Actually Honest - skincare & makeup reviews #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Can anybody recommend me a cellulite cream that actually works? So many different products to choose from.

And a cream that reduces under eye puffiness? Currently using a Clinique one but can’t see any difference at all after 6 months.

Reactions: 1
Talking of under eye puffiness, has anyone tried that magic cream that you pat on, dry, and it tightens up that area? (Mostly seen on QVC and infomercials….name escapes me).

Going back a few years there used to be an old wives tale that pile cream did the same thing!

Can anybody recommend me a cellulite cream that actually works? So many different products to choose from.

And a cream that reduces under eye puffiness? Currently using a Clinique one but can’t see any difference at all after 6 months.
I knew someone that was a beauty therapist and she highly recommended dry skin brushing to help reduce cellulite, along with using this seaweed bath. I was never brave enough to try it though, as she said to make sure you were home afterwards as it was very "detoxifying" and you'd need to go to the toilet afterwards!!!

Reactions: 3
And a cream that reduces under eye puffiness?
Using a product with a metal applicator really helps with puffy eyes. Also it just feels nice. I’m using the Charlotte Tilbury caffeine one and it’s fine but I have notice it pilling so I need to work out what product it doesn’t work with.

Reactions: 2
I bought some of that new shampoo and conditioner from the ordinary this week. So thought I’d share my opinion so far.

Shampoo - this is unfragranced. It doesn’t lather up that much like a normal shampoo and is quite a thin consistency. I have recently ( in the last week) put a colour ( at home one) in my hair and I think it has possibly stripped it a bit.

Conditioner - this is also unfragranced. It also didn’t feel very hydrating when I put in my hair.

overhall hair feel once dried - Despite both products not being what I am used too. My hair felt silky smooth when I had dried and straightened it.I think both products may suit people with fine / oily hair whereas mine is quite thick and in the dry/ normal range. Just felt like it made my hair a little squeaky when I’d finished washing it.

packaging - basic and boring ( sorry I know it’s probably not important) but it does look a bit crap.

I bought some of that new shampoo and conditioner from the ordinary this week. So thought I’d share my opinion so far.

Shampoo - this is unfragranced. It doesn’t lather up that much like a normal shampoo and is quite a thin consistency. I have recently ( in the last week) put a colour ( at home one) in my hair and I think it has possibly stripped it a bit.

Conditioner - this is also unfragranced. It also didn’t feel very hydrating when I put in my hair.

overhall hair feel once dried - Despite both products not being what I am used too. My hair felt silky smooth when I had dried and straightened it.I think both products may suit people with fine / oily hair whereas mine is quite thick and in the dry/ normal range. Just felt like it made my hair a little squeaky when I’d finished washing it.

packaging - basic and boring ( sorry I know it’s probably not important) but it does look a bit crap.
This is really helpful, thank you! My hair is always a bit oily at the roots, and I did wonder about introducing a little bit of SLS back in to see if it helped that (although my hair was oily back when I used SLS shampoos) as sometimes it seems like there is product build up at the scalp. I might give us a whirl, although it would annoy me if it stripped the dye out a bit, it is one thing I like about my current set up, my dye lasts pretty well and when I colour my roots and the run it through the ends it dyes very evenly.

This is really helpful, thank you! My hair is always a bit oily at the roots, and I did wonder about introducing a little bit of SLS back in to see if it helped that (although my hair was oily back when I used SLS shampoos) as sometimes it seems like there is product build up at the scalp. I might give us a whirl, although it would annoy me if it stripped the dye out a bit, it is one thing I like about my current set up, my dye lasts pretty well and when I colour my roots and the run it through the ends it dyes very evenly.
My hair (just past my waist) tends to be slightly oily at the roots and dryer at the ends. I started using L'Oreal 'Dream Lengths' range recently and my hair is looking so much better. Definitely recommend. It's usually on offer somewhere too.

Reactions: 6
No problem. With regards to the stripping of colour - I know that some colour loss is expected in the first few days but the dye does really look a little more faded than I expect ( I am brunette and used a chocolate shade ) .

I found both products underwhelming tbh so I am a bit peeved I spent close to £14 on the pair . My choice though . If you try them then hopefully they work out much better for your hair.

No problem. With regards to the stripping of colour - I know that some colour loss is expected in the first few days but the dye does really look a little more faded than I expect ( I am brunette and used a chocolate shade ) .

