24 hours in Police Custody - Channel 4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Well they mentioned other crimes they did and the fact they used a stolen motorbike to get away from the attempted burgalry does kinda link it to the case , not sure why you feel the need to argue this 🤷‍♀️
I’m not arguing 😂 I pointed out it had nothing to do with this case. L

Reactions: 1
The two little scumbags are trying to sue him for their injuries but whilst still injured was off out in another uninsured car with equipment suggesting they were off to attempt another burglary where they got caught

Both plead guilty and the fact that they were clearly off out to do it again before that case even reached court shows that they shouldn’t be on the streets

• Angry
Reactions: 14
Just watched the episode. Absolutely appalled with our justice system. Are people not allowed to defend themselves? What if it was a young woman attacked and punched the attacker in defence, causing the attacker to hit their head and die? They would probably go to jail as well. The law is a mess at the moment.

I can sort of see the judge’s point from the angle of Adam driving at a high speed and potentially injuring an innocent member of the public, however where do you draw the line when your home and family (including an unborn child) are being threatened. Those two work-shy lowlifes have become career criminals. One of them was moaning about being a mechanic but quite frankly he should be grateful for a job in the current climate and with his criminal record. They only think of themselves. The Bedford guy was talking about his children but quite clearly couldn’t give a tit about the mother of his own child!! Even the custody officer. I saw them taking absolutely 0 responsibility for their actions and so the judge was talking absolute shite when they said that. Adam on the other hand was so cut up and clearly showed remorse for his part in the crash. The sentences should’ve been the other way around. The only reason those thugs are going for compensation is so they can continue to live off the hard work of other people. They need to take a long hard look at themselves.

I really felt for Adam when he was speaking about having to abort his and Lindsey’s child. It’s one of the hardest decisions to make and not for others to judge. A child would’ve out a huge strain on their already fraught situation and I wish them all the best for the future as they move away and hopefully make a fresh start. I hope Adam can get his conviction overturned one day.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Just watched the episode. Absolutely appalled with our justice system. Are people not allowed to defend themselves? What if it was a young woman attacked and punched the attacker in defence, causing the attacker to hit their head and die? They would probably go to jail as well. The law is a mess at the moment.

I can sort of see the judge’s point from the angle of Adam driving at a high speed and potentially injuring an innocent member of the public, however where do you draw the line when your home and family (including an unborn child) are being threatened. Those two work-shy lowlifes have become career criminals. One of them was moaning about being a mechanic but quite frankly he should be grateful for a job in the current climate and with his criminal record. They only think of themselves. The Bedford guy was talking about his children but quite clearly couldn’t give a tit about the mother of his own child!! Even the custody officer. I saw them taking absolutely 0 responsibility for their actions and so the judge was talking absolute shite when they said that. Adam on the other hand was so cut up and clearly showed remorse for his part in the crash. The sentences should’ve been the other way around. The only reason those thugs are going for compensation is so they can continue to live off the hard work of other people. They need to take a long hard look at themselves.

I really felt for Adam when he was speaking about having to abort his and Lindsey’s child. It’s one of the hardest decisions to make and not for others to judge. A child would’ve out a huge strain on their already fraught situation and I wish them all the best for the future as they move away and hopefully make a fresh start. I hope Adam can get his conviction overturned one day.
He didn’t defend himself that’s the problem. The boys ran away and he chased them when he was no longer in danger and by doing so could have injured anyone else on those roads. I’m 50/50 on his intentions and think he was most likely not thinking straight. The two boys should absolutely have been punished though, they had a career of wrong doings so why would they change now

It’s unfair but the way the law saw it was what was his aim by chasing them? Was he just going to follow them for miles and miles and do nothing - doubtful

I don’t agree they should get away with it at all they are both terrors

Also don’t think he was a mechanic just that he once wanted to be but being a criminal seemed liked easier money

Reactions: 23
He didn’t defend himself that’s the problem. The boys ran away and he chased them when he was no longer in danger and by doing so could have injured anyone else on those roads. I’m 50/50 on his intentions and think he was most likely not thinking straight. The two boys should absolutely have been punished though, they had a career of wrong doings so why would they change now
100%, he put so many innocent people at risk by driving so dangerously. Vile, I’m glad no innocent bystander was injured (or worse) because of his recklessness

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I guess it’s because he took a large heavy vehicle out to chase the burglars, who were no longer a threat to him or his property as they ran off, was driving too fast and dangerously, damaged others property and luckily didn’t injure or kill anyone else.

