner - Shea butter. Absolute game changer for my hair. I was in despair how it was so tangled, greasy and yet dry (lovely 😂). I use the tiniest smear on damp hair (no conditioner in the shower) and it has transformed my hair to glossy and healthy.
It is marketed for black hair (I am not). I honestly wasn't aware there was any controversy tbh.
Is it this one?

Is it this one?
Yes!
But it was about £5 in Superdrug.
Really good stuff but honestly the tiniest amount needed - the lightest finger swipe across the top. You won't think it is enough but it is. I think the instructions say 'apply generously'. Don't (if you have hair like mine anyway which is long and quite fine. Probably different if thicker, curlier or processed).
I did too much the first time and though it was an amazing deep conditioner my hair looked wet 😂 You can also use it in this way overnight though.
I lightly towel dry my hair and then work it in from ends to mid way.
I'd been struggling to find anything that worked with my hair. As I said before it was just tangling itself into tiny knots constantly and was dry and greasy at the same time. It now just has more body, and isn't tangling or breaking. And looks better between washes.

• Heart
Yes!
But it was about £5 in Superdrug.
Really good stuff but honestly the tiniest amount needed - the lightest finger swipe across the top. You won't think it is enough but it is. I think the instructions say 'apply generously'. Don't (if you have hair like mine anyway which is long and quite fine. Probably different if thicker, curlier or processed).
I did too much the first time and though it was an amazing deep conditioner my hair looked wet 😂 You can also use it in this way overnight though.
I lightly towel dry my hair and then work it in from ends to mid way.
I'd been struggling to find anything that worked with my hair. As I said before it was just tangling itself into tiny knots constantly and was dry and greasy at the same time. It now just has more body, and isn't tangling or breaking. And looks better between washes.
I am getting some and will heed your warnings. I am inclined to use too much. My hair does that infuriating tiny knot business.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I can understand the ire about the price hike, always annoying, but the business person is black and going to earn well out of it, so in that respect seeing a black business do well is cheering. And maybe it will bring more black businesses into the market.

I don’t like dictators in any sphere, particularly hate all this cultural appropriation malarky, unless it is an appropriation that encourages racism. Leaving horrible comments is not on. What any one chooses to wear or use is not really anybody’s business. One of my black colleagues wears a blond wig. I must tell her to remove it as she has no right to wear it, or maybe I should just mind my own business and let her crack on.
I think what people tend to miss is that when these brands become popular for European markets, the prices increase, then they get bought out, then the formulas change, and the initial market it was originally for can no longer use it because it no longer works for them.

For reference, this has already happened to Shea Moisture, Carol’s Daughter, Aunt Jackie’s and I’m sure a few more.

There’s no need for nasty comments of course, but in a world where the black hair are market is so much smaller than the European market, there is genuine concern that if they become extremely popular for a different demographic, the product will be changed to cater to those people, leaving black women with even less products to turn to.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I think what people tend to miss is that when these brands become popular for European markets, the prices increase, then they get bought out, then the formulas change, and the initial market it was originally for can no longer use it because it no longer works for them.

For reference, this has already happened to Shea Moisture, Carol’s Daughter, Aunt Jackie’s and I’m sure a few more.

There’s no need for nasty comments of course, but in a world where the black hair are market is so much smaller than the European market, there is genuine concern that if they become extremely popular for a different demographic, the product will be changed to cater to those people, leaving black women with even less products to turn to.
Yes, that is a fair point. However more and more black owned brands are emerging which can only be good for that demographic. On Dragons Den recently 2 black guys were looking for investment in their black skin men’s skincare range. They said it was an untapped market. Black guys like to look good, and they have particular skincare needs (Shaving bumps I think they said) and there was nothing out there.

yes and tbh i think a lot of these products don't suit non black hair types. i have wavy/curly hair (2b/2c) and was given a shea moisture pot to use. it was way too heavy for my hair type even though i was only using a little bit at a time. it weighed my curls down because it just didn't suit my hair.

Yes, that is a fair point. However more and more black owned brands are emerging which can only be good for that demographic. On Dragons Den recently 2 black guys were looking for investment in their black skin men’s skincare range. They said it was an untapped market. Black guys like to look good, and they have particular skincare needs (Shaving bumps I think they said) and there was nothing out there.
Still not at the rate there are for straight hair. Again, totally understand how this looks from the outside looking in, but if you were already struggling to find products and then the formula of a miracle product changes to the point where it’s unusable, you’d be a bit miffed that people are like oh but more people are going into that market. Black people have existed for eons. There’s a reason why there’s still so little on the shelves, it’s not for lack of trying.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Still not at the rate there are for straight hair. Again, totally understand how this looks from the outside looking in, but if you were already struggling to find products and then the formula of a miracle product changes to the point where it’s unusable, you’d be a bit miffed that people are like oh but more people are going into that market. Black people have existed for eons. There’s a reason why there’s still so little on the shelves, it’s not for lack of trying.
It is getting better. My Boots has a lot of black hair products. It is filtering into the mainstream.

This is literally the least sexy product ever 😂 but it works so well for me. My skin is dry and prone to being itchy but this really does the trick. So cheap it is worth a try. And a huge bottle. Doesn't lather much for me but that is because of the hard water area I live in.

Oooh, might give that a go - will put it in a sexy bottle to make it look fancy!

Another vote for the Bioderma shower oil, it is very nice when I'm feeling v dry.

Any recommendations for a good but not £££ mascara?
I have straight lashes, but they look good when curled so need something with a good hold!

TIA xxx
Another vote for Essence. I have the lash princess with the pink trim

• Heart
yes and tbh i think a lot of these products don't suit non black hair types. i have wavy/curly hair (2b/2c) and was given a shea moisture pot to use. it was way too heavy for my hair type even though i was only using a little bit at a time. it weighed my curls down because it just didn't suit my hair.
Exactly. I only get away with using them because I have thick, medium to coarse 2c/3a hair. If you have fine hair, just don't bother. I need something to weigh my hair down or I just have vey big, wide, frizzed hair. If these products changed formulation I'd be stuffed, so it'd be even worse for black women.

Another vote for Essence. I have the lash princess with the pink trim
I’ve literally never heard of this brand! Where do you get it from?

ETA sorry just seen… Wilko….omg it’s so cheap! £3!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
I’ve literally never heard of this brand! Where do you get it from?

ETA sorry just seen… Wilko….omg it’s so cheap! £3!!!
I don’t paint my nails anymore but I used to have 300 plus polishes, including very expensive ones. I was a bit of an aficionado. However, Essence polishes were very good. A great budget buy. I also like some of their lipsticks.

Reactions: 3
Ive got really bad dark under eye bags, have tried all sorts, concealer makes them worst! Any advice please!

My highlights have turned out quite grey, which is not the colour I was going for. My hairdresser says it’ll wash out… I’m not sure. Any suggestions please?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.