I found both products underwhelming tbh so I am a bit peeved I spent close to £14 on the pair . My choice though . If you try them then hopefully they work out much better for your hair.
I might even hang on till their 23% off in November. I keep meaning to do a little scalp treatment with the glycolic acid as I think that helps my scalp, but I haven’t committed to a proper routine for any self-care that extends beyond having a shower, haha!

My hair (just past my waist) tends to be slightly oily at the roots and dryer at the ends. I started using L'Oreal 'Dream Lengths' range recently and my hair is looking so much better. Definitely recommend. It's usually on offer somewhere too.

I bought that Wonder Water, but I haven’t actually even tried it yet! I chopped all my hair off a while ago and the haircuts I’ve had since have kept it quite short, so perhaps Wonder Water wasn’t the best product to try as it’s harder to keep it to my ends. I will have a look for the shampoo/conditioner. I am sure it doesn’t actually matter that my hair isn’t long, and I think I’d like to grow it out anyway 😊

I bought that Wonder Water, but I haven’t actually even tried it yet! I chopped all my hair off a while ago and the haircuts I’ve had since have kept it quite short, so perhaps Wonder Water wasn’t the best product to try as it’s harder to keep it to my ends. I will have a look for the shampoo/conditioner. I am sure it doesn’t actually matter that my hair isn’t long, and I think I’d like to grow it out anyway 😊
I find my roots are a lot less oily. Normally I used have to wash it every second day which was a pain as it takes forever to dry, but I can get three days out of it now, although I tend to tie it up and use a bit of dry shampoo on day 3, but I can get away with it.

Hi everyone, I’m looking for some advice on cystic acne and how to treat it. I’m 40 and my skin was never spotty as a teen but since my mid 30s it has been really oily and now I get big painful breakouts mainly along the jawline and chin but randomly on my face too. They then leave red hyperpigmentation on my pale skin so even if I’ve no active spots I have red blotches and I just want clear skin! It’s really getting me down.

I’ve decided to try tretanoin to target the spots and hopefully get clear skin. Was thinking a Dermatica prescription? Does anyone have any advice/experience of this or another potential treatment? I’d be so grateful!

Hi everyone, I’m looking for some advice on cystic acne and how to treat it. I’m 40 and my skin was never spotty as a teen but since my mid 30s it has been really oily and now I get big painful breakouts mainly along the jawline and chin but randomly on my face too. They then leave red hyperpigmentation on my pale skin so even if I’ve no active spots I have red blotches and I just want clear skin! It’s really getting me down.

I’ve decided to try tretanoin to target the spots and hopefully get clear skin. Was thinking a Dermatica prescription? Does anyone have any advice/experience of this or another potential treatment? I’d be so grateful!
I would get one or two cystic acne spots almost every month on my chin. It was how I knew a period was due in a week or so. I started skin and me tret and it lessened the frequency of them and if I did get one, it went in a day or two without scarring. I got tret for anti ageing but that was a good bonus to have! I presume it was the tretinoin that did it but my formula did have niacinamide and azelaic acid as well.

Oh that’s good to hear! Do you still use Tret? I think it’s worth a go as I’ve read lots of good things about using Tret for acne but some personal experiences and results are really helpful so thankyou! 🙏

Oh that’s good to hear! Do you still use Tret? I think it’s worth a go as I’ve read lots of good things about using Tret for acne but some personal experiences and results are really helpful so thankyou! 🙏
Yes I still use it. My prescription is 0.05% but I worked up to that amount. I did peel though and still do it I take a break for any reason. It's definitely worth trying.

Has anyone tried Rihanna’s FENTY skincare line? I’m thinking of giving it a go.

Reactions: 2
Not sure if anyone is interested or not but I have recently bought a few make up bits and tested them out. Just as a point of reference - I have mature skin which is often dry ( mostly the top of my nose and also the forehead) . The rest of my skin I think is normal ( I don’t have large pores and I’m not oily). I wear fair shades in foundation.

Rare Beauty - light tinted foundation in 12C

Comes with an application sponge thingy to dab on your face. Loved the shade match - it’s one of the most accurate I have ever used. The formula is lightweight and light coverage. It’s also buildable for extra coverage although if your looking for fuller coverage then this won’t be for you. As the day progressed the foundation started to separate - primarily around the nose area. It’s also a dewy natural finish but it is not OTT dewy ( where you end up shiny). I liked it but would I buy again - no I don’t think so. It’s not worth the £26 price tag imo. I also think it’s more suited to the younger demographic as the packaging was very much kylie Jenner style.

Rare Beauty blush and lip gloss combo :- £17 for the set.