I suspect also trying to set a precedent to stop others being vigilantes and pursuing/hurting these little terrors. If he were to get away with it you’d get a lot more people doing similar I’d imagine

I did say to my partner that his solicitor seemed to let him say way too much and a ‘no comment’ interview would have meant the police had to prove his intent. Telling them he was angry etc doesn’t help him. No expert but have learnt from watching this show no comment is usually the best policy over honesty

It’s a really tough one his punishment shouldn’t have been longer than those two life criminals though. Not sure how it’s in public interest to have two known thieves still out and about but that’s fucked up England for us

Reactions: 22
Is there though? I had someone break into our family car on the driveway in the summer and I lost sleep over that. My husband chased them off but I was absolutely petrified they would return and finish off what they started. It's awful to think you are not protected in your own home. And what's worse if you defend yourself you're the one prosecuted!
Sadly the scum doesnt have to actually take anything for the damage to be caused,psychological damage is much slower to repair and quite often is lifelong. The anger can take over in situations like this,so I can understand his reaction. Im just glad no innkcent person was caught up in the carnage,sadly there was significant damage caused to other people's vehicles. As for the 2 scum bags they were picked up in an uninsured vehicle,the bike they crashed had been stolen,they will always be criminals because they dont have the intelligence to earn money legally. Their punishments were an absolute joke,the laws,the courts and the judges in this country are failing decent members of society

Reactions: 4
I did say to my partner that his solicitor seemed to let him say way too much and a ‘no comment’ interview would have meant the police had to prove his intent. Telling them he was angry etc doesn’t help him. No expert but have learnt from watching this show no comment is usually the best policy over honesty
This! If there’s one thing I’ve learned from watching the show, it’s that even if you’re innocent, do not comment and use a pre prepared statement.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
This! If there’s one thing I’ve learned from watching the show, it’s that even if you’re innocent, do not comment and use a pre prepared statement.
Used to infuriate me the no comment thing but then I found out that the reason they do it is because it’s not your job to prove you are innocent it’s the police job to prove you are guilty and by speaking you are actually helping them. Mad really isn’t it

I think one of the criminals lawyers explained it and why that’s what they do

Reactions: 13
I don’t see how it was in the public interest to procecute White.
I think there had to be some kind of consequences for putting other road users at risk and damage caused to the other vehicles in the crash,I suppose its a way of trying to deter others in the future. I dont agree with him being given a custodial sentence and the scum bags were given suspended sentences,this all stemmed from their criminality,pure and simple. They clearly thought that by carrying weapons ,they were hard men and safe. Sadly the law sees it as the home owner was no longer at risk after they ran off,but by persuing them he had then gone from 'self defence' to 'persuing ' and 'attacking'/'assaulting' whilst endangering other road users. The laws need to be updated so criminals,especially career criminals are not protected or treated leniently when injurred whilst commiting or attempting to commit crime

Sadly the scum doesnt have to actually take anything for the damage to be caused,psychological damage is much slower to repair and quite often is lifelong. The anger can take over in situations like this,so I can understand his reaction. Im just glad no innkcent person was caught up in the carnage,sadly there was significant damage caused to other people's vehicles. As for the 2 scum bags they were picked up in an uninsured vehicle,the bike they crashed had been stolen,they will always be criminals because they dont have the intelligence to earn money legally. Their punishments were an absolute joke,the laws,the courts and the judges in this country are failing decent members of society
They DO have the intelligence to earn money legally, they just don’t WANT to. Nothing stopping them becoming builders/ labourers/ working in shops/ whatever but they can’t be fucked. Too easy to take a crowbar to someone else’s house and nick tit, then get a pathetic slap on the wrist.

The crux of the matter re Adam, is as said previously above, that he could have killed someone, and what was he trying achieve by driving like a nutter after them, other than to injure them? Hence the 22 months.

Reactions: 10
They DO have the intelligence to earn money legally, they just don’t WANT to. Nothing stopping them becoming builders/ labourers/ working in shops/ whatever but they can’t be fucked. Too easy to take a crowbar to someone else’s house and nick tit, then get a pathetic slap on the wrist.

The crux of the matter re Adam, is as said previously above, that he could have killed someone, and what was he trying achieve by driving like a nutter after them, other than to injure them? Hence the 22 months.
There are no deterrents for career criminals, until the law changes,incidents like this will keep happening, sadly.As you rightly said,their mentality is,'why work hard,when you can just take what you want'

Reactions: 9
100%, he put so many innocent people at risk by driving so dangerously. Vile, I’m glad no innocent bystander was injured (or worse) because of his recklessness
This is it in a nutshell and that’s why he was convicted. The sentence seemed harsh though. His wife says these two would not have been identified withoutbeing chased. No they wouldn’t but neither would there have been that massive smash, an innocent member of the public injured and the huge cost of the investigation, emergency services input etc. Police chases are closely regulated and they are also told to cease if it becomes a risk to life.