Super pigmented blush and lip stick - I chose the shade believe in the blush which is a deep pink and kindness in the lip stick which is a nude shade. I would use the blush sparingly as a little really does go a long way. Blends very easily into the skin. The shade is a little too dark for my skin tone but this is on me as I picked a slightly darker tone blush. The lipstick is not for me - again shade is not quite right. The formula itself is lovely and soft . Easy to apply but longevity ( on me at least) wasn’t the best. I loved the blush so I would def buy a lighter tone blush in future but wouldn’t buy another lipstick.

Charlotte Tilbury - setting spray £15 for 34ml

Expensive but worth the price. Slightly scented but isn’t unpleasant. One of the best setting sprays I have ever used. You don’t need to spray loads on the face. Will definitely be repurchasing .

Marshmallow sponge - chloe cosmetics £8

Some of you may have seen this beauty blender doing the rounds on Tiktok. I think it’s a great little beauty blender and it does the job of blending your foundation really well. It also does expand three times the size when it’s damp. It’s a really good little beauty blender and very affordable.

Lisa Eldridge foundation - Shade 4 - £44

Similar to the rare beauty foundation the shade is perfect for my skin tone. Light/ medium coverage and is buildable . This foundation can be a bit finicky when applying - especially if your primer / spf hasn’t absorbed enough. It splits quite badly but I put this down to me applying it too soon . It usually is lovely if you wait long enough. Good longevity and feels super light on my skin. I like it but again don’t love it enough to repurchase and at £44 is a little pricy. This is a pump dispenser which I prefer to the applicatior things. Really dislike the shape of the bottle . It doesn’t stand up and the lid needs to be flush in order for it to be closed which is also a bit of nuisance.

• Heart
Not sure if anyone is interested or not but I have recently bought a few make up bits and tested them out. Just as a point of reference - I have mature skin which is often dry ( mostly the top of my nose and also the forehead) . The rest of my skin I think is normal ( I don’t have large pores and I’m not oily). I wear fair shades in foundation.

Rare Beauty - light tinted foundation in 12C

Comes with an application sponge thingy to dab on your face. Loved the shade match - it’s one of the most accurate I have ever used. The formula is lightweight and light coverage. It’s also buildable for extra coverage although if your looking for fuller coverage then this won’t be for you. As the day progressed the foundation started to separate - primarily around the nose area. It’s also a dewy natural finish but it is not OTT dewy ( where you end up shiny). I liked it but would I buy again - no I don’t think so. It’s not worth the £26 price tag imo. I also think it’s more suited to the younger demographic as the packaging was very much kylie Jenner style.

Rare Beauty blush and lip gloss combo :- £17 for the set.

Super pigmented blush and lip stick - I chose the shade believe in the blush which is a deep pink and kindness in the lip stick which is a nude shade. I would use the blush sparingly as a little really does go a long way. Blends very easily into the skin. The shade is a little too dark for my skin tone but this is on me as I picked a slightly darker tone blush. The lipstick is not for me - again shade is not quite right. The formula itself is lovely and soft . Easy to apply but longevity ( on me at least) wasn’t the best. I loved the blush so I would def buy a lighter tone blush in future but wouldn’t buy another lipstick.

Charlotte Tilbury - setting spray £15 for 34ml

Expensive but worth the price. Slightly scented but isn’t unpleasant. One of the best setting sprays I have ever used. You don’t need to spray loads on the face. Will definitely be repurchasing .

Marshmallow sponge - chloe cosmetics £8

Some of you may have seen this beauty blender doing the rounds on Tiktok. I think it’s a great little beauty blender and it does the job of blending your foundation really well. It also does expand three times the size when it’s damp. It’s a really good little beauty blender and very affordable.

Lisa Eldridge foundation - Shade 4 - £44

Similar to the rare beauty foundation the shade is perfect for my skin tone. Light/ medium coverage and is buildable . This foundation can be a bit finicky when applying - especially if your primer / spf hasn’t absorbed enough. It splits quite badly but I put this down to me applying it too soon . It usually is lovely if you wait long enough. Good longevity and feels super light on my skin. I like it but again don’t love it enough to repurchase and at £44 is a little pricy. This is a pump dispenser which I prefer to the applicatior things. Really dislike the shape of the bottle . It doesn’t stand up and the lid needs to be flush in order for it to be closed which is also a bit of nuisance.
I adore the CT setting spray, I think it’s brilliant! And really love the Rare blush, it is soooo so pigmented. It is gorgeous though - like you say a little goes a long way and I have moments of really having to trust the process hahaha, random but you should try it under your foundation because it gives such a gorgeous natural colour that way too!

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.