While I feel sorry that he got that prison sentence I won’t be donating to any GoFundMe, I’d rather the cash went towards the enormous financial cost to the taxpayer for his reckless actions.

the would be burglars are wasters but in the end they took nothing and ran the moment they realised they had been spotted. He went after them while angry in a vehicle which everyone knows is a loaded weapon when driven by someone in that state of mind. Would you still be defending him if he’d killed a relative of yours while chasing the,?

• Heart
This is it in a nutshell and that’s why he was convicted. The sentence seemed harsh though. His wife says these two would not have been identified withoutbeing chased. No they wouldn’t but neither would there have been that massive smash, an innocent member of the public injured and the huge cost of the investigation, emergency services input etc. Police chases are closely regulated and they are also told to cease if it becomes a risk to life.

While I feel sorry that he got that prison sentence I won’t be donating to any GoFundMe, I’d rather the cash went towards the enormous financial cost to the taxpayer for his reckless actions.

the would be burglars are wasters but in the end they took nothing and ran the moment they realised they had been spotted. He went after them while angry in a vehicle which everyone knows is a loaded weapon when driven by someone in that state of mind. Would you still be defending him if he’d killed a relative of yours while chasing the,?
No innocent member of the public was actually injured fortunately - the only two injured were the thieves and my sympathy for them is zero. It didn’t affect them too much as they were out on the Rob again whilst still on crutches

Reactions: 8
I have zero sympathy for them either. I don’t have a lot for Adam either but I do have some as I think the sentence was harsh. He did bring that on himself though by making the decisions he did.

Reactions: 7
Like others on here, I too was appalled at the decision to prosecute Adam.
I felt like the DCI went out of his way to prove that he had intentionally used his vehicle as a weapon, even though the evidence given to us would state otherwise (tires blown due to contact with the pavement and the imprint of text suggesting sudden braking).
Even more so, I do not believe that it was in the public's interest to prosecute Adam. Police cannot provide evidence of "might have". Yes, he was driving dangerously, as were the offender's. Yes, there may have been public walking, but there wasn't. Yes, there may have been a member of the public injured, but there wasn't.
Imprisonment is a form of punishment. To restrict someone's liberty. Why they felt that was a suitable sentence for Adam is beyond me, as his presentence report surely would have outlined how he has already been punished (fear of revenge, loss of baby) and also the fact he showed genuine remorse for his actions.

For me, the minute the two offenders declined to make a statement should have been the end of the investigation.

Reactions: 9
Yes, he was driving dangerously, as were the offender's. Yes, there may have been public walking, but there wasn't. Yes, there may have been a member of the public injured, but there wasn't.
That’s not how it works though. You don’t only get charged if someone gets hurt - defeats the purpose of it being a deterrent

Reactions: 2
Like others on here, I too was appalled at the decision to prosecute Adam.
I felt like the DCI went out of his way to prove that he had intentionally used his vehicle as a weapon, even though the evidence given to us would state otherwise (tires blown due to contact with the pavement and the imprint of text suggesting sudden braking).
Even more so, I do not believe that it was in the public's interest to prosecute Adam. Police cannot provide evidence of "might have". Yes, he was driving dangerously, as were the offender's. Yes, there may have been public walking, but there wasn't. Yes, there may have been a member of the public injured, but there wasn't.
Imprisonment is a form of punishment. To restrict someone's liberty. Why they felt that was a suitable sentence for Adam is beyond me, as his presentence report surely would have outlined how he has already been punished (fear of revenge, loss of baby) and also the fact he showed genuine remorse for his actions.

For me, the minute the two offenders declined to make a statement should have been the end of the investigation.
Okay, at the beginning they showed them prowling around and then fleeing when they realised they had been spotted. At this point Adam should have phoned the police, made a report and gone back to bed. He did not. Full of anger (and I don’t blame him for the anger) he took a car and in a high speed reckless chase ended up causing a huge accident. His defence was totally out of all proportion to the actions against him. That’s why he was prosecuted and rightly so.

The two would be burglars had trespassed on his driveway but as far as I can tell that’s a.. they did. That is why they didn’t go to prison.

I don’t think he should have gone to prison either but I’m not the judge,

Reactions: